The Student Room Group

Should I apply to AAA universities even if I've been predicted A*AA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kiritsugu
I can feel your pain and pressure. For me, my A-levels are hard too. There are some useful strategies that can be adopted though.

What are your A-levels by the way? FM, Physics and Chemistry?

Biology, maths and chemistry. You?
Original post by APersonYo
That's what I want to do. I mean, it will be extremely less stressful. But theres always that question of... ' what if?' you know? I mean, I did do quite well in maths last year. All I need to get this year is A*A* E and I have an A* overall. But, I'm finding core 3 and the work-load quite hard this year due to being ill so i'm not sure.

Well I saw that you want to apply to Manchester for chemeng (I'm watching that thread ok) and would say definitely go for it, they have another course for AAA meng without industry year which they might make u do instead if u get AAA but I think they'll still let u do the course u want to.
Reply 22
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
Well I saw that you want to apply to Manchester for chemeng (I'm watching that thread ok) and would say definitely go for it, they have another course for AAA meng without industry year which they might make u do instead if u get AAA but I think they'll still let u do the course u want to.

Oh, you also want to apply to do chemical engineering? Their masters course wants A* AA ... I really like it there! That would be my only A*AA course, but I really don't think I'll get A*AA.

These were my UMS for maths:

92/ 100 for core 1

98/ 100 for core 2

89/ 100 for S1

S1 was the only module I didn't know before hand
Essentially my math teacher believes I can achieve an A* in maths and I do not. I only did well in my AS year because I did additional further maths at GCSE and I redid my AS year so I knew core 1 and core 2 like the back of my hand, it wasn't because I was amazing at maths or anything. I did get a B in biology at AS;however I was really close to the boundary and I knew where I went wrong ( my school gave me a really bad book to study from). I do believe I am not totally inept at maths, so I do think I could manage an A, it's just an A* is too crazy and hard to achieve.

What are your thoughts?

I am in a similar situation to you.

I resat yr 12 after getting BUU.
Got A*Maths - 588, B in Economics - 72% was an A (Ikr - I'm still a failure)
Currently doing Further Maths, Economics(doubt it will be a high prediction - B+), picked up Physics(pleading for an A prediction).

My Maths teacher said the same thing to me. - Didn't hesitate to predict me an A* for FM.

The key thing is to have confidence and do not be afraid to have a little bit of ambition.

As unrealistic/unlikely it may be - I want 4A*s overall. I am really interested in Physics currently but have lost interest/determination in Economics.

I'm applying for MMath at Durham which has requirements of A*A*A.

Keep in mind I resat yr 12 so chances are I'll be rejected.

Then again my only other choice is Lancaster - which is an absolutely brilliant Uni for the requirements.

Instead of worrying about achieving the requirements you should focus on actually receiving an offer. Kill that PS.
(edited 7 years ago)
Biology, maths and chemistry. You?

Tough subjects man - I'm doing Biology, maths and Computer Science. I know how hard chemistry is. and lol I was thinking of carrying on 4 A-levels..... In my current circumstances, I don't think that would have been the wisest decision.
Yeah focus on your personal statement too. It's very important.
Reply 26
Tough subjects man - I'm doing Biology, maths and Computer Science. I know how hard chemistry is. and lol I was thinking of carrying on 4 A-levels..... In my current circumstances, I don't think that would have been the wisest decision.

Chemistry is hard. But it suits my brain and so I enjoy learning chemistry. Biology is so much harder now.
Reply 27
Original post by Maths is Life
I am in a similar situation to you.

I resat yr 12 after getting BUU.
Got A*Maths - 588, B in Economics - 72% was an A (Ikr - I'm still a failure)
Currently doing Further Maths, Economics(doubt it will be a high prediction), picked up Physics(pleading for an A prediction).

My Maths teacher said the same thing to me. - Didn't hesitate to predict me an A* for FM

The key thing is to have confidence and do not be afraid to have a little bit of ambition.

As unrealistic/unlikely it may be - I want 4A*s overall. I am really interested in Physics currently but have lost interest/determination in Economics.

I'm applying for MMath at Durham which has requirements of A*A*A

Keep in mind I resat yr 12 so chances are I'll be rejected.

Then again my only other choice is Lancaster - which is an absolutely brilliant Uni for the requirements.

Instead of worrying about achieving the requirements you should focus on actually receiving an offer. Kill that PS.

What subjects did you do in your first year? I got ABCCD in my first year. I retook and got AAB. I was 3 marks off an A in biology.. how annoying. They are really picky with resit students. That's why Im avoiding bath.
My personal statement is doing quite well at the moment.
Chemistry is hard. But it suits my brain and so I enjoy learning chemistry. Biology is so much harder now.

Biology is a lot harder now. They're going through the course content so fast and there's so much chunks of stuff to understand and be able to apply. You do not want to fall behind in any of your subjects lol.

Oh and about your illness you need to quickly get back in gear :smile: Illnesses are some of the worst things. But you must come back sharper and stronger than ever. The hardest thing is being organised and managing your time effectively. Once you got those down though, you can go in and invest and immerse yourself in videos, powerpoints, past papers, mark schemes, reports, specifications, flash cards, mind maps and posters and pictures and stick them on your wall - anything!
What subjects did you do in your first year? I got ABCCD in my first year. I retook and got AAB. I was 3 marks off an A in biology.. how annoying. They are really picky with resit students. That's why Im avoiding bath.
My personal statement is doing quite well at the moment.

Yeah - them are really good First year results - you could've considered a gap year tbh. - Deferred entry is a good strategy + Work experience.
I did Maths, Physics, Chemistry..........General Studies(pls ignore this)

Also like to say I switched colleges. My first year college was bad in countless ways, I regret so much in life lol...

As much as I came to hate Chemistry, I was also intrigued by how difficult it was, they didn't let me switch for FM hence I set myself up to fail...

I have many excuses for Physics. However I'll just say I'm a late bloomer.

You just need a drive/determination and I have no doubt you will succeed as many others have before you.

Tbh I still really regret my A-level choices (Economics) as stupid as it sounds, my essay ability is poor.

I am constantly debating Computer Science however I couldn't be bothered with coursework.

WJEC doesn't offer Additional FM, otherwise I'd be all over that scene like a crazy mathematician although I cba with STEP/MAT.

Preparing for the TMUA and haven't even sent my UCAS yet.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Biology is a lot harder now. They're going through the course content so fast and there's so much chunks of stuff to understand and be able to apply. You do not want to fall behind in any of your subjects lol.

Oh and about your illness you need to quickly get back in gear :smile: Illnesses are some of the worst things. But you must come back sharper and stronger than ever. The hardest thing is being organised and managing your time effectively. Once you got those down though, you can go in and invest and immerse yourself in videos, powerpoints, past papers, mark schemes, reports, specifications, flash cards, mind maps and posters and pictures and stick them on your wall - anything!

Ive missed two whole topics in biology. I got glandular fever and I am still somewhat recovering. I have a full proof revision regime which can ensure me As in all my subjects, just not A*s.
Ive missed two whole topics in biology. I got glandular fever and I am still somewhat recovering. I have a full proof revision regime which can ensure me As in all my subjects, just not A*s.

You say you've missed "two whole topics in biology". Surely, if you don't have the vision in the first place, then you cannot conduct the revision. I don't know about your particular circumstances nor your study methods and plan, but it's going to be really tough and I think you should aim for 110% (know everything inside out) because you'll never get this time back. Might as well put everything you got on the line, don't you think?

Oh and don't put your health on the line. You need to be well if you wish to execute any sort of regime, right?
Reply 32
You say you've missed "two whole topics in biology". Surely, if you don't have the vision in the first place, then you cannot conduct the revision. I don't know about your particular circumstances nor your study methods and plan, but it's going to be really tough and I think you should aim for 110% (know everything inside out) because you'll never get this time back. Might as well put everything you got on the line, don't you think?

Oh and don't put your health on the line. You need to be well if you wish to execute any sort of regime, right?

I will easily catch up with the topics over the half term. I do work really hard. I literally do every question in existence or available for me for each of my topics.
I will easily catch up with the topics over the half term. I do work really hard. I literally do every question in existence or available for me for each of my topics.

Cool. Don't burn yourself out though. If you don't feel you can get an A*, you're probably right. But why should you give up getting it just because you think you can't get it? Might as well try your best. Given that you work very hard, it's reasonable to say you'll probably get at least one A*. You might as well apply for one course (if you really want to go to it) that has A*AA requirements, only if it's a good course for you, because you'll probably get an A*. Just don't make it your firm choice.

Who knows, if you work really hard, you might get more A*s. On the other hand, only a few people across the country are going to get A*s (that's the way the system works).

My guess is that it all boils down to how you're currently progressing, how willing you are to take your learning to the next level, and what you really want depending on your current life circumstances.
Reply 34
Cool. Don't burn yourself out though. If you don't feel you can get an A*, you're probably right. But why should you give up getting it just because you think you can't get it? Might as well try your best. Given that you work very hard, it's reasonable to say you'll probably get at least one A*. You might as well apply for one course (if you really want to go to it) that has A*AA requirements, only if it's a good course for you, because you'll probably get an A*. Just don't make it your firm choice.

Who knows, if you work really hard, you might get more A*s. On the other hand, only a few people across the country are going to get A*s (that's the way the system works).

My guess is that it all boils down to how you're currently progressing, how willing you are to take your learning to the next level, and what you really want depending on your current life circumstances.

I think applying to an AAA course is within my ability. I find core 3 quite hard actually and being ill at the start of the year has taken its toll. Also, I really don't want to do an interview and the AAA courses Im applying to will not require interview.. PHEW
I think applying to an AAA course is within my ability. I find core 3 quite hard actually and being ill at the start of the year has taken its toll. Also, I really don't want to do an interview and the AAA courses Im applying to will not require interview.. PHEW

I do Core 3 too and I think you'll be pleased to know it's not that hard to catch up in. A lot of the content is easily coverable and they're all similar.

Modulus is quite easy. Successive transformations is quite easy. There are like 5 topics on Differentiation and integration or similar things like exponential graphs to do with e^x and lnx. The hardest thing by far is trigonometry but even that isn't that hard if you can get your head around it.

I find doing mymaths and bashing textbook questions helps a lot. Do you do mymaths?
Reply 36
I do Core 3 too and I think you'll be pleased to know it's not that hard to catch up in. A lot of the content is easily coverable and they're all similar.

Modulus is quite easy. Successive transformations is quite easy. There are like 5 topics on Differentiation and integration or similar things like exponential graphs to do with e^x and lnx. The hardest thing by far is trigonometry but even that isn't that hard if you can get your head around it.

I find doing mymaths and bashing textbook questions helps a lot. Do you do mymaths?

We are currently doing the trigonometry topic and I do find it very hard. I was never behind on maths. I pick up the content pretty quickly;however, you do need to do a mass amount of practice questions to get anywhere.
You've answered your own question multiple times in this thread alone. Just to make a point clear - being predicted A*AA does not mean you HAVE to apply to unis that require A*AA. If you don't want to, don't feel confident, or just don't want to do interviews then don't. It's not guaranteed that A*AA will actually materialise for you and from the sounds of it you'd rather have an AAA offer lined up being confident you will get those grades and not have to faff around with clearing etc. I was predicted A*A*A for A levels and everyone said to apply to Oxford, I didn't want to, so I didn't. Good thing too as I only ended up with AAB overall. **** happens. You're being pretty sensible for someone on TSR, it's usually wildly unrealistic people asking if they can get an offer for an AAA uni when they got three Cs in their AS levels or something. Do what you feel comfortable with, if you go to a uni that requires AAA but you end up with A*AA then great, that's a nice bonus for you.*
Reply 38
Original post by infairverona
You've answered your own question multiple times in this thread alone. Just to make a point clear - being predicted A*AA does not mean you HAVE to apply to unis that require A*AA. If you don't want to, don't feel confident, or just don't want to do interviews then don't. It's not guaranteed that A*AA will actually materialise for you and from the sounds of it you'd rather have an AAA offer lined up being confident you will get those grades and not have to faff around with clearing etc. I was predicted A*A*A for A levels and everyone said to apply to Oxford, I didn't want to, so I didn't. Good thing too as I only ended up with AAB overall. **** happens. You're being pretty sensible for someone on TSR, it's usually wildly unrealistic people asking if they can get an offer for an AAA uni when they got three Cs in their AS levels or something. Do what you feel comfortable with, if you go to a uni that requires AAA but you end up with A*AA then great, that's a nice bonus for you.*

That is interesting. Thank you for your advice.
Where did you end up going to? I think I will stick to the AAA universities then :smile: How come you got predicted a*A*a ?
Oh, you also want to apply to do chemical engineering? Their masters course wants A* AA ... I really like it there! That would be my only A*AA course, but I really don't think I'll get A*AA.

Yup sure do, the masters course without the year in industry is AAA is what i meant. You dont really need an A* to get in.

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2017/03848/meng-chemical-engineering/#course-profile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest