The Student Room Group

Is my radiator not working or am I being stupid?

I have moved into a new room and I can't get the radiator to work. It's got a thermostat rotating thing which goes from 0 to 4 but this doesn't seem to be doing anything. There's no sound from the radiator or anything. I can't find any obvious switches or buttons on the radiator. I think I'm probably going to have to contact Accomodation but I just wanted to check that there isn't some special trick or button that's on radiators that I need to press?

Scroll to see replies

yh i think u should contact accommodation especially when it's starting to get colder
The radiator might have a thermostatic valve at the bottom which has to be turned.

Or it might have been isolated at a valve - try twisting the knobs at the bottom

Or it might be completely airlocked (estates have to sort that out)

Or it might be something else
Dont you have a porter? can you ask any of your friends in the building how theirs work?
Maybe the central heating needs to be on in order for it to work, in which case you'll have to look at your boiler.

Maybe it just needs bleeding.

Maybe it's just shy.
Turn the knob on the radiator? idk :L
Reply 6
They might not have turned the boiler on yet
Original post by Plagioclase
I have moved into a new room and I can't get the radiator to work. It's got a thermostat rotating thing which goes from 0 to 4 but this doesn't seem to be doing anything. There's no sound from the radiator or anything. I can't find any obvious switches or buttons on the radiator. I think I'm probably going to have to contact Accomodation but I just wanted to check that there isn't some special trick or button that's on radiators that I need to press?

Hope u sort it out Plig :yy:
DRAMATIC Update: Maintenance has been and they can't figure out what the problem is so a plumber has been called. I am to be given an electric heater in the meantime.

The plot thickens...
DRAMATIC Update: Maintenance has been and they can't figure out what the problem is so a plumber has been called. I am to be given an electric heater in the meantime.

The plot thickens...

DUN. DUN. DUN.

Just hug your rocks to keep you warm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
DUN. DUN. DUN.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only have one, my parents couldn't bring my stuff over this week so I just came over with the bare essentials :frown:

The plot thickens...

Better thicken those bed sheets then
Go buy a polka dot ikea blanket :tongue:

DUN. DUN. DUN.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lel
I only have one, my parents couldn't bring my stuff over this week so I just came over with the bare essentials :frown:

This is very sad, if you had two you could at least hit them together and make a FIYAAAAAAAAH.
This is very sad, if you had two you could at least hit them together and make a FIYAAAAAAAAH.

I feel like this would be a really good way of making myself incredibly unpopular with the people in my building when their first impression of me is burning their rooms down...
I feel like this would be a really good way of making myself incredibly unpopular with the people in my building when their first impression of me is burning their rooms down...

At least it'll be warm ^^
DRAMATIC UPDATE II: The electric heater has been delivered but the moment I turned it on, the radiator starts working again!

Well, that's the end of this story. It's been an emotional journey. Don't forget to like, comment and subscribe.
(edited 7 years ago)
DRAMATIC UPDATE II: The electric heater has been delivered but the moment I turned it on, the radiator starts working again!

Well, that's the end of this story. It's been an emotional journey. Don't forget to like, comment and subscribe.

Where can I buy merch?
Where can I buy merch?

You can get it as a sponsor perk on my patreon.

The plot thickens...

well at least you did soemthing and its not your problem. You cna sleep easy now. Try not to burn the building down.
Original post by 999tigger
well at least you did soemthing and its not your problem. You cna sleep easy now. Try not to burn the building down.

Thanks. If I do burn the building down then I will be sure to let you all know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending