The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Remember, it's not about how/if you get knocked down: what's important is that/how you pick yourself back up again. Like the Chumbawamba song :biggrin:

(You're probs all too young to know/remember this song properly :shakecane: )

This makes me feel so old!
OCD Awareness Week 2016 begins tomorrow :h: :woo:

http://www.ocduk.org/ocd-awareness-week
Original post by Tiger Rag
This makes me feel so old!

We can be old together :hugs:

Youth of today missed out big time :sadnod:
Really craving chocolate right now :frown:

Spoiler

Chewing gum always helps :dontknow:
(edited 7 years ago)
Sat here in a puddle of my own tears wondering what on earth I've done to make this all happen.
Anyone got any experience with health anxiety. I've never had it before but due to a health scare I've spent the last couple of months worrying about everything and thinking I've got numerous conditions such as MS or a heart problem. I know that I don't have these but I'm finding it impossible to shake the feeling, anyone got any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
Anyone got any experience with health anxiety. I've never had it before but due to a health scare I've spent the last couple of months worrying about everything and thinking I've got numerous conditions such as MS or a heart problem. I know that I don't have these but I'm finding it impossible to shake the feeling, anyone got any advice?

Sorry to hear you're suffering from HA, I know all too well how consuming it can be :frown: do you have any mental conditions besides HA? I do and when any of those flare up, my HA can go through the roof. If HA is the only thing you are struggling with at the moment then I would suggest staying away from Google (believe me, I know how hard that is). Even if you cut it down to just Googling once a day instead of all day, it's a start.

Talking to someone be it online or someone you trust face to face, can really help. It can be very hard to open up about what illness you are worried you have when it's almost impossible you have that illness but as they say, a problem shared is a problem halved :smile:

If your HA continues or gets worse, it would be wise to go to your GP and ask for anxiety treatment be it meds and/or therapy if you aren't receiving any kind of treatment already. A physical check up might put your mind to rest as well.

If you need someone to talk to, my inbox is always open :hugs: I'm going through the same worries atm and I know the worries take up almost every minute of your day :frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Spock's Socks
Sorry to hear you're suffering from HA, I know all too well how consuming it can be :frown: do you have any mental conditions besides HA? I do and when any of those flare up, my HA can go through the roof. If HA is the only thing you are struggling with at the moment then I would suggest staying away from Google (believe me, I know how hard that is). Even if you cut it down to just Googling once a day instead of all day, it's a start.

Talking to someone be it online or someone you trust face to face, can really help. It can be very hard to open up about what illness you are worried you have when it's almost impossible you have that illness but as they say, a problem shared is a problem halved :smile:

If your HA continues or gets worse, it would be wise to go to your GP and ask for anxiety treatment be it meds and/or therapy if you aren't receiving any kind of treatment already. A physical check up might put your mind to rest as well.

If you need someone to talk to, my inbox is always open :hugs: I'm going through the same worries atm and I know the worries take up almost every minute of your day :frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Hello everyone. Long time depression sufferer here. I'm applying to university this autumn and I'm deadly afraid I won't be able to get into a decent or any university because my depression has notably affected my grades. Does anyone have any advice or happy stories where universities were supportive and this whole higher education thing turned out not as scary as it seemed? I'm an international student by the way, so my qualifications are a bit different, there are no A levels and such.
Hope I don't offend anyone, having a bit of a friendly disagreement with someone on another website about me not getting better.

Their argument is that they grew up in (verbal physical and sexually) abusing home then became a partner to a abuser and eventuailly turned to alcohol before one day deciding enough is enough and life has gotten better since, so since their life was much worse than mine then I have no excuse/reason to be the way I am.

They were friendly about it but they basically said that I can only recover if I decide I want to therefore nothings going to improve till I make an effort.

Thoughts?
Original post by drbluebox
Hope I don't offend anyone, having a bit of a friendly disagreement with someone on another website about me not getting better.

Their argument is that they grew up in (verbal physical and sexually) abusing home then became a partner to a abuser and eventuailly turned to alcohol before one day deciding enough is enough and life has gotten better since, so since their life was much worse than mine then I have no excuse/reason to be the way I am.

They were friendly about it but they basically said that I can only recover if I decide I want to therefore nothings going to improve till I make an effort.

Thoughts?

Ex-smoker syndrome much? Wow. Sorry you had to listen to that

I mean, yes to a certain extent we have to decide to commit to recovery. In essence because no-one can rescue us or do the recovery work for us. But recovery is unique to each individual. There's no trauma hierarchy and someone who feels the need to lay out their recovery as a weapon to make you feel less than, is never going to be a good source of support.

I'm glad their decision to make change a paid off quickly and smoothly. That's not the case for everyone.

I personally made the decision to commit to recovery about 6 years ago. I've seen some improvements but it's not easy. Recovery isn't linear
We can be old together :hugs:

Youth of today missed out big time :sadnod:

Yep, Barbie Girl came out that year..so much missed culture :wink: and spice girls ruled the world! - and everyone own platforms and/or little crop tops with spice girls emblazoned across the chest. I had both because I'm cool :wink: fairly sure everyone got jelly shoes not long before or after that.
Also happy birthday Airmed :smile:

We can play you some classic 90s tunes..bit of baby Usher or All Saints?
Original post by sharoné
Hello everyone. Long time depression sufferer here. I'm applying to university this autumn and I'm deadly afraid I won't be able to get into a decent or any university because my depression has notably affected my grades. Does anyone have any advice or happy stories where universities were supportive and this whole higher education thing turned out not as scary as it seemed? I'm an international student by the way, so my qualifications are a bit different, there are no A levels and such.

Hi! :wavey: Welcome to MHSS. Sorry to hear of what you've been through, but glad you found us at least! :h: I don't have any advice I'm afraid, but just wanted to say hi :hi:

Original post by ~Tara~
Yep, Barbie Girl came out that year..so much missed culture :wink: and spice girls ruled the world! - and everyone own platforms and/or little crop tops with spice girls emblazoned across the chest. I had both because I'm cool :wink: fairly sure everyone got jelly shoes not long before or after that.

OMG, that's amazing you had both. I was not cool at all - I don't recall having either :no:

And REP for your other post just before this one btw - spot on. I was gonna say what you said but you said it so much more succinctly and clearly than I would have :colondollar:
Original post by ~Tara~
Really sorry you're having such bad night x you didn't deserve it and it's not your fault

Thanks lovely. :hugs:
Oh hun :jumphug: I'm sorry I'm being so **** atm - as you can probs tell from my Facebook, on a bit of a rollercoaster of ups and downs atm with my health. I do care though, so message me anytime! You don't deserve ANY of this, let alone all of it. And anyone who gets scared off by you is not worth bothering with, imho, coz people who are worth having around you will stick around.

None of this is your fault. You're ill. You never asked for any of what happened to you. We love you! :jumphug:

:jumphug: I did assume it was something like that, tbh :frown: I'm really sorry that all of this happened to you, hun! You don't deserve any of this either :no:

Totally get what you mean about it being a strange time of believing and feeling like both versions are true. I get that a lot with my own life. It's very confusing for people who aren't part of my support teams. (Actually, that's a lie - sometimes people WITHIN my support teams at my hospital find it disorienting and confusing.)

It's understandable that the child part would go into overddrive at times, but equally that you might end up denying everything the moment you're out of the therapy room :frown: It sounds very traumatic and complicated. But it does sound like you've got a good therapist who you can work with? So hopefully at some point, you can begin to heal from the trauma and accept and know that it was never your fault. Even if the parts cannot be integrated. (I think my psychiatrist thinks my TLGs can be reintegrated back into one TLG, lol, and I'm just like NOPE :nope: )

Oh Saber :frown: Hope you are safe :hugs:

Really really feels like it's my fault. All of it. There's something wrong inside me that makes people want to do the things.

I was taught something at first aid through the week that used the spice girls! :gasp: Thought you might like it. :tongue: :hugs:
Original post by sherbet_lemons7

Really really feels like it's my fault. All of it. There's something wrong inside me that makes people want to do the things.

I was taught something at first aid through the week that used the spice girls! :gasp: Thought you might like it. :tongue: :hugs:

Oh lovely :frown: Promise you that's not true AT ALL. You're amazingly lovely and strong and beautiful and wonderful! :lovehug:

That def has TLG approval :ahee:

:lovehug:
Oh lovely :frown: Promise you that's not true AT ALL. You're amazingly lovely and strong and beautiful and wonderful! :lovehug:

That def has TLG approval :ahee:

:lovehug:

I'm not any of that, but you're lovely to say. :frown: :hugs: There's just something wrong inside me.
I thought you might like it. :tongue: It's for an action we use a lot, that for some reason I always try to do with the wrong hand. I have to sing "stop right now, thank you very much, I need somebody with a human touch" in my head while doing the action. :tongue: :colondollar:
Original post by ~Tara~
Also happy birthday Airmed :smile:

We can play you some classic 90s tunes..bit of baby Usher or All Saints?

All Saints now, come on
I'm alone, I bloody hate how **** everything has turned in the last few days. Apparently that because other people have it worse than me I'm not allowed to be ill or busy or tired. Apparently because I suck with keeping contact with people it means that I'm a ***** and other ruder things.

I hate myself so much right now. What have I done to deserve this?

Latest