The Student Room Group

Similarities between Brexit and the 2016 US Presidential election.

1) The people versus the status quo.

2) "Having enough". Large chunks of the population are fed up of the current agenda.

3) A businessman at the forefront of a new movement for change.

4) Anti-establishment movement seen as "racist", "sexist", "xenophobic", "Islamophobic", et al those buzzwords.

5) Both leaders seen as "incompetent" and constantly ridiculed by an incredibly biased media. I would have thought the establishment in the US would have learnt from Brexit that you can't treat people with contempt.

6) Both groups were told they stood "no chance" but then gained moment in the final weeks. I can remember hundreds of people on here claiming that there's no chance in hell Brexit would win.

Based on all this, all you anti-Trump and Remain folk, aren't you worried that Trump might actually win?

Scroll to see replies

Well....they've both been a complete s***show from the get-go.
Reply 2
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Well....they've both been a complete s***show from the get-go.

A **** show that worked, perfectly.

I stuck my two fingers up to that bureaucratic cesspit in Brussels, and I'm very proud of it.
Original post by Dodgypirate
A **** show that worked, perfectly.

I stuck my two fingers up to that bureaucratic cesspit in Brussels, and I'm very proud of it.

.....ok.
Hmm, let me give this a try...

Both Trump supporters and Brexit voters are deluded, mouth-breathing, xenophobic, usually uneducated nationalists who think their country can survive without international cooperation?

Yeah, that's it.
The only reason we're not building the wall is that there's a sea there already.

2) "Having enough". Large chunks of the population are fed up of the current agenda.

4) Anti-establishment movement seen as "racist", "sexist", "xenophobic", "Islamophobic", et al those buzzwords.

5) Both leaders seen as "incompetent" and constantly ridiculed by an incredibly biased media. I would have thought the establishment in the US would have learnt from Brexit that you can't treat people with contempt.

6) Both groups were told they stood "no chance" but then gained moment in the final weeks. I can remember hundreds of people on here claiming that there's no chance in hell Brexit would win.

Based on all this, all you anti-Trump and Remain folk, aren't you worried that Trump might actually win?

4) Why do you put xenophobia and islamophobia in quotation marks? Trump's campaign is without a doubt xenophobic and islamophobic. Leave.EU also used highly xenophobic, and I'd also argue Islamophobic, marketing.

5) The media, particularly the papers, were overwhelming in favour of Brexit.

You can't really compare the US election to the referendum as the way you 'win' is different. It is possible for Trump to get a majority of the votes but not become the President. This would depend on how the votes are distributed across the states.
Reply 7
Original post by SHallowvale

You must be joking.
4) Why do you put xenophobia and islamophobia in quotation marks? Trump's campaign is without a doubt xenophobic and islamophobic. Leave.EU also used highly xenophobic, and I'd also argue Islamophobic, marketing.

You can't really compare the US election to the referendum as the way you 'win' is different. It is possible for Trump to get a majority of the votes but not become the President. This would depend on how the votes are distributed across the states.

Trump can be seen as xenophobic - not to everyone, but to women very much - and then he'll blame the system as being rigged because not enough women voted for him, though the system is rigged, he'll use that excuse or something of the kind.

It certainly does seem like Trump is islamophobic. But just imagine it weren't Islam, but some other religion. He would have said the same thing and we would have said he is "[insert religion]phobic".

He's changed his way of saying that to "banning people coming from countries compromised by terrorists" (you can see in an interview, idk which one), easily evading that political correctness.

The only time that "political correctness" can be challenged is when it's fully wrong, but it isn't fully wrong. People keep saying [insert type of people] are [insert negative viewpoint] without quantifying or qualifying adjectives which leads to the assumption that "all" of that type of people are the same.

We definitely can't say that Trump is entirely islamophobic because we cannot even say that he is racist - well we can, but that would be foolish given the lack of evidence for any such remarks that would indicate such a perspective.

A truly graceful president is one with a kind heart and doesn't cheat on their partners or whatever or say stuff like "I would date my daughter if I were younger" bla bla bla.

Hah, good his wife was honest when she said in the news that "I found what he said about the women and groping offensive".

I ain't really hating on trump, but that's why the speech marks existed on those words, because there'd be some controversy over them, just as expected like you have shown.

And now you've done it. Why did you have to go and say "the media mainly the papers were overwhelmingly in favour of brexit"??? Oh, is it because that's your opinion? Well just like the masses and the media to be frank, you've just generalised again. Here's the key word - SOME. Only SOME of the media was in favour of brexit. Do you honestly believe you're correct? Hardly any of the businesses and banks were in "overwhelming" favour of brexit. David Cameron didn't want to leave. So many young people did not want to leave.

Yeah, right...
:angelwings:
You must be joking.

All the tabloid trash were in favour of brexit.

These are generic populist stock phrases that can be adapted to just about any political argument.

Also, your definition of "the people" seems to simply mean "whoever supports my preferred option". Based on polling, "the people" in fact prefer Clinton to Trump, and pretty much always have throughout the campaign.

Wait, who was the the businessman at the forefront of Brexit?

4) Anti-establishment movement

Lol. I never stop finding this funny. Trump has been rolling in the establishment his entire life.

As already noted, studies of media during the referendum actually showed a pro-Brexit bias.

We haven't had the final weeks of the US election yet, so I don't see how you can say that. In the past few weeks, Trump's position has actually been declining badly.

For the record, I spoiled my ballot in the referendum, and supported Bernie Sanders for President, not Clinton.
(edited 7 years ago)
You must be joking.

I'm not. Can you name me any major papers which were in favour of remain?
Original post by Kiritsugu
Trump can be seen as xenophobic - not to everyone, but to women very much - and then he'll blame the system as being rigged because not enough women voted for him, though the system is rigged, he'll use that excuse or something of the kind.

It certainly does seem like Trump is islamophobic. But just imagine it weren't Islam, but some other religion. He would have said the same thing and we would have said he is "[insert religion]phobic".

He's changed his way of saying that to "banning people coming from countries compromised by terrorists" (you can see in an interview, idk which one), easily evading that political correctness.

The only time that "political correctness" can be challenged is when it's fully wrong, but it isn't fully wrong. People keep saying [insert type of people] are [insert negative viewpoint] without quantifying or qualifying adjectives which leads to the assumption that "all" of that type of people are the same.

We definitely can't say that Trump is entirely islamophobic because we cannot even say that he is racist - well we can, but that would be foolish given the lack of evidence for any such remarks that would indicate such a perspective.

A truly graceful president is one with a kind heart and doesn't cheat on their partners or whatever or say stuff like "I would date my daughter if I were younger" bla bla bla.

Hah, good his wife was honest when she said in the news that "I found what he said about the women and groping offensive".

I ain't really hating on trump, but that's why the speech marks existed on those words, because there'd be some controversy over them, just as expected like you have shown.

And now you've done it. Why did you have to go and say "the media mainly the papers were overwhelmingly in favour of brexit"??? Oh, is it because that's your opinion? Well just like the masses and the media to be frank, you've just generalised again. Here's the key word - SOME. Only SOME of the media was in favour of brexit. Do you honestly believe you're correct? Hardly any of the businesses and banks were in "overwhelming" favour of brexit. David Cameron didn't want to leave. So many young people did not want to leave.

Yeah, right...
:angelwings:

Er, I've said he is Islamophobic as what he has campaigned for is, by definition, Islamophobic. He has supported a ban on Muslim immigration. You can sugar coat that with the word ''temporary'' and change ''Muslims'' to ''anyone who comes from a country with a proven history of terrorism'' but it's still what he said.

I say that the papers were overwhelmingly in favour of Brexit because that is a demonstrable fact. It's not just some opinion. Papers like the Sun, The Daily Mail, The Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Times, etc, were all in favour of Brexit. The scope of Leave supporting newspapers exceeded that of those supporting Remain.
I'm not. Can you name me any major papers which were in favour of remain?

The guardian... that's a newspaper right?

In terms of media: BBC & Sky were both both heavily remain.
Original post by AccountingBabe
The guardian... that's a newspaper right?

In terms of media: BBC & Sky were both both heavily remain.

Sure, but the Guardian prints very few newspapers relative to papers like supported Leave, which print in the millions.
Reply 16
Original post by anarchism101
These are generic populist stock phrases that can be adapted to just about any political argument.

Also, your definition of "the people" seems to simply mean "whoever supports my preferred option". Based on polling, "the people" in fact prefer Clinton to Trump, and pretty much always have throughout the campaign.

Wait, who was the the businessman at the forefront of Brexit?

Lol. I never stop finding this funny. Trump has been rolling in the establishment his entire life.

As already noted, studies of media during the referendum actually showed a pro-Brexit bias.

We haven't had the final weeks of the US election yet, so I don't see how you can say that. In the past few weeks, Trump's position has actually been declining badly.

For the record, I spoiled my ballot in the referendum, and supported Bernie Sanders for President, not Clinton.

An anarchist in favour of a big government
I was worried a week ago, somehow, less so now.

Insulting Mexicans and Muslims loses some voters, but ones who weren't going to vote Republican anyway. Being outed for gloating about sexually harassing women though, isn't going to help your cause.
Original post by joecphillips
An anarchist in favour of a big government

I don't see how what I said indicated I'm in favour of anything in particular, except Bernie. What exactly do you think "big government" means anyway?

Because in my personal experience, it just ends up meaning the state being directly involved in something outside the often arbitrary areas the person using the term thinks the state should be involved in.
Original post by leinad2012
I was worried a week ago, somehow, less so now.

Insulting Mexicans and Muslims loses some voters, but ones who weren't going to vote Republican anyway. Being outed for gloating about sexually harassing women though, isn't going to help your cause.

As has been noted, Trump's campaign all the way back through the primaries has been characterised by having a sizable 'floor' of supporters who would vote for him no matter what, but a huge difficulty in actually winning over many supporters beyond that. The cause of the gap closing from a 5-6 point Clinton lead just after the conventions to a 1-2 point lead before the first debate was far more due to a decline in Clinton's support than an increase in Trump's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending