The Student Room Group

Should I take 3 AS Levels and a BTEC?

Okay, so I'm currently in year 11 and looking for some advice. One of the sixth form/ colleges that I am thinking of going to is offering me the opportunity to take my AS Levels in Maths (OCR), Physics (OCR), and French(AQA). As well as a BTEC in engineering (Pearson).

Obviously, this is quite a lot of work and I was wondering if anybody else has had a similar scenario in the past?

Also, if you are currently taking the subjects that I would like to take, would you tell me what the courses are like.

thanks in advance.
(edited 7 years ago)
A btec might be easy but you will drown in assignments and coupled with demanding subjects.I really don't feel that it would be a wise idea .I don't know though at the end of the day it is your choice
Reply 2
Original post by BeevsBeats
Okay, so I'm currently in year 11 and looking for some advice. One of the sixth form/ colleges that I am thinking of going to is offering me the opportunity to take my AS Levels in Maths (OCR), Physics (ORC), and French(AQA). As well as a BTEC in engineering (Pearson).

Obviously, this is quite a lot of work and I was wondering if anybody else has had a similar scenario in the past?

Also, if you are currently taking the subjects that I would like to take, would you tell me what the courses are like.

thanks in advance.

Take an AS level don't take a BTEC so if something does unfortunately go wrong with one of your AS levels you can drop it and keep your 4th AS or you will be stuck with the three.
Reply 3
Original post by Inspiringvisons
A btec might be easy but you will drown in assignments and coupled with demanding subjects.I really don't feel that it would be a wise idea .I don't know though at the end of the day it is your choice

To be honest I'm only thinking of taking maths to AS and dropping it. For my second year of college, I should be able to focus on my French, Physics, and engineering.

thanks for your help though.
Original post by BeevsBeats
To be honest I'm only thinking of taking maths to AS and dropping it. For my second year of college, I should be able to focus on my French, Physics, and engineering.

thanks for your help though.

That sounds more manageable .I was wondering though have you checked uni entry requirements now because some universities do not accept btecs for certain courses and it's easier to sort out things now then it is to sort out things when you start applying to uni.

Anyway you're welcome
2 of my friends did 3 AS and a BTEC last year and they had no problems with it
Reply 6
That sounds more manageable .I was wondering though have you checked uni entry requirements now because some universities do not accept btecs for certain courses and it's easier to sort out things now then it is to sort out things when you start applying to uni.

Anyway you're welcome

I wasn't planning on university anyway, I was thinking of an engineering apprenticeship with my local rail company (hence btec engineering).

Although I could take the apprenticeship from sixteen I'm thinking that A levels would be good to fall back on given that the apprenticeship is 4 years long.
Are the apprenticeship ok with it ?
If they are then you're okay with your current route
Reply 8
Are the apprenticeship ok with it ?
If they are then you're okay with your current route

Good point there. I haven't actually looked into the apprenticing properly yet. :/

Quick Reply

Latest