The Student Room Group

Realistic A2 grades and university choices

Hey,

I really wanted some advice as to what sort of A2 predictions i should be getting this year as my teachers are yet to tell me!

I received my AS results as below;

History- A
Psychology- A
Biology- B

and then i also took chemistry which I'm dropping (received a D)

Would it be realistic to be predicted A*AA? ( my history teacher has already predicted me an A* but I'm wondering whether its possible to predict my Biology up to an A as well (i received a mixture of A/B's in my biology mocks last year).

I also wanted to know what universities i could realistically apply to? I really have my heart set on the University of Edinburgh as I went for a Sutton Trust Summer School last July but for my course (History and Politics) they request AAA as their standard offer. If it helps- my GCSE's are fairly average ie a couple A*s, 4 A's, a B and some Cs.

Thanks in advance!!!!

:smile:
It depends on how high your A was. If you scraped an A, I don't think they'd be eager to bump your predicted up to an A* :-(
If your sixth form is anything like mine then I think you have a good chance of attaining those predictions.
A*AA-AAA is realistic. I'd say apply to one A*AA uni, then 2 at AAA then the last couple at AAB-ABB.
Reply 4
Original post by typicalvirgo
It depends on how high your A was. If you scraped an A, I don't think they'd be eager to bump your predicted up to an A* :-(

I have to admit i was a little apprehensive about being predicted an A* in history so might speak to my teacher about him putting it down to an A. I'm slightly worried about getting offers reliant on the A* and then not actually getting it.

Would you reckon that a B in AS could be predicted up to an A? or is that unreasonable?

Reply 5
Original post by Amynadia0033
If your sixth form is anything like mine then I think you have a good chance of attaining those predictions.

Hahah well i go to one of those schools that receive contextualized offers so maybe I don't stand that great of a chance getting those predictions! Hopefully with hard work and constant pestering of my teachers throughout the year I will be able to somehow manage to get some decent grades. :smile:
My AS grades were ABB and I got predicted A*AA, so don't see any reason why you shouldn't
Original post by han1234678
Hahah well i go to one of those schools that receive contextualized offers so maybe I don't stand that great of a chance getting those predictions! Hopefully with hard work and constant pestering of my teachers throughout the year I will be able to somehow manage to get some decent grades. :smile:

haha i just meant that my sixth form tends to offer you one higher than what you got at AS so getting an A prediction at a level when you got a B at AS seems attainable.
Reply 8
Original post by HopelessMedic
A*AA-AAA is realistic. I'd say apply to one A*AA uni, then 2 at AAA then the last couple at AAB-ABB.

Thanks, that's really helpful (especially the University grades :tongue:)

I don't really think i have any A*AA universities to apply for so may just ask for my A* prediction in history to go down to an A just in case any university happens to give me an offer based on it!

The highest university that I'm aiming for is Edinburgh (AAA) and the lowest is Aberdeen (BBB) with universities of around AAB-ABB in the middle. Do you reckon this is reasonable? A lot of my friends at school have predictions of around AAA and are applying to CCC unis and I'm slightly concerned that perhaps i should be too??
Reply 9
Original post by jordanshelley97
My AS grades were ABB and I got predicted A*AA, so don't see any reason why you shouldn't

Do you reckon that you will/ or did you achieve them?
my AS grades were AC and i got predicted A*AA
Original post by Amynadia0033
haha i just meant that my sixth form tends to offer you one higher than what you got at AS so getting an A prediction at a level when you got a B at AS seems attainable.

ahhhhh i see

I dont really think that my sixth form has a policy on A2 grades if I'm honest. They seem to somewhat pull them out of a hat (within the same class i have seen students be predicted a B after getting a D at AS and another student predicted an B for a B at AS!).

Now that I'm fairly confident that asking for an A prediction is reasonable i feel much better about going and asking my teacher about it!
Thanks, that's really helpful (especially the University grades :tongue:)

I don't really think i have any A*AA universities to apply for so may just ask for my A* prediction in history to go down to an A just in case any university happens to give me an offer based on it!

The highest university that I'm aiming for is Edinburgh (AAA) and the lowest is Aberdeen (BBB) with universities of around AAB-ABB in the middle. Do you reckon this is reasonable? A lot of my friends at school have predictions of around AAA and are applying to CCC unis and I'm slightly concerned that perhaps i should be too??

Definitely do not do this, i have no idea why they are. You should always apply to ones that are around you predicted grades, some higher but definitely at least one below as a back up. You don't need to lower your predictions as it could help you get the offer but its your choice.
Original post by HopelessMedic
Definitely do not do this, i have no idea why they are. You should always apply to ones that are around you predicted grades, some higher but definitely at least one below as a back up. You don't need to lower your predictions as it could help you get the offer but its your choice.

Ok yeah no I agree I have no clue why they are either but when i ask I'm told that you have to otherwise you might get no offers (but then surely that's what extra is for..). I think I'm going to ask my biology to be upped to an A and keep my history predicted at an A* and continue to have my lowest university at BBB.

Thanks for all your help :smile:
Reply 14
I have to admit i was a little apprehensive about being predicted an A* in history so might speak to my teacher about him putting it down to an A. I'm slightly worried about getting offers reliant on the A* and then not actually getting it.

That's not how offers work. If a university's typical offer is AAA and you apply with predicted A*AA then your offer will still be AAA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you reckon that you will/ or did you achieve them?

I actually exceeded them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending