The Student Room Group

Postgrad Speech & Language Therapy 2017 Entry (PG Dip/MSc)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rainbowworld
That's good you have people to read it :smile: I just really want mine done by the end of the month as deadline for Reading is 1st November (I think) and I want to give my referees a few weeks to do my reference as they have to be submitted before the deadline too for Reading I think! I haven't even asked one of my referees yet! Time is going very quickly!!

Yes! My job is great, I love it :smile: I'm running language groups this term and have to teach another assistant how to do it and run parent workshops, give advice to parents, etc! I've only done one set of groups before (alongside a therapist) so did not expect to run them this time but looking forward to the challenge too, lots of opportunity to develop skills. Only went back last week (work term time only) so have just been doing lots of admin/training, not seen any children yet so looking forward to that! We are really down on therapists though at the moment, due to budget cuts etc, which is making things a bit tricky!

Ahh so glad you're liking it! I can imagine it's a great place to learn and develop your skills. I'm sure they ave you the responsibility to run it because you did so well with the therapist!

Good luck your statement! Hope it all goes well! :biggrin:
Reply 61
Original post by SarcasticQueen
What I understood from their talk at the Open Day (UCL), they do encourage people from different undergraduate degrees to apply. I know a girl who had a degree in politics, then went on to do SLT for her masters. So it's completely okay your degree isn't related! They want an academic reference because they want to make sure you can keep up with the academic requirements for the course. I think it would be okay to ask your tutor lecturer.

As for the other references, I think you should know them for about a year. I could be wrong, but I don't think a reference from someone you are shadowing will count as they want the person who is filling out your reference to know a little about your work ethic etc.

They don't specify whether it needs to be a high or low 2:1. I think it's okay to say that you'll be okay as long as you have a 2:1.

Hope this help! Good luck!

Thanks Sarcastic queen. Do you know which Uni you have your heart set on going to?
Original post by Adesola
Thanks Sarcastic queen. Do you know which Uni you have your heart set on going to?

I live in London so ideally I would really like to go somewhere here. However, I'm definitely going to be applying to places close to London like Reading or Essex. What about you?
Reply 63
I asked the careers service at Newcastle uni about references as I was concerned that using an academic reference when I haven't been in study for 6 years would be a bit outdated. They recommended just using 2 professional references instead. I'm still a bit torn as to whether get back in touch with my tutor though and if not who else to use. What does everyone think? What would you think is 'too long' since leaving uni to use an academic reference?

Thanks!!
Original post by Jfay90
I asked the careers service at Newcastle uni about references as I was concerned that using an academic reference when I haven't been in study for 6 years would be a bit outdated. They recommended just using 2 professional references instead. I'm still a bit torn as to whether get back in touch with my tutor though and if not who else to use. What does everyone think? What would you think is 'too long' since leaving uni to use an academic reference?

Thanks!!

6 years is a long time. I know a lot of the SLT courses expect you to have done some form of study within the last 5 years and I would say that is just about a reasonable amount of time to ask for a reference still. You could contact your tutor still, they will probably have a reference on record for you but two professional ones will probably be fine. Some universities will allow you to put more than two referees so if that's an options you could use two recent and your old tutor. Depends who you have and what they can say about you - can a more recent reference comment on your academic ability at all - have you done any research or courses in your current employment they could mention?
Original post by Adesola
Thanks Rainbow! They've failed to mention this to me at the open dasy!..Do the references actually have to write up something about you?

I've been to the Open day at City and UCL, but that's it. I'm going to be working at a school and have something lined up to shadow a speech and language therapist. Could I ask them? I could also ask my tutor lecture, though my degree is entirely in a different field to speech and language therapy, so my tutor may be very confused.

Also; I know the entry requirements to be considered for the postgrad is a 2:1...but do they mention whether they would consider someone with a high or low 2:1?

Yes they do, as far as I'm aware some universities ask them specific questions and others just want a general reference from them. Most common is you put their email down as part of the application and the Uni will contact them, so just let them know in advance you would like to use them for a reference and it should be fine. Don't worry about your course being in a different field, mine is not very related either, they take lots of people with unrelated degrees! Just explain to your tutor why you want to do the course :smile: I wouldn't ask a SLT you have only shadowed for a few days, as SarcasticQueen says it should be someone who knows you well enough to write about you and your abilities!

General consensus is if you don't have a 2i you'll be immediately discounted by most universities, but if you do your personal statement/references will be looked at and then degree marks won't be important. However, at Reading they said that if your degree is unrelated they would be looking to see more of a high 2i, which is a bit of a problem for me (eeek!) but not essential if other stuff is good.
Reply 66
Hi all;

I'm planning to start up writing up my personal statement, but I'm finding it hard to write one up! Eek.

Is there some sort of template I can look up on line? I wonder if the University, that I just graduated from would give me some help.
Reply 67
Yes they do, as far as I'm aware some universities ask them specific questions and others just want a general reference from them. Most common is you put their email down as part of the application and the Uni will contact them, so just let them know in advance you would like to use them for a reference and it should be fine. Don't worry about your course being in a different field, mine is not very related either, they take lots of people with unrelated degrees! Just explain to your tutor why you want to do the course :smile: I wouldn't ask a SLT you have only shadowed for a few days, as SarcasticQueen says it should be someone who knows you well enough to write about you and your abilities!

General consensus is if you don't have a 2i you'll be immediately discounted by most universities, but if you do your personal statement/references will be looked at and then degree marks won't be important. However, at Reading they said that if your degree is unrelated they would be looking to see more of a high 2i, which is a bit of a problem for me (eeek!) but not essential if other stuff is good.

Thanks!

I do have a 2.1, but it's within the MID-HIGH range. I'm not applying to Reading, so I hope it only applies to that Uni! I'm sure it would be fine though Rainbow, so don't worry too much. Why do most Postgraduate courses ask for a 2.1 anyway? On the UCL open day somebody asked the tutor that if they didn't have a 2.1 but has loads of experience working in the SALT area, could they still apply. Well the tutor immediately shut her down and said an abrupt "No".
Original post by Adesola
Thanks!

I do have a 2.1, but it's within the MID-HIGH range. I'm not applying to Reading, so I hope it only applies to that Uni! I'm sure it would be fine though Rainbow, so don't worry too much. Why do most Postgraduate courses ask for a 2.1 anyway? On the UCL open day somebody asked the tutor that if they didn't have a 2.1 but has loads of experience working in the SALT area, could they still apply. Well the tutor immediately shut her down and said an abrupt "No".

Yes, you'll be fine! Yep I know, I think it's mainly a way of cutting down the number of applicants which is so high! However it is also a very academically challenging course - you have to cover four years of content in two years and you have to do it all at Masters level instead of undergrad level, it involves academic subjects like biology etc and I guess they want to make sure the people coming onto the course will be able to complete it.
Hi all,

I know some of you attended the City and UCL Open Day. Just wondering if you still have the handouts they distributed? I moved a few months ago and lost the file which contained all my notes from both days. Would anybody mind sharing the recommended reading list which UCL gave?

Thank you!
Reply 70
How is everyone doing with their personal statement.

I'm finding it very difficult into starting mine.

Does anyone have any tips?
Original post by Adesola
How is everyone doing with their personal statement.

I'm finding it very difficult into starting mine.

Does anyone have any tips?

It is so hard! Don't really have any tips! The word count is killing me, don't know whether to organise it chronologically or skills based. So tricky!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 72
It is so hard! Don't really have any tips! The word count is killing me, don't know whether to organise it chronologically or skills based. So tricky!

Is there word count too short or long for you?

Have you started to get work experience?
Original post by Adesola
Is there word count too short or long for you?

Have you started to get work experience?

Far too short! I mean Reading is 500 words which is like half a page! It's annoying they are all different lengths too! My really rough draft is like 4 pages atm! I've got so much to talk about - need to cut it down to what is actually relevant and useful and what I actually got from it though!
Yup got lots in paediatrics, only just started getting experience with adults though :/ which means it is difficult to write about!
Maybe just start with writing down all your experience then reflect on that?
Reply 74
Far too short! I mean Reading is 500 words which is like half a page! It's annoying they are all different lengths too! My really rough draft is like 4 pages atm! I've got so much to talk about - need to cut it down to what is actually relevant and useful and what I actually got from it though!
Yup got lots in paediatrics, only just started getting experience with adults though :/ which means it is difficult to write about!
Maybe just start with writing down all your experience then reflect on that?

Hi Rainbow,

Hows your statement going? I've just started mine!

I wanted to ask, since your applying to City University as well, on the application, do you HAVE to put down your A LEVEL results and your GCSE'S?

Also, I'm worried about my lack of experience. I have managed to shadow a Speech therapist and an Occupational therapist (very interesting profession) for two days at a clinic and I'm about to start volunteering at an ABA school for teenagers who have Autism. I also want experience to work with Adults and was looking to volunteer with STROKE association, but I'm not sure.

But I don't think this is enough :frown:.
Original post by Adesola
Hi Rainbow,

Hows your statement going? I've just started mine!

I wanted to ask, since your applying to City University as well, on the application, do you HAVE to put down your A LEVEL results and your GCSE'S?

Also, I'm worried about my lack of experience. I have managed to shadow a Speech therapist and an Occupational therapist (very interesting profession) for two days at a clinic and I'm about to start volunteering at an ABA school for teenagers who have Autism. I also want experience to work with Adults and was looking to volunteer with STROKE association, but I'm not sure.

But I don't think this is enough :frown:.

Okay, Ive got a draft which is still a bit too long atm, just a little bit more to do then going to send to people to get some help/advice - I only have like a week left to finish it though!!*

I am applying to city but haven't thought about it yet as their deadline is further away so I'm just getting ucl and reading done first then will sort out city. If it says they want them then yes or they will just reject your application possibly. If it doesn't say I have found most places just want A-level and not GCSEs.*

I would say that's probably less experience than most people but it's about how to talk about/relate it. If you get through to the interview and you get more experience in the mean time then you will have more to talk about then and might stand a chance. I would definitely get experience with the stroke association. It sounds like your at a similar stage to what I was at last year and in the end I decided to not apply and get more experience for a year but with hindsight I should have just applied and given it a shot I think.*
Reply 76
Okay, Ive got a draft which is still a bit too long atm, just a little bit more to do then going to send to people to get some help/advice - I only have like a week left to finish it though!!*

I am applying to city but haven't thought about it yet as their deadline is further away so I'm just getting ucl and reading done first then will sort out city. If it says they want them then yes or they will just reject your application possibly. If it doesn't say I have found most places just want A-level and not GCSEs.*

I would say that's probably less experience than most people but it's about how to talk about/relate it. If you get through to the interview and you get more experience in the mean time then you will have more to talk about then and might stand a chance. I would definitely get experience with the stroke association. It sounds like your at a similar stage to what I was at last year and in the end I decided to not apply and get more experience for a year but with hindsight I should have just applied and given it a shot I think.*

Why do you only have a week left?!!!

In terms of experience, what actually did you do ? just to give me some ideas.

I may just put my eggs into one basket and apply to City :s This would be stupid, wouldn't it?
Original post by Adesola
Why do you only have a week left?!!!

In terms of experience, what actually did you do ? just to give me some ideas.

I may just put my eggs into one basket and apply to City :s This would be stupid, wouldn't it?

Because Reading applications close on the 1st so need my personal statement and application done so I can give my referees two weeks to complete my reference (and hope two weeks is enough!) Then hoping to have my UCL application done by end of the month.*

I would apply to UCL as well if I were you, nothing to lose! (Except £75 😐 )

I'll message you my experience, I hate listing it all because don't want to make other people feel there's isn't good enough, or that mine is a good example or anything because I have no idea if it is as haven't got a place or anything! **
Reply 78
Because Reading applications close on the 1st so need my personal statement and application done so I can give my referees two weeks to complete my reference (and hope two weeks is enough!) Then hoping to have my UCL application done by end of the month.*

I would apply to UCL as well if I were you, nothing to lose! (Except £75 😐 )

I'll message you my experience, I hate listing it all because don't want to make other people feel there's isn't good enough, or that mine is a good example or anything because I have no idea if it is as haven't got a place or anything! **

Ok Rainbow, thanks!

Will read your message once you have sent it.
Reply 79
Just read that UCL are charging for 2017?!! That can't be right surely?

Quick Reply