The Student Room Group

Can I do 4 A levels?

I am currently in year 11 and I'm applying for college. I know which A levels I want to do and I want to do four. My problem is that on every application form I've seen so far it says to choose three subjects. Sorry for my ignorance, but I thought that now some rules have changed you can't do AS and A levels are linear, that you can choose four and do them for two years. I intend to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths if that helps.
Thanks everyone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by thepewds_
I am currently in year 11 and I'm applying for college. I know which A levels I want to do and I want to do four. My problem is that on every application form I've seen so far it says to choose three subjects. Sorry for my ignorance, but I thought that now some rules have changed you can't do AS and A levels are linear, that you can choose four and do them for two years. I intend to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths if that helps.
Thanks everyone.

Hey, do not worry even if it says 3 options you can still take more. When I was applying for a sixth form (similar to college) they told me I have to do 3 A level options but after a few days I asked if I can do four and they let me. This is my first year in sixth form, you're in year 11 so you have a year to prepare yourself. Sixth forms will look at your GCSE grades, if they are not high enough you might end up doing 3.

Hope this helps!
Thanks everyone.

Ues you can do four, but 3 good ones are better than 4 mediocre ones.
Original post by A* levels
Hey, do not worry even if it says 3 options you can still take more. When I was applying for a sixth form (similar to college) they told me I have to do 3 A level options but after a few days I asked if I can do four and they let me. This is my first year in sixth form, you're in year 11 so you have a year to prepare yourself. Sixth forms will look at your GCSE grades, if they are not high enough you might end up doing 3.

Hope this helps!

I'm predicted all A*s and 3 9s in English and Maths. Should I ask the sixth form before applying?Thank you for your help
Original post by 999tigger
Ues you can do four, but 3 good ones are better than 4 mediocre ones.

That is true.
I'm predicted all A*s and 3 9s in English and Maths. Should I ask the sixth form before applying?Thank you for your help

In a few months, your school will make you apply to sixth forms/colleges you want to go to. When you apply to the schools you want to go to, make sure you ask them that you want to take 4 A levels and TELL THEM YOUR PREDICTED GRADES because the yare high they should hopefully let you do 4. Good luck!
Reply 6
It depends on where you apply - broadly speaking the school gets no more money for you doing more than 3 A levels so some places are reluctant to let you as ultimately it costs them more to let you do more - so check what their policy is before you apply.
Talk to the colleges you're applying to. I asked to do 5 subjects at AS instead of 4. It worked with the timetable so they let me :smile:. I asked on the first day of term though so I already had my gcse grades. They may say it's a possibility depending on your GCSEs.
Original post by Compost
It depends on where you apply - broadly speaking the school gets no more money for you doing more than 3 A levels so some places are reluctant to let you as ultimately it costs them more to let you do more - so check what their policy is before you apply.

I didn't know about that. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest