The Student Room Group

why are so many British people job snobs ? (whats wrong with being a cleaner)

My brother-in-law runs his owns company that employed over 500 people. he can't count the number of time he had a person come for an interview who is almost 25 years old been to university who has zone work experience on their CV. He always asks them what wrong with doing a cleaning job in the early morning or evening after college it looks better to have any form of employment of your CV.
They always fail to get employment which his company which pays over £9.00 an hour for a bag handler at the airport. because they come across as lazy and seem themselves as too good for jobs such as being a cleaner.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can you try retyping that with proper sentence structure/get rid of any typos?
Original post by Dheorl
Can you try retyping that with proper sentence structure/get rid of any typos?

Nah he didn't even stick around to wait for a debate. Seems like a drive by troll thread.
Original post by looloo2134
My brother-in-law runs his owns company that employed over 500 people. he can't count the number of time he had a person come for an interview who is almost 25 years old been to university who has zone work experience on their CV.

Edit: Quite obvious you're an absolute ballsack of a kipper troll who somehow thinks that posting these sort of opinions, pretending to be an unreasonable remainer, is some kind of really clever propaganda tactic. It's not; it's a typical manoeuvre from thickos who don't have anything interesting or insightful to say themselves. Anyway, here is my answer to your made up scenario:

Has zone work experience? What does that mean? It sounds like your brother-in-law is a typical British businessman who thinks he has a right to cheap labour.

British people would be happy to clean toilets if they were properly paid for it. If you would pay people £25,000 a year to clean toilets, you would have no shortage of Britons willing to do it. What they're not willing to do is to clean toilets for starvation wages. What's the best your brother-in-law pays minimum wage and has shite working conditions?

This nonsense about British people being lazy and unwilling to do these jobs is a typical propaganda tactic from greedy bosses who think they have a god-given right to have workers begging to work for them for next to nothing. The reason he has this is that there is effectively an unlimited supply of cheap labour due to the open border with the EU, and migrant workers are often willing to live in large share houses, three to a room, and earn almost nothing.

I can't see how it's unreasonable for a normal British person, who has a family to support, who has reasonable aspirations to own a house at some point, isn't interested in working like a serf for your greedy brother-in-law. I can't wait for Brexit so ********s like him suddenly find they can no longer rely on an unlimited supply of cheap labour.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 0to100
Nah he didn't even stick around to wait for a debate. Seems like a drive by troll thread.

I think you're right.*
Original post by Reality Check
I think you're right.*

Yea...his spelling and grammar errors seems either deliberate or he's truly a tosser

With that said though I'd take any job I can get, as a young single healthy male at uni who needs money constantly.

I am currently moving for a job as pest control in council homes...technically that's cleaning...

at the same time you can't snub people for snubbing low work, it only shows they have high goals...
Original post by 0to100
Yea...his spelling and grammar errors seems either deliberate or he's truly a tosser

With that said though I'd take any job I can get, as a young single healthy male at uni who needs money constantly.

I am currently moving for a job as pest control in council homes...technically that's cleaning...

at the same time you can't snub people for snubbing low work, it only shows they have high goals...

Quite so!
Quite fitting troll thread for a username "looloo", you go clean :borat:
Reply 8
Your brother is simply stupid, sorry. Why the f*** should work experience in cleaning or anything else be relevant to me as a STEM graduate, or even as a historian, philosopher, or any other reputable degree graduate?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by AlexanderHam
Edit: Quite obvious you're an absolute ballsack of a kipper troll who somehow thinks that posting these sort of opinions, pretending to be an unreasonable remainer, is some kind of really clever propaganda tactic. It's not; it's a typical manoeuvre from thickos who don't have anything interesting or insightful to say themselves. Anyway, here is my answer to your made up scenario:

Has zone work experience? What does that mean? It sounds like your brother-in-law is a typical British businessman who thinks he has a right to cheap labour.

British people would be happy to clean toilets if they were properly paid for it. If you would pay people £25,000 a year to clean toilets, you would have no shortage of Britons willing to do it. What they're not willing to do is to clean toilets for starvation wages. What's the best your brother-in-law pays minimum wage and has shite working conditions?

This nonsense about British people being lazy and unwilling to do these jobs is a typical propaganda tactic from greedy bosses who think they have a god-given right to have workers begging to work for them for next to nothing. The reason he has this is that there is effectively an unlimited supply of cheap labour due to the open border with the EU, and migrant workers are often willing to live in large share houses, three to a room, and earn almost nothing.

I can't see how it's unreasonable for a normal British person, who has a family to support, who has reasonable aspirations to own a house at some point, isn't interested in working like a serf for your greedy brother-in-law. I can't wait for Brexit so ********s like him suddenly find they can no longer rely on an unlimited supply of cheap labour.

My brother law who growup in rented house he not greedy he work as a warehouse for 5 years on minimum wage for company than they made him line manager then local manager at £25.000 year it took him over 12 years to of hard work. Then he took a great risk and started his own company with a wife and three children under 5.

He now has over 500 people working for him some being there for over ten years and started working for £9.00 an hour not minimum wage now take home salary of £35000.
Original post by oShahpo
You're brother is simply stupid, sorry. Why the f*** should work experience in cleaning or anything else be relevant to me as a STEM graduate, or even as a historian, philosopher, or any other reputable degree graduate?

he not stupid he value a high work effect which does show through having a degree it shows though having a job any job and kept it. anyone who went good or outstanding secondary school of normal intelligent can go to university. They can't all keep a job more than 3 months.
he not stupid he value a high work effect which does show through having a degree it shows though having a job any job and kept it. anyone who went good or outstanding secondary school of normal intelligent can go to university. They can't all keep a job more than 3 months.

I, for one, know that I am far better than a lowly cleaner and will not lower myself to such degrading work. Anyone who has sunk so low as to have a permanent low paying job is usually entirely at fault for it, and should be regarded as such.
Original post by 0to100

i have respected for any person who has employment of any kind i have no respected for people who believe them to good for a job . As a friend of my a university graduate started working as a cleaner during her degree she now a manager at the company and take home £40000 a year. All job have a future if you work hard there no such thing as a dead end job.
Original post by DarthRoar
I, for one, know that I am far better than a lowly cleaner and will not lower myself to such degrading work. Anyone who has sunk so low as to have a permanent low paying job is usually entirely at fault for it, and should be regarded as such.

what an arrogant thing to say there is nothing degrading about having any form of paid employment it much better than sitting at home doing nothing.
I wouldn't get a cleaning job as a stepping stone to getting a baggage handling job so I can have the privilege of £9.00 an hour :rofl:
what an arrogant thing to say, there is nothing degrading about having any form of paid employment it much better than sitting at home doing nothing.

Indeed it is much better, but people who have achieved the lowest, are the lowest.
Original post by oShahpo
You're brother is simply stupid, sorry. Why the f*** should work experience in cleaning or anything else be relevant to me as a STEM graduate, or even as a historian, philosopher, or any other reputable degree graduate?

I don't want to be arrogant or mock people who get those sorts of jobs, that is not who I am, but basically this. It has no relevance to you or your future so why should you feel privileged to scrape a toilet just to show some ******* you can turn up?
Original post by AlexanderHam

You established he's a troll, yet all trolls are in it for is a reaction and you just gave him a lot of your time :s-smilie:
It's because cleaning is a **** job that no one actually wants to do. That's the fact. Even a cleaner would admit that their job is ****.
I've been turned down for a job as a cleaner before I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending