The Student Room Group

Theresa May is looking like should could be the best PM since Churchill!

As a 'hard' brexiteer, I was a bit miffed when Theresa was appointed PM. However she has exceeded my wildest expectations, and been far far better than I expected.

She is not weak like Cameron, not slimey like Blair and is a damn sight more reasonable than the current joke leadership trio of Labour in Corbyn, Abbott and Chakrabati.

With her nationalist, right-leaning social policies counterbalanced by her slightly more liberal touch economically, we could really be entering a golden age of one-nation Toryism.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by richpanda
As a 'hard' brexiteer, I was a bit miffed when Theresa was appointed PM. However she has exceeded my wildest expectations, and been far far better than I expected.

She is not weak like Cameron, not slimey like Blair and is a damn sight more reasonable than the current joke leadership trio of Labour in Corbyn, Abbott and Chakrabati.

With her nationalist, right-leaning social policies counterbalanced by her slightly more liberal touch economically, we could really be entering a golden age of one-nation Toryism.

Thoughts?

If May attempts to start Brexit and Scotland has another independence referendum to leave the UK and rejoin the EU and modern world then May will be remembered as the PM who tore the UK apart and ended a 300 year Union when she could have offered a second EU referendum instead.

May will also be remembered as the PM who took Britain back 50 years.

May will be remembered as the leader who restarted the troubles in Northern Ireland if the Irish are taken out of the EU against their will and separated from Republic of Ireland. Similarly if NI gets a referendum to join with the south then unionists could start the troubles.

Mays only saving grace is she'll be loved by the far right and Britain first for taking us out of the EU but then who gives a toss what the far right thinks?

Any leader who starts Brexit is gonna cause a lot of grief and widespread consequences.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Ambitious1999
If May attempts to start Brexit and Scotland has another independence referendum to leave the UK and rejoin the EU and modern world then May will be remembered as the PM who tore the UK apart and ended a 300 year Union when she could have offered a second EU referendum instead.

May will be remembered as the leader who restarted the troubles in Northern Ireland if the Irish are taken out of the EU against their will and separated from Republic of Ireland. Similarly if NI gets a referendum to join with the south then unionists could start the troubles.

Any leader who starts Brexit is gonna cause a lot of grief and widespread consequences.

Lol you guys are trying too hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
She could well end up as a wartime Prime Minister.
Reply 4
Original post by Ambitious1999

Mays only saving grace is she'll be loved by the far right and Britain first for taking us out of the EU but then who gives a toss what the far right thinks?

Have you just chucked every single triggered remainer buzzword in to a pot and come out with this?

Scotland won't leave the union. Neither will NI.

Leaving the EU is the best thing in the long run.

Calling over 17 million people in the UK 'far right' is very weird. Only 4 million people voted for UKIP in 2015, and they're hardly what most rational people call far-right.
So because you thought she would not be good at the most important decision in England in a long time, but in fact it turns out she is supportive of it after all, you now think she will be the best PM ever?

Lulz.
Reply 6
Churchill was a horrible man.
Yeah she has been very good! Hopefully she'll deliver s proper Brexit with no more freedom of movement.
Churchill wasn't a great peacetime PM. I think she could be another Supermac - she's certainly borrowed some of his clothes.
Reply 9
Original post by yudothis
So because you thought she would not be good at the most important decision in England in a long time, but in fact it turns out she is supportive of it after all, you now think she will be the best PM ever?

Lulz.

That is a reason, but not the only reason. Her mix of liberal and conservative policies is the main one, and not being a puppy to EU leaders and the US.
That is a reason, but not the only reason. Her mix of liberal and conservative policies is the main one, and not being a puppy to EU leaders and the US.

I see.
Reply 11
I need to see how she copes in the next world war though.
Reply 12
Original post by Spratty
Churchill was a horrible man.

Politics isn't for nice guys.
Bit early? Other than a bit of rhetoric, she hasn't really done anything yet. Trying to draw parallels with Churchill at this stage is like giving Obama the Nobel Peace Prize just after he started his presidency.
She is fantastic.
Reply 15

Thoughts?

I didn't think we could get worse than Blair, then Teresa starting doing stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you just chucked every single triggered remainer buzzword in to a pot and come out with this?

Scotland won't leave the union. Neither will NI.

Leaving the EU is the best thing in the long run.

Calling over 17 million people in the UK 'far right' is very weird. Only 4 million people voted for UKIP in 2015, and they're hardly what most rational people call far-right.

Nicola Sturgeon has already said that she will call a second Scottish independence referendum if Scotland is taken out of the EU and thus the modern world against their will.

The majority of Catholics and republicans in NI want to remain in the EU. They also want an open border with the Republic of Ireland. If NI is taken out of the EU the border will be closed and people will feel they're being separated from their fellow Catholics in the south. They will do all they can to get full independence and unification with the Republic of Ireland. Who can blame them?
If they do become independent then unionists and Protestants in NI will do all they can to stop this.....Basically you have the troubles and provincial terror back again. the Good Friday agreement down the toilet. That will be May's legacy,

Now Wales and the Welsh national party is anti-Brexit.

Even if this doesn't happen you will get a lot of British firms moving over to the Republic of Ireland to enjoy the free trade and benefits of EU membership.

If I was May I'd not want this mess on my mind. I'd either offer a second EU referendum or do the decent thing and RESIGN!
Original post by Josb

Yes but history is written by the victors.Hitler is reviled for his anti-semetism yet churchill gets a free pass on his attitudes towards indians for example.
Original post by Josb

It's not politics when you decide to kill 3+ million people who have done nothing to you and your country.
Reply 19
I had a certain amount of respect for the Tories when they were up front about representing big business and those with money, and had a priority of making the economy work for this sector. What I dislike most is when they pretend to be acting for everyone and trying to be fair, as if we are really stupid enough to believe them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending