The Student Room Group

Access to health and /foundation year

Hi
I was today at UWE open day. I would like to do Midwifery next year. I asked at admissions about Foundation year.I was told that if I have Access to health qualification then it is unlikely that I will be accepted for the foundation course. The problem is that the grades I have achieved on access are not satisfactory enough to get into Midwifery.And I have D on both Maths and English. Therefore Foundation year was my only hope to apply. I was told that the only option would be to redo access and gcses, which will take me another three years as its too late to apply anywhere for this year. But on the UWE website is says: The Foundation Course for Health Professions is year zero of your degree course in the Allied Health Professions or Nursing and Midwifery departments at UWE Bristol. Primarily designed for mature students withFEW or no qualifications, or those who DO NOT MEET THE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS for an undergraduate BSc(Hons) degree, this unique course will give you a springboard into higher education.'' ....So.... I have FEW qualifications and I DO NOT meet the entry requirements with my Ds at GCSE.. so how come that Admission lady said that I must have NO QUALIFICATIONS to get into this course.... Has anyone been in same situation and despite that got a place for Foundation year.... i will ring them again on Monday to clarify what does it mean FEW QUALIFICATIONS... but until then could someone help please :frown:
Original post by Dolly4386
Hi
I was today at UWE open day. I would like to do Midwifery next year. I asked at admissions about Foundation year.I was told that if I have Access to health qualification then it is unlikely that I will be accepted for the foundation course. The problem is that the grades I have achieved on access are not satisfactory enough to get into Midwifery.And I have D on both Maths and English. Therefore Foundation year was my only hope to apply. I was told that the only option would be to redo access and gcses, which will take me another three years as its too late to apply anywhere for this year. But on the UWE website is says: The Foundation Course for Health Professions is year zero of your degree course in the Allied Health Professions or Nursing and Midwifery departments at UWE Bristol. Primarily designed for mature students withFEW or no qualifications, or those who DO NOT MEET THE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS for an undergraduate BSc(Hons) degree, this unique course will give you a springboard into higher education.'' ....So.... I have FEW qualifications and I DO NOT meet the entry requirements with my Ds at GCSE.. so how come that Admission lady said that I must have NO QUALIFICATIONS to get into this course.... Has anyone been in same situation and despite that got a place for Foundation year.... i will ring them again on Monday to clarify what does it mean FEW QUALIFICATIONS... but until then could someone help please :frown:

Moved into the Nursing and Midwifery area.**

Unfortunately this really is something you would need to discuss with the university and not really something anyone here would have the authority to advise on.

Generally a foundation year is offered as an alternative to the access course, which I'm sure is what the admissions tutor was referring to. They therefore would not expect someone to go from an access course to the foundation degree, as they are likely very similar courses. From their point of view, taking on a student who has failed to make the grades on an access course is a risk, as they have failed at a similar level to the foundation course.*The university may be willing to consider your case and your personal circumstances, e.g. if there is some sort of personal reason why you did not meet the required grades, but this really would be at their discretion.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending