The Student Room Group

What would you expect your school to do if they forgot to submit c/w to board ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Drewski
Nobody would take such a claim seriously.

Nor should they.

If it place she the student in hen position he would have been in, had tthe negligenc not occurred, he yes,
Original post by Theplace
If it place she the student in hen position he would have been in, had tthe negligenc not occurred, he yes,

Once again in English?
What damages would you expect the school to pay.
Can't get an offer with less than a B.

Shouldn't the exam board contact the school? Surely they would realise that your coursework is missing?
Original post by sunshine774
Shouldn't the exam board contact the school? Surely they would realise that your coursework is missing?

It was a re-sit. From what I gather the school's error was that they entered the OP for the 'coursework carried forward' option, so the exam board wasn't expecting any coursework.
Original post by Compost
It was a re-sit. From what I gather the school's error was that they entered the OP for the 'coursework carried forward' option, so the exam board wasn't expecting any coursework.

Oh right... that's very unlucky!
Reply 65
Original post by sunshine774
Oh right... that's very unlucky!

Yes.
Yes.

I hope everything is sorted out- I'm sure it will be fine!:h:
Reply 67
What damages would you expect the school to pay.
Can't get an offer with less than a B.

My advice, as a person who is studying law, is that you can actully get some damages out of this. Firstly, the school had a duty to you (a contractual duty) to send your coursework in for you. As they have failed to meed their duty, they have recklessly breached it, your grade is too low to get accepted to your university choices.
Breaches of duty are a very serious issue in law, but I must tell you that if you will puruse legally with them (you will sue them) in the end it won'y be worth it.
Firstly, the fee for any case of this type is very high. It can get anywere form 5000 to 10000£ and more (for a solicitor, court room, papers, etc).
Secondly, the trial can be set bad. What I mean by this is that it may be in 2017 or even 2018.
Thirdly, the school could win. All they need is a good attorney and the claim that you were the one who verbally asked for your old coursework to be sent in instead of the new one and you changed your mind when it was too late....and they could actually win.
However, what I advise you is to write a complaint to the school's council (not the one inside the school, but the one of the burrow), to call (yourself) the exam board and to explain your problem and finally to call (again, yourself) the university you want to apply to. There is a posibility that the uni will ask to see your coursework (through an email with a letter from the school explaining their blame in your situation) and they may accept you despite your grade eith the old coursework. Remember, sometimes a captivating and passionate statement and interview make up for poor grades. If you have the passion and will to do what you want at uni, the unis will accept you.
Hope I helped you.
Original post by Drewski
Nope, just realistic. While you may want some form of compensation, you shouldn't expect any. And I'd be very surprised if you got any.

what is the loss ?

what is the quantum ?
Late to the thread but:

If they entered last year's coursework it's not really their fault. Yeah, it sucks you could have gotten a higher mark if they'd submitted a more recent one however they still submitted one.

It could be seen as partly your fault as well as you did the work, if your school didn't let you have another chance that's the one they would have had to submit (we didn't get to redo any CAs) It's your work, your grade, you just have to accept responsibility for it.

It's not the school's fault you didn't do well enough in a CA
Reply 70
Original post by spyter
My advice, as a person who is studying law, is that you can actully get some damages out of this. Firstly, the school had a duty to you (a contractual duty) to send your coursework in for you. As they have failed to meed their duty, they have recklessly breached it, your grade is too low to get accepted to your university choices.
Breaches of duty are a very serious issue in law, but I must tell you that if you will puruse legally with them (you will sue them) in the end it won'y be worth it.
Firstly, the fee for any case of this type is very high. It can get anywere form 5000 to 10000£ and more (for a solicitor, court room, papers, etc).
Secondly, the trial can be set bad. What I mean by this is that it may be in 2017 or even 2018.
Thirdly, the school could win. All they need is a good attorney and the claim that you were the one who verbally asked for your old coursework to be sent in instead of the new one and you changed your mind when it was too late....and they could actually win.
However, what I advise you is to write a complaint to the school's council (not the one inside the school, but the one of the burrow), to call (yourself) the exam board and to explain your problem and finally to call (again, yourself) the university you want to apply to. There is a posibility that the uni will ask to see your coursework (through an email with a letter from the school explaining their blame in your situation) and they may accept you despite your grade eith the old coursework. Remember, sometimes a captivating and passionate statement and interview make up for poor grades. If you have the passion and will to do what you want at uni, the unis will accept you.
Hope I helped you.

You helped tremendously, thankyou. Although the school has admitted their error, It has been an uphill battle getting them to address it, and leadership stating that it was just one school clerical error and nothing to complain about. But when your are applying to someone courses at some unis English is very important and will not be waived.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by Fluffpuffle
Late to the thread but:

If they entered last year's coursework it's not really their fault. Yeah, it sucks you could have gotten a higher mark if they'd submitted a more recent one however they still submitted one.

It could be seen as partly your fault as well as you did the work, if your school didn't let you have another chance that's the one they would have had to submit (we didn't get to redo any CAs) It's your work, your grade, you just have to accept responsibility for it.

It's not the school's fault you didn't do well enough in a CA

If you worked for months on three pieces of coursework and handed it in and it was graded and the school to,dmyountheybwere submitting it, because you were relying on it for s good grade, then you might not say this.
Reply 72
Original post by zippyRN
what is the loss ?

what is the quantum ?

Loss is a bad grade instead of a good grade in a very important subject.
Cannot apppy for unis and jobs without presenting mitigatinng circa.
Have to take exam again, interfering with summer, and other subjects, stress and a lot of distress,
More importantly, not one phone call from the school.
(edited 7 years ago)
If you worked for months on three pieces of coursework and handed it in and it was graded and the school to,dmyountheybwere submitting it, because you were relying on it for s good grade, then you might not say this.

No, I would move on and accept I should have done better the first time around than rely on the chance to have another go.

Not that we had a chance to have another go anyway so you'd have been screwed anyway if you had gone to my school.

Plus if you do well in the other units/exams you might be able to scrape a B
Reply 74
No, I would move on and accept I should have done better the first time around than rely on the chance to have another go.

Not that we had a chance to have another go anyway so you'd have been screwed anyway if you had gone to my school.

Plus if you do well in the other units/exams you might be able to scrape a B

I was ill during the year and could not sit the exam, hence the resit, it was worth 40 percent and it ksmthe component where you csm get a high grade.
Of course you have to resist if you want to go to a good uni, as I am doing, but it does not look good for anyone with academic aspirations.
I was ill during the year and could not sit the exam, hence the resit, it was worth 40 percent and it ksmthe component where you csm get a high grade.
Of course you have to resist if you want to go to a good uni, as I am doing, but it does not look good for anyone with academic aspirations.

Well what grade did you get? convert it into UMS and workout how many more UMS you'd have to get to achieve a B, it might still be possible.

Also in your reference make sure they mention your extenuating circumstaces re illness.

What subject is it, English?
Reply 76
Well what grade did you get? convert it into UMS and workout how many more UMS you'd have to get to achieve a B, it might still be possible.

Also in your reference make sure they mention your extenuating circumstaces re illness.

What subject is it, English?

Thankyou, Iit is indeed English Language IGCSE. It will be in the reference, however some unis disguard poor applications before they get to the reference, especially competitive proframes.
Thankyou, Iit is indeed English Language IGCSE. It will be in the reference, however some unis disguard poor applications before they get to the reference, especially competitive proframes.

I'm pretty sure a reference is part of UCAS and the uni will see it all at the same time? They'll read everything dw
Reply 78
I'm pretty sure a reference is part of UCAS and the uni will see it all at the same time? They'll read everything dw

One must meet the basic requirements first.
One must meet the basic requirements first.

They'll check for extenuating circumstances though, unless your predicted grades are way too low.

I'm not sure you know as much of the process as you think you do and I suggest you look further into it as that'll probably help a alot

Quick Reply

Latest