The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Soulgeass

About the pooling system, am I right to think that if you get pooled and another college may be interested in you, you are required to go for another interview with that college?

No, the statistics from 2015 says: 1095 pooled applicants were made offers; of these, only 163 received offers following a pool interview. So most people are picked up directly without interviews.

Check the Winter Pool document at Cambridge website.
Reply 2641
Any else applying with Scottish Qualifications? Y'all won't know what this means haha but here goes:

Nat 5: (GCSE equivalent) 8A
Highers (AS equivalents): Maths A1 (95% raw marks, we don't do UMS), English A1, Physics A1, French A1, Graphic Communication A1, History A2 (self taught)
Advanced Highers: Maths, French, History, all predicted A1

Applying to Pembroke.

Just tried the specimen essay, didn't write loads but felt it was quality over quantity! Will get an old English teacher to give some feedback. I agree with what people are saying about the other section - timing seems to be the key. Will do the specimen closer to the time.

Also anyone else applying having never studied econ before? No where up here does it, doesn't meant I haven't been self-teaching a lot though.
Woah seems that there are quite a lot of applicants going for Pembroke this year... it's quite popular in this thread
About the pooling system, am I right to think that if you get pooled and another college may be interested in you, you are required to go for another interview with that college?

Not normally.

Edit to add:
2015 pool had 3,776 applicants in it. Only 286 needed to have a second interview.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/guide_to_the_winter_pool_for_applicants.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone done the spec paper? Just got 72% and wanted to gauge where I was
I've applied Emmanuel

GCSEs: 9A*s 4As 1B
AS: None bc reforms + do full A Level maths in a y12 then full f.maths y13
A levels: Achieved A* in maths, predicted A* A* A in further maths, economics and computing respectively.

Comparing my GCSEs to others they might be a bit weak but I hope my 99%UMS in maths, distinction in AEA and contextual data might help me out...

I'm finding the multiple choice part of the ECAA quite alright but I think that's my background practicing MAT and AEA papers for AEA prep. Probably will struggle with the essay but I've been highly commended in an economics essay competition so I'd hope it would cancel out a bad ECAA essay lol
Original post by james1221212
gcses: 10 A*s

A-level: maths a* (doing fm next year full) (95.5%)
AS level: Maths A , Economics A, Physics A

Strongly considering Emmanuel college or St johns

tsa ucl looks useful, but cant think of anything else fore the ECAA

Hey, have you decided on Emmanuel or St. Johns yet? Would be cool to see another Emmanuel applicant :smile:
Just wondering how much does Cambridge stress on personal statement? I know that once you've submitted all the forms, you prepare for the admissions test before you are possibly called for an interview. But I'm curious if Cambridge knows beforehand on whether to call you for an interview mainly based on your personal statement. Or do they wait until they get the results of your admissions test before deciding?
Anyone applying to St Catherine's?
Original post by domaths
Hey, have you decided on Emmanuel or St. Johns yet? Would be cool to see another Emmanuel applicant :smile:

i went for st johns bro soz
Original post by james1221212
i went for st johns bro soz

lol it's ok, less competition for me then :wink:
I've had a bad realisation. As part of the SAQ I will be required to submit UMS marks for 3 AS levels which I took in Year 11 alongside my GCSEs. I did not choose to take them, my school made me so at the time I didn't care so my UMS in them aren't very impressive.

My main concerns are:
- Will my UMS in these AS levels be used to create a UMS average? I only have 2 AS from Year 12 due to reforms, but with my y11 ASs I have enough for an average, but it will be significantly lower than what represents my usual standard. Is it all computerised? Will they see my low average and just reject me without investigation? Even if they do investigate will they even care that they were taken alongside GCSEs and in random subjects?
- Do I actually have to give the UMS or is it only Year12 UMS?
- Will this negatively affect my application?

I'm not really sure where to post this but I'm actually freaking out now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
I've had a bad realisation. As part of the SAQ I will be required to submit UMS marks for 3 AS levels which I took in Year 11 alongside my GCSEs. I did not choose to take them, my school made me so at the time I didn't care so my UMS in them aren't very impressive.

My main concerns are:
- Will my UMS in these AS levels be used to create a UMS average? I only have 1 AS from Year 12 due to reforms, but with my y11 ASs I have enough for an average, but it will be significantly lower than what represents my usual standard. Is it all computerised? Will they see my low average and just reject me without investigation? Even if they do investigate will they even care that they were taken alongside GCSEs and in random subjects?

Firstly: Don't stress about UMS!

But yes you need to declare all module UMS in the SAQ - and you can also provide the context (i.e. your school required you to take them early).
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone applying to St Catherine's?

Me. Not expecting anything though.
Original post by jneill
Firstly: Don't stress about UMS!

But yes you need to declare all module UMS in the SAQ - and you can also provide the context (i.e. your school required you to take them early).

I really hope it doesn't matter
Original post by ♥Samantha♥

My main concerns are:
- Will my UMS in these AS levels be used to create a UMS average? I only have 2 AS from Year 12 due to reforms, but with my y11 ASs I have enough for an average, but it will be significantly lower than what represents my usual standard. Is it all computerised? Will they see my low average and just reject me without investigation? Even if they do investigate will they even care that they were taken alongside GCSEs and in random subjects?

Can schools force you take exams?
I think you should add them. If the grade is decent enough, then it helps you as well.
Original post by Fbiemad
I think you should add them. If the grade is decent enough, then it helps you as well.

You have to include all AS/A2 modules with UMS on the SAQ. No matter when they were taken.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fbiemad
Can schools force you take exams?

Well I don't know legally if a school can force you to take exams but practically they do. The only way you were allowed to drop the ASs were if you had anxiety or depression or were failing.

I'm not sure if they would see the ASs as a good or bad thing
Reply 2658
Hello All,

Thought I would join the conversation.

I plan to apply to St. John's (yes, another). Can I ask some of you guys to reconsider perhaps? :wink:

IGCSEs/GCSEs: 10A*, 1A
AS: Maths A (92% UMS), Economics A (88% raw), History A (77% raw)
A2 Predictions: Maths A*, Further Maths A, Economics A*, Physics A*
EPQ Prediction: A*

I have had a brief look at the ECAA and don't think any of it looks too hard. That essay looks awful though. Will do the full paper closer to the time.

Seeing all of you guys, I don't feel so smart anymore.

Couple of questions:
Have any of you guys done mock interviews yet?
Are any of you writing anything in the additional personal statement bit of the SAQ?
Where else have you guys applied?

Alex
Original post by AOT
Hello All,

Thought I would join the conversation.

I plan to apply to St. John's (yes, another). Can I ask some of you guys to reconsider perhaps? :wink:

IGCSEs/GCSEs: 10A*, 1A
AS: Maths A (92% UMS), Economics A (88% raw), History A (77% raw)
A2 Predictions: Maths A*, Further Maths A, Economics A*, Physics A*
EPQ Prediction: A*

I have had a brief look at the ECAA and don't think any of it looks too hard. That essay looks awful though. Will do the full paper closer to the time.

Seeing all of you guys, I don't feel so smart anymore.

Couple of questions:
Have any of you guys done mock interviews yet?
Are any of you writing anything in the additional personal statement bit of the SAQ?
Where else have you guys applied?

Alex

My school said that the PS isn't really 'optional' and that we should do it. However I'm not sure what to write. I think that chances are if you say you are really interested in some part of the course then it might come up in the interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending