The Student Room Group

Is STEP hard?

I am in year 11 and was wondering if STEP is hard . Would you be able to do it in year 12 or would you have to do it in 13 after learning the full A level maths course and A level further maths course? Is it also harder than further maths A level or about the same?

Scroll to see replies

You can do it at the end of year 12, however i've been highly recommended not to ahaha.

It's nothing like A Level maths/further maths. It's more about how you can apply what you know to questions which really makes you think, whereas in A Levels and GCSEs you don't really have to think as you know the layout, the sort of questions that commonly come up etc.

STEP is known to be hard but with a lot of practise I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
STEP is very hard. You only need STEP if your planning on studying Mathematics in a university that requires STEP. Otherwise, you won't really need it.
Original post by DamnDaniel2
You can do it at the end of year 12, however i've been highly recommended not to ahaha.

It's nothing like A Level maths/further maths. It's more about how you can apply what you know to questions which really makes you think, whereas in A Levels and GCSEs you don't really have to think as you know the layout, the sort of questions that commonly come up etc.

STEP is known to be hard but with a lot of practise I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

KX
Do you have to revise extra for step I , is the content covered in further maths and maths( A level)?
Original post by Oxidation
STEP is very hard. You only need STEP if your planning on studying Mathematics in a university that requires STEP. Otherwise, you won't really need it.

To study economics and maths , I think it would be helpful and it would lower the requirements for a levels in case I miss out on a grade.
Do you have to revise extra for step I , is the content covered in further maths and maths( A level)? Is AEA easier or the same?
Original post by fleky6910
To study economics and maths , I think it would be helpful and it would lower the requirements for a levels in case I miss out on a grade.
Do you have to revise extra for step I , is the content covered in further maths and maths( A level)? Is AEA easier or the same?

I think you should look at the STEP and AEA papers then you will have your own opinion on which one is easier for you.
Reply 6
STEP is way way harder than your A levels. Unless you've covered a lot of A2 topics then I'd wait until year 13 before taking them as there's a lot of A2 topics covered in the questions. And for STEP 3 I personally found you needed to have a lot of extended knowledge and to have done M3/4/5 and S3/4/5 to answer any of the applied questions. But there's obviously no harm in looking at questions from STEP 1 now and seeing how you fare.
Original post by Bruhh
STEP is way way harder than your A levels. Unless you've covered a lot of A2 topics then I'd wait until year 13 before taking them as there's a lot of A2 topics covered in the questions. And for STEP 3 I personally found you needed to have a lot of extended knowledge and to have done M3/4/5 and S3/4/5 to answer any of the applied questions. But there's obviously no harm in looking at questions from STEP 1 now and seeing how you fare.

Im only going up to S2 and M2 so will that disadvantage me? This year doing C1, C2, S1, M1, D1 and FP1. Next year C3, C4, S2, M2, D2 and FP2.
Do you think for my year 12 summer holiday I should learn some S3 and S4 and M3-5?
Also my book states that there's no S5 only goes up to S4!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Im only going up to S2 and M2 so will that disadvantage me? This year doing C1, C2, S1, M1, D1 and FP1. Next year C3, C4, S2, M2, D2 and FP2.
Do you think for my year 12 summer holiday I should learn some S3 and S4 and M3-5?
Also my book states that there's no S5 only goes up to S4!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It won't for STEP 1/2 but I found a lot of STEP 3 questions inaccessible due to only doing those modules you've listed. From what people were saying the applied section in STEP 3 isn't that bad if you've done the higher applied topics (Think I might've made up S5, oops). But if you'v only done M2 and S2 you won't really be able to do alot of the applied on STEP 3. Also There were a few differential equations bits I'd never seen before and possibly bits you learn in FP3 too. So if you can do more I'd definitely recommend it to help you.
Original post by Bruhh
It won't for STEP 1/2 but I found a lot of STEP 3 questions inaccessible due to only doing those modules you've listed. From what people were saying the applied section in STEP 3 isn't that bad if you've done the higher applied topics (Think I might've made up S5, oops). But if you'v only done M2 and S2 you won't really be able to do alot of the applied on STEP 3. Also There were a few differential equations bits I'd never seen before and possibly bits you learn in FP3 too. So if you can do more I'd definitely recommend it to help you.

Well looks like this is gonna be a very tough year😭😭 i'll start as soon as I finish my AS exams and will be starting preparation for STEP I this year lol :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bruhh

Also how long do you think it'll take to learn some of these modules? Want to do really well in my STEP exams if it's necessary lol!

What did you get in STEP if you don't mind me asking :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Also how long do you think it'll take to learn some of these modules? Want to do really well in my STEP exams if it's necessary lol!

What did you get in STEP if you don't mind me asking :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I honestly have no idea how long it'd take to learn them by self teaching, probably very dependent on you as an individual.

I got 3,3 on STEP 2/3, had some personal stuff right before STEP 2 so that brought that down a lot in my opinion but I had very very low hopes for the 1,1 I needed.
STEP is vicious: it's a completely different format to A-Level Maths, even though it tests content on the same level. You have to think in a completely different way. People at my school started doing hardcore revision right after finishing AS exams all the way up to A2 exams and as far as I know no-one hit their STEP offers (11 - SS). This year there's 3 hour STEP revision sessions once a week for maths applicants, but it'll still be hard for them.
It's not going to be doable in Year 12; but you can start revising early by doing maths challenge, IMO, etc papers and attempting as many STEP past papers as possible from the end of AS onwards.
Original post by Bruhh

So you can sit STEP 1 having learnt A2 level maths and A2 further maths? Its pointless me looking at them now because I'm in year 11.
Original post by trythis
STEP is vicious: it's a completely different format to A-Level Maths, even though it tests content on the same level. You have to think in a completely different way. People at my school started doing hardcore revision right after finishing AS exams all the way up to A2 exams and as far as I know no-one hit their STEP offers (11 - SS). This year there's 3 hour STEP revision sessions once a week for maths applicants, but it'll still be hard for them.
It's not going to be doable in Year 12; but you can start revising early by doing maths challenge, IMO, etc papers and attempting as many STEP past papers as possible from the end of AS onwards.

Will A2 maths and A2 further maths cover the content for STEP 1 as warwick and other top unis want a 2 in any STEP. I am in year 11 but just thinking ahead
Reply 15
So you can sit STEP 1 having learnt A2 level maths and A2 further maths? Its pointless me looking at them now because I'm in year 11.

Yeah for STEP 1 you could probably do the odd question already depending on your ability. But STEP 1 is only based on the core A level syllabus so yes just doing Maths/FM is enough.
Original post by Bruhh
Yeah for STEP 1 you could probably do the odd question already depending on your ability. But STEP 1 is only based on the core A level syllabus so yes just doing Maths/FM is enough.

Thanks for your help, its much appreciated. STEP 2 have additional content? , I only need to sit one and get a 2. My maths is ok , I sat methods and applications of maths and got 2 A*'s. I'll be taing STEP 1 for sure now , thanks for clarifying stuff for me
(edited 7 years ago)
Will A2 maths and A2 further maths cover the content for STEP 1 as warwick and other top unis want a 2 in any STEP. I am in year 11 but just thinking ahead

Yes; STEP I is intended for people not taking FM, so taking FM puts you at an advantage. Just know that the A-Level syllabus will not be enough preparation itself, you'll also need to do a large amount of work preparing for it.
Original post by trythis
Yes; STEP I is intended for people not taking FM, so taking FM puts you at an advantage. Just know that the A-Level syllabus will not be enough preparation itself, you'll also need to do a large amount of work preparing for it.

Ok thanks a lot pal , your help is much appreciated.
Ok thanks a lot pal , your help is much appreciated.

No problem :smile: Since you're in Y11 at the moment you might want to start trying to get into the Maths Challenge follow-on rounds (Kangaroo and BMO), because universities love that.

Quick Reply

Latest