The Student Room Group

Anyone else detest feminism?

Makes my eyes roll when I see privileged rich, white women like Emma Watson, Lena Dunham and Taylor Swift speak about feminism. It's pathetic.

Who made the tax-avoiding, famous-because-of-her-parent's-connections, Emma Watson the spokesperson for feminism? She is the embodiment of privilege.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm fairly indifferent to feminism, although I do enjoy its ability to make its opponents very emotional.
Amen
Original post by DraculaMihawk
Makes my eyes roll when I see privileged rich, white women like Emma Watson, Lena Dunham and Taylor Swift speak about feminism. It's pathetic.

Who made the tax-avoiding, famous-because-of-her-parent's-connections, Emma Watson the spokesperson for feminism? She is the embodiment of privilege.

So Emma Watson shouldnt be able to offer an opinion because of her socio-economic status?
feminismˈfɛmɪnɪz(ə)m/nounnoun: feminism

the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.

Cant say I get excited about it or feel threatened , insecure or overemotional about it.

Why would you detest equality? Do you believe you are superior because you are male?

If I saw a situation where men had an unjust advantage with unfair results, then I would be fully supportive of women who wanted to equalise that. You'd have to be pathetic to object to that.

Cants see the problem of Emma Watson, Lena Dunham and Taylor Swift speaking out as they do it less for themselves but for women that dont have their public profile. O'd have to know what it is they were adcocating before i'd know whether I agreed with it or not. Certainly not threatened by it.
(edited 7 years ago)
I detect high levels of sodium chloride in this thread.
If Emma Watson stands up for feminism people complain because she is privelaged, and when she does nothing people will still complain because she is doing nothing

You can never please people
I am for feminism. What I dislike is hardcore feminists: I disagree with their methods.
I don't dislike feminism. I'm all for women having equal rights. It's the so called "feminism" where men are ripped to shreds and seen as inferior simply because they are male that I strongly dislike and disagree with.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm sure a poor Pakistani woman who needs feminism would be happy to give the speech...

..if she wasn't being oppressed. As you might imagine it's difficult to be a role model for women everywhere when nobody knows who you are and you're living in a third world country.

I think it's good rich women in the public sphere are doing their bit to help. They could easily just be spending their time and money being socialites.

Also nice cherry picking of names: I noticed you omitted for example Malala Yousafzai.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
feminismˈfɛmɪnɪz(ə)m/nounnoun: feminism

the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.

Cant say I get excited about it or feel threatened , insecure or overemotional about it.

Why would you detest equality? Do you believe you are superior because you are male?

you're joking. obviously. you'd never be so naive to think that a movement that defines itself to be a movement for gender equality would *actually* be about principled and legitimate equality of the sexes.

the narrative of feminism today (key word = "today'] is that of patriarchy, rape culture, objectification, (non-existent~) wage gaps, man-spreading, man-splaining, male privilege, white-man shaming, etc.
if you think for just 1 second about the central theme of these ideas, it is that men are bad. men are equal to women...yet they're bad? hm? that's "gender equality" in its theoretical scope? men are said to be culturally rapists, oppressive patriarchs, discriminatory at work, cat-calling, privileging men over women etc - seeing as these things are simply untrue or are exaggerated beyond all recognition (and that's me being very liberal here) how the hell is this about equality when it is nothing but a movement that DIVIDES the genders?

if you really wanted gender equality, and egalitarianism, you wouldn't need these gender quotas/lists, higher retirement ages for women, definitions of rape that privilege women, legal systems that routinely privilege mothers and wives over fathers and husbands, having more parental leave time for women, having misogyny and not misandry as a "hate crime", having a justice system that has 90% of the victims of which as male and imprisoning men while not imprisoning women for the same crimes, health spending that systematically privileges female cancer patients compared to male cancer patients, only jailing men for intoxicated sex with another "rape(!)", forcing men to pay for a child that not only they don't want and never intended to create, but for a child that the mother could abort based on these circumstances (an imbalance of legal reproructive rights) etc - you would merely have laws which don't discriminate and don't place one gender in higher regard - but feminist laws do exactly this - they legally privilege women over men. that is NOT equality. if feminists want equality of outcome, then they aren't in favour of foundational equality - you shouldn't be asking for MORE than the other gender to be equal, because that makes no sense at all. either you're equal and you act like it, or you're not. so feminism is NOT about equality. feminism is about parallel legal systems for men and women. that's separatism and segregation. was segregation a moment of equality in US legal history? um..**** no. open up your eyes and ears and assess this a little more rationall, because logic that could justify segregation in the US in the past could equally justify feminist segregation today.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by moonkatt
I detect high levels of sodium chloride in this thread.

I just post on what I see. Cant really get excited about it.
I support egalitarianism or so called "Moderate" feminism (not exactly moderate, more like mainstream) however extreme "Kill All Men" feminists disgust me, as for privileged celebrities speaking out in support of the idea, it doesn't bother me, at least they're making an attempt at intellectual thought unlike other female celebrities (Kim Kardashian :/)
Original post by 999tigger
I just post on what I see. Cant really get excited about it.

It was more the OP than anything. I couldn't care less about it all tbh, I don't know why people get so excited about it.
(edited 7 years ago)
[video="youtube;lGXu9UPHLlo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGXu9UPHLlo[/video]
Not really, but I detest Lena Dunham.
Can't stand Emma Watson's mainline feminism... you know the kind you see on the news or in politics where they not only repeat their feminist narrative that they haven't really looked into or seriously thought about, but don't realise how sexist their own statements are, even towards women.
(edited 7 years ago)
If youre against feminism you're a disgusting human being.

If you're against misandry that's different...
Original post by 1010marina
If youre against feminism you're a disgusting human being.

If you're against misandry that's different...

hm, so do you like MRAs? they're for mens rights - why on earth wouldn't you support the concept of men's rights? that would be misandrist, wouldn't it? are you an MRA then? (see how easy it is to use this tactic?)
All you need to do is take one look at mumsnet to see how toxic and anti-male feminism is these days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending