The Student Room Group

No motivation - final year

I'm in final year and already find myself falling behind with the content. I am doing a dissertation this year but haven't really chosen my topic properly yet, and may change it to something completely different. Whereas everyone else has their titles sorted. I have good intentions every day but don't seem to get much done.
I'm on track with most of my modules though as I have been doing all the preparatory reading, but I feel really stressed already with my dissertation.

I plan to get down with it in the library this weekend.

Anyone else in the same boat, or any suggestions?
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by peanutbuttercup
I'm in final year and already find myself falling behind with the content. I am doing a dissertation this year but haven't really chosen my topic properly yet, and may change it to something completely different. Whereas everyone else has their titles sorted. I have good intentions every day but don't seem to get much done.
I'm on track with most of my modules though as I have been doing all the preparatory reading, but I feel really stressed already with my dissertation.

Thanks

listen to some music, either soothing and relaxing or something hardcore (that's what i do) - occasionally, that is.

and most importantly, prioritise your work
Just think about the fact that you only have 7 months left, it will pass quickly, then it's all done. Also thinking about your future, think about what degree classification you might get if you keep falling behind stuff. A 3rd definitely doesn't look as good as a 2.1/1st to employers.
Reply 3
trouble with mathematics ?
Original post by 123teddy
trouble with mathematics ?
doing maths always cheers me up!
Reply 5
just wondering ? are you from syria ?

if

Bashar al-Assad

is great .. what is the real problem there ? the baghdadi dude ?
Reply 6

Thanks

Dissertation: Look for a module which has interested you in the past. Ask the module leader for a chat about potential topics based on that module. Try to go to the meeting with a couple of vague ideas.

Thanks

Hello :smile:,

It's a common feeling in Third Year - sort of feels like you've burned out and have no motivation to continue - but you can do it!

My suggestion is that you take a week to refocus on some things and have some planning time. Do some things that relax you and do a bit of work in moderation and just build yourself up - a bit at a time.

Equally, go to the support system at your university; e.g. Learning Advice / Development and talk to them about your feeling and they'll be able to advice you on what will work best for you.

Good luck! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest