The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PerplexingGeode
It is an enjoyable programming language indeed and lays the foundations for other programming languages. I believe that it generally requires a vast amount of practise, to ensure the information learned is retained in the long term memory, regardless of whether or not you have a natural ability for coding. :yep: I do believe that eventually I learn JavaScript, subsequent to mastering the beginners' coding languages first! :biggrin: Unfortunately, my school did not offer coding as part of the curriculum during GCSEs, however - I likely would have pursued it had it been offered. Did you find Python more or less interesting than HMTL and CSS? The most difficult part of Japanese is trying to remember all of the Kanji characters and their various meanings - however, it genuinely is an awesome language to learn, as is Swedish - the latter being somewhat easier to learn than Japanese! :doh:I am currently learning Swedish on Duolingo, which is a particularly useful resource for learning languages, as is Memrise; they are both space repetition systems (SRS) which aid the long term retention of information. :h: Yes, I enjoy using Codecademy too, I just hope that since implementing Codecademy Pro - that the free resources are sufficient. I am also glad that you have had a good experience with Codecademy and that you love French! :h:

It is and that's very true. I've found that, with computing in general too, it's very easy to lose understanding of languages as well as certain models and processes if they are not practised regularly. I suppose this could be said for anything really, but I acknowledged it more so with computing. I can assure you, I do not have a natural ability for coding either. :tongue: I see, and that sounds awesome! That's a shame. To be honest, my year was the first at my school who had the option to study computing at GCSE, so, with it being new to the school, even the teacher wasn't very certain about what should be taught and in what way she could present this to us. :gasp: Overall Python had more to offer however, I was much more interested in HTML and CSS. It's subjective and depends on what side of things you enjoy I suppose. I just found the idea of making a website and adding in all the formatting very exciting! :h: Oh right, Japanese does seem very complex to learn. :yep: That's nice, and I have used Duolingo before actually. :smile: I'm glad that's helping too, in addition to the codecademy pro. What would you say your favourite language is, regardless of how much or little of it you can speak/write? :holmes:

Inopportunely, I am probably not the best person to ask about A Levels, as I barely made it through A Levels due to extremely poor mental health. A lot of people have positive experiences of sixth form and/or college - it just was not for me, however; it might be okay for you; every person is different. :h: I suppose that the only positive aspect of such assessments that you have to pursue, is that you are able to identify the areas of the subject that you are finding a little more difficult and other areas that warrant less revision due to more confidence in those subject areas. I understand why mock exams would be worse for you, as schools have a tendency to throw several mock exams together; sometimes more than one in a single day, which is simply not ideal. Hopefully, you are able to find a better way of dealing with actual exams! :yep:

I see, and sorry to hear that. :console: I'm glad you managed to get through it though, regardless of those drawbacks. :proud: Hmm, that's true. To be truthful here, I'm not particularly keen on sixth form - for me it's just a stepping stone to university (which is something I'm actually looking forward to). That's very true - everyone is indeed different. :smile: Yes, that is probably the most important aspect of assessments. They sure do help to identify your weaknesses and areas that you could maybe try a little harder in. Yes, we had one set of mock exams in the space of around a week, with up to 3 exams in a day. It really isn't ideal, and is arguably much more stressful that the exams that actually count! I do suppose that in some way, they did make the exams easier to deal with. Aww, indeed! :h:
Unfortunately not, whilst I pursued A Levels, my school did not offer it - however, they have since introduced Computing.

@Matrix123 Thank you for the positive rep! Unfortunately, I cannot give a rep in return due to PRSOM. :doh:

:moon:

No worries, Perplexing! Aww, it's OK! :smile:

Original post by Matrix123
It is and that's very true. I've found that, with computing in general too, it's very easy to lose understanding of languages as well as certain models and processes if they are not practised regularly. I suppose this could be said for anything really, but I acknowledged it more so with computing. I can assure you, I do not have a natural ability for coding either. :tongue: I see, and that sounds awesome! That's a shame. To be honest, my year was the first at my school who had the option to study computing at GCSE, so, with it being new to the school, even the teacher wasn't very certain about what should be taught and in what way she could present this to us. :gasp: Overall Python had more to offer however, I was much more interested in HTML and CSS. It's subjective and depends on what side of things you enjoy I suppose. I just found the idea of making a website and adding in all the formatting very exciting! :h: Oh right, Japanese does seem very complex to learn. :yep: That's nice, and I have used Duolingo before actually. :smile: I'm glad that's helping too, in addition to the codecademy pro. What would you say your favourite language is, regardless of how much or little of it you can speak/write? :holmes:

I see, and sorry to hear that. :console: I'm glad you managed to get through it though, regardless of those drawbacks. :proud: Hmm, that's true. To be truthful here, I'm not particularly keen on sixth form - for me it's just a stepping stone to university (which is something I'm actually looking forward to). That's very true - everyone is indeed different. :smile: Yes, that is probably the most important aspect of assessments. They sure do help to identify your weaknesses and areas that you could maybe try a little harder in. Yes, we had one set of mock exams in the space of around a week, with up to 3 exams in a day. It really isn't ideal, and is arguably much more stressful that the exams that actually count! I do suppose that in some way, they did make the exams easier to deal with. Aww, indeed! :h:

No worries, Perplexing! Aww, it's OK! :smile:

You are certainly correct, regarding the fact that it is easy to lose understanding of languages if not practised. It has a tendency to apply to languages, in addition to coding - however, a quick recap on the language learnt so far, often induces the recollection of information learnt. :smile: The important fact is, is that you are interested in it and that teaching yourself anything depicts a high level of dedication - you should be proud of yourself for that. :yep: Yes, I concur with you that the visual side of coding is very intriguing, being an artist I can completely understand this. There is something very satisfying regarding constructing a website and customising it. Duolingo is an excellent resource for languages, therefore - I can understand why you use that website/app. I hope to eventually have Codecademy Pro, but obviously Codecademy was more accessible whilst free. :h: Hmm... I would say it is a tie between Swedish and Japanese; I love Japanese culture etc and love both languages. ^^

:h: I did indeed get through it, albeit with extremely poor grades and therefore I felt as though I had massively failed. You are correct via stating that sixth form is a stepping stone, it does encourage independent study - though some people find this difficult. I understand completely regarding the number of mock exams during a single week; it is worse at AS/A2 as a result of certain exams being extremely long, particularly the sciences and geography as some of the exams are 2-3 hours long. The fine art exams are extremely long - however, it is not too bad, due to the practicality of such an exam.

Keep up the good work! :h:

How are you today? :smile:

You are certainly correct, regarding the fact that it is easy to lose understanding of languages if not practised. It has a tendency to apply to languages, in addition to coding - however, a quick recap on the language learnt so far, often induces the recollection of information learnt. :smile: The important fact is, is that you are interested in it and that teaching yourself anything depicts a high level of dedication - you should be proud of yourself for that. :yep: Yes, I concur with you that the visual side of coding is very intriguing, being an artist I can completely understand this. There is something very satisfying regarding constructing a website and customising it. Duolingo is an excellent resource for languages, therefore - I can understand why you use that website/app. I hope to eventually have Codecademy Pro, but obviously Codecademy was more accessible whilst free. :h: Hmm... I would say it is a tie between Swedish and Japanese; I love Japanese culture etc and love both languages. ^^

:h: I did indeed get through it, albeit with extremely poor grades and therefore I felt as though I had massively failed. You are correct via stating that sixth form is a stepping stone, it does encourage independent study - though some people find this difficult. I understand completely regarding the number of mock exams during a single week; it is worse at AS/A2 as a result of certain exams being extremely long, particularly the sciences and geography as some of the exams are 2-3 hours long. The fine art exams are extremely long - however, it is not too bad, due to the practicality of such an exam.

Original post by CheeseIsVeg

:hi:422

Indeed. I haven't used Python for around 5 months (:eek:) so I think I'd better get back to that soon. :tongue: Absolutely, an interest in whatever topic someone may be studying or working on definitely does help with rapid and in depth progress. :yep: Yes! :excited: Ooh, that sounds cool. What kind of art are you mainly interested in? I agree with you there about the construction of websites! Ohh I understand now; yes, codecademy is very accessible. Fair enough. :smile: Have you been to Japan before then? :K:

Good good, aww! Hopefully you no longer feel this way? It's very tough getting through education, and work too I'd imagine, especially with the addition of mental health issues. You've done it now so I think we should be proud of how far you've come as opposed to how short you fell behind your expectations/ambitions. Besides, it sounds like you are doing well at the moment? :smile: Indeed, independent study does some to really be the main success factor for sixth form. I'm yet to do as much as I'd find ideal but anything is progress at this stage, I think. Ohh, I see. Yes, the exams do seem to be a lot longer. Hopefully it won't be too bad. :crossedf: I can imagine it's slightly laid back in art, but quite stressful when approaching the last couple of hours? I didn't do art so I wouldn't really know. At KS3, I did take ages to do any art related activity though. :tongue:

Thanks, I'll try to. You keep up the great work too! :biggrin:

I'm alright thanks - I haven't got much to do apart from homework and revision. The rest of my family went out shopping earlier so it was nice to actually have some peace and quiet. :smile:
How have you been today?

(edited 7 years ago)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ForestShadow

Can you edit to 420 please? I messed up my number:facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
:hi:422

Heyy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Matrix123
Can you edit to 420 please? I messed up my number:facepalm: