The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Would you be able to contact wherever you took your AS levels to ask for the results that you got? It's best to ask as I think UCAS are quite strict about all of the qualifications on your application being correct so I wouldn't risk it just in case.
Original post by claireestelle
If you have AS levels which you will have a certificate for, then declare them.

Just got a sheet with them on, no certificate
Original post by Coerce

which as levels are they ? :smile:
which as levels are they ? :smile:

Linear spec AS.. Bio/Chem/Psychology
Original post by Coerce

So the exams you sat were official AS exams?
So the exams you sat were official AS exams?

Yep.. but my own person UCAS tutor said we don't have to declare them as it was optional for schools to do them
Original post by Coerce
Yep.. but my own person UCAS tutor said we don't have to declare them as it was optional for schools to do them

Nope. If you got an overall grade for a subject you MUST declare it.

It doesn't matter if you don't have a certificate as such. What matters is if there was an overall grade on your statement of results.
Original post by jneill
Nope. If you got an overall grade for a subject you MUST declare it.

It doesn't matter if you don't have a certificate as such. What matters is if there was an overall grade on your statement of results.

Read earlier on a topic (students who were applying to medicine) that UCAS itself doesn't have an option for 2016 AS entry.. I should logon and try it for myself, Thanks for your help
Original post by Coerce

I don't think you have to declare them as AS on the linear spec doesn't count towards the actual A Level. On the application, there isn't an option for gaining a qualification in 2016. But there is a lot of confusion as to whether these grades need to be declared

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by littlemix012
I don't think you have to declare them as AS on the linear spec doesn't count towards the actual A Level. On the application, there isn't an option for gaining a qualification in 2016. But there is a lot of confusion as to whether these grades need to be declared

Posted from TSR Mobile

heard it from multiple students/teachers.. was hoping someone may have a conclusive answer
Original post by ST1024
As I was completing the education section of my UCAS application, I realised I did not know how to give certain information.

First of all, I am a prospective international student from Argentina who has participated in several national and international olympiads in various subjects. Where should I put those qualifications? Should they be in "Other (International Non-EU Qualifications)"? Which information should I provide? For example, if I have been the first place nationally in a certain olympiad for two years, should I put both years or only the last one? How will they know the relative importance of each competition and how did they work?

I also had doubts with the exam board for GCSE/A level exams. My school told me it was CIE, but CIE is not on the options. Which one should I put?

With regards to English language, I am sitting for CAE in December. Should I still put my First Certificate results?

I am also taking the AS and A2 part of the A levels together in June next year. Should I put them separatedly?

Finally, I need to mark this section as complete before they email my referee. If I find later on that there is some missing information, can I still add it as long as I have not sent my application?

I would be extremely grateful if you could help me with these queries. Thank you very much in advance.

Competitions aren't qualifications. Those should be mentioned in your reference

CIE should be an option as an exam board. Add your GCSEs as International GCSEs and CIE is an option. CIE is an option for A levels

Original post by Coerce
I basically resat AS cause I know I did shockingly in my first year.. couldn't bring myself to go the the results day that year.. so I don't know what I got? I'm fairly confident it was all Us.. can I just put all Us then?

Secondly, just finished the first year of linear exams, since they don't count to anything do I need to declare them?

Original post by BethanyBrooks
Does anyone know what you do about the new linear AS levels on your UCAS application? For example, I took Biology as an AS in the summer just gone and got an A. But it's a linear course and doesn't count towards the actual A2. Does anyone know what you put on the UCAS application? (looking at people that have already applied for uni ie, Oxbridge and medicine) TIA

I don't think we have to say what we got for AS, most schools took the AS exams for the new spec but not every school did. Plus, there isn't a 2016 option for when we achieved the AS, on the UCAS website.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Coerce

If you sat official AS exams and got overall grades then your results HAVE been certified and MUST be declared.

The changes to how grades are calculated have not changed the QUALIFICATION awarded which is why UCAS haven't differentiated between pre and post 2016 AS levels. A linear AS and a modular AS are both STILL AS levels.

I don't know why this is so confusing to so many applicants - an AS is and always was a qualification in it's own right. If you have SAT an AS level and got a grade for it then you've been AWARDED that qualification. You MUST declare ALL qualifications on UCAS.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Coerce
heard it from multiple students/teachers.. was hoping someone may have a conclusive answer

You've been given the conclusive answer; if you received a grade in a subject, you declare it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coerce

Hiya have a read of this as it may be more help
https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/entering-levels-and-levels-your-ucas-application
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 473

Thank you very much. I found that link very useful. I did not know that I was supposed to put the month in which my results were certified. However, in my GCSE certificate it says "November 2015 examination series" but it does not say when it was certified. How can I get to know that?
Original post by ST1024
Thank you very much. I found that link very useful. I did not know that I was supposed to put the month in which my results were certified. However, in my GCSE certificate it says "November 2015 examination series" but it does not say when it was certified. How can I get to know that?

No problem! When did you sit your GCSE's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 475
No problem! When did you sit your GCSE's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sat them in November 2015.
Original post by ST1024
I sat them in November 2015.

Put the date you got your results perhaps? I sat my GCSE's in May/June 2015 and got my results in august 2015, not sure if you had a day where you got your results from your school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 477
Put the date you got your results perhaps? I sat my GCSE's in May/June 2015 and got my results in august 2015, not sure if you had a day where you got your results from your school

Posted from TSR Mobile

My school gave me the results in a ceremony that is usually held on May, but I do not know when they got the results. I suppose they had them by Januery 2016, as CIE usually gaves results in Januery. Should I put Januery then?

I was also confused because in the following link they put June for exams taken during the June series, even though their results should have been in August: http://www.cie.org.uk/images/179016-instructions-for-students-applying-to-study-in-the-uk-through-ucas.pdf

I suppose the UCAS information is the correct one (i. e. that the date is the results date and not when the exam was taken), isn´t it?
This subject has not been reformed yet so I would be retaking one module.

If I was to state I got and A in one module and I put my overral grade surely they would still be able to figure out what I got in my other Unit?
Original post by PQ
Competitions aren't qualifications. Those should be mentioned in your reference

CIE should be an option as an exam board. Add your GCSEs as International GCSEs and CIE is an option. CIE is an option for A levels

If you sat official AS exams and got overall grades then your results HAVE been certified and MUST be declared.

The changes to how grades are calculated have not changed the QUALIFICATION awarded which is why UCAS haven't differentiated between pre and post 2016 AS levels. A linear AS and a modular AS are both STILL AS levels.

I don't know why this is so confusing to so many applicants - an AS is and always was a qualification in it's own right. If you have SAT an AS level and got a grade for it then you've been AWARDED that qualification. You MUST declare ALL qualifications on UCAS.

Sorry, but you're very knowledgeable, so since no one else seems to know, I'll ask you.

I sat this GCSE for Maths: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/gcse/mathematics-linear-b-4365 As you can see it has B at the end of it, and on UCAS I have the option to select Mathematics or Mathematics B. On my certificates it simply says "Mathematics". Which option do I pick, or does it matter?