The Student Room Group

Gymnast Louis Smith mocks Islam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
But that's the point isn't it? He's not mocking or insulting any other religion. The hostility has only been towards Islam/muslims for quite some time now.

Tbh you can't have any role in the public eye and do something offensive without the papers writing articles about it. They only do it to sell papers and Louis Smith is one of the more well known Olympians.

It's because they react like lunatics. That's why Draw Muhammad Day is a thing.
Reply 61
Original post by Wilfred Little
How is mocking somebody for being gay the same as mocking someone for having daft beliefs?

If religion is fair game then ALL topics should be fair game.
Original post by catholicgirl
[In a sarcastic tone] OK then. We should also mock homosexuals and transgender people. While we are at it we should also mock disabled people and people with life threatening illness.

[In a disbelieving tone] Have I just read you asserting a moral equivalence to mocking people who have disabilities or a sexuality which they can't help, and followers of an absurd belief system which claims that everyone who doesn't accept their teachings and submit to their god will be burnt in hell for all eternity?

Can you not see the moral difference? Seriously?

I think jokes about anything are fair game.

Your point didn't make sense though. You're implying the religious have no control over their beliefs in the same way a disabled person can't get rid of their disability or a gay person can't be straight. This is complete shite.

You might not have chosen to be indoctrinated as a child but still, plenty of people leave religion later in life. If people believe something stupid then they tend to get mocked.
Reply 64
Original post by generallee
[In a disbelieving tone] Have I just read you asserting a moral equivalence to mocking people who have disabilities or a sexuality which they can't help, and followers of an absurd belief system which claims that everyone who doesn't accept their teachings and submit to their god will be burnt in hell for all eternity?

Can you not see the moral difference? Seriously?

The point I was ACTUALLY trying to make was that you should not mock something that is alien to you (that you cannot relate to). Those of you who think you can mock someones religion are seriously lacking in morals and need to take a long look at yourself. I am a Catholic and I don't mock atheists. I am smart enough and educated enough to know that we live in a world of differing beliefs that should be RESPECTED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 65
I think jokes about anything are fair game.

Your point didn't make sense though. You're implying the religious have no control over their beliefs in the same way a disabled person can't get rid of their disability or a gay person can't be straight. This is complete shite.

You might not have chosen to be indoctrinated as a child but still, plenty of people leave religion later in life. If people believe something stupid then they tend to get mocked.

The point I was ACTUALLY trying to make was that you should not mock something that is alien to you (that you cannot relate to). Those of you who think you can mock someones religion are seriously lacking in morals and need to take a long look at yourself. I am a Catholic and I don't mock atheists. I am smart enough and educated enough to know that we live in a world of differing beliefs that should be RESPECTED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI I chose to be catholic I was not 'indoctrinated' . Your attitude stinks :frown:

FYI I chose to be catholic I was not 'indoctrinated' . Your attitude stinks :frown:

Beliefs should be open to criticism. I'm not going to respect something if I think it's stupid.

I didn't say you were, the point is that some children are indoctrinated so they don't have a choice what to believe, but when they get older some of them leave religion. That's why you can't compare religious beliefs to the things you mentioned.
Who cares.

Religion shouldn't be off limits.
Reply 68
Beliefs should be open to criticism. I'm not going to respect something if I think it's stupid.

I didn't say you were, the point is that some children are indoctrinated so they don't have a choice what to believe, but when they get older some of them leave religion. That's why you can't compare religious beliefs to the things you mentioned.

'Criticism' and 'mocking' are completely different. Saying a belief makes no sense and does not seem feasible is 'criticism' saying it is 'stupid', 'nonsense' or making fun of its followers IS 'MOCKING'. Today's society needs to learn the difference.
'Criticism' and 'mocking' are completely different. Saying a belief makes no sense and does not seem feasible is 'criticism' saying it is 'stupid', 'nonsense' or making fun of its followers IS 'MOCKING'. Today's society needs to learn the difference.

I know the difference and beliefs should be open to criticism, mockery and ridicule.
Reply 70
I know the difference and beliefs should be open to criticism, mockery and ridicule.

K.
Original post by the bear
he was horsing around

SWIDT ?

Yeah it's a shame people had to flip over it.*
Original post by Achaea
Neither does anyone else, as long as the religion is Christianity or Judaism or Hinduism or Scientology. If it's Islam, though, we get the endless screeching outrage and grievance-mongering and hysterical accusations of islamophobia!!!! racism!!! bigotry!!! it's gross!! it's racist!!! it will force Muslims into radicalisation and terrorism even though islamic terrorism officially has Nothing To Do With Islam!

But look how these SJWs see Muslims. They clearly view them as being babies who are so emotionally immature that they'll go Charlie Hebdo over a joke. If I was a normal Muslim id probably be more insulted over that.....
[In a sarcastic tone] OK then. We should also mock homosexuals and transgender people. While we are at it we should also mock disabled people and people with life threatening illness.

Stupid and vapid comparison. Those are all things one cannot help. That's why it's wrong to mock them. Religious belief is a viewpoint on the origins of the universe, our reasons for existing, what happens to us after we die and of customs and rules of how individuals and societies should be. You choose to believe in a dogma or you don't. It's like saying mocking somebody's political views is like mocking disabled people. Do you not see how dumb that is?
Nothing wrong with that. We should ridicule and criticise ancient and illogical superstitions at every available opportunity.
Original post by sleepysnooze
who created god? we at least know that dark energy actually exists you absolute pleb

so how did god create the universe from nothing you nonce?

it's not a matter of belief but a matter of empirical observation :| you clearly have no idea about the big bang, this is the thing...

why are you assuming they were ever invented? why are you thinking like everything needs a bob the builder to exist? :| how did god exist without a creator, I must ask once again. your reasoning is like a child's. you can't get past this broken logic that everything (except your sky man) needed to be especially created, even though before the universe there was no universe to create things in.

I wasn't *only* insulting you (as you deserve), I was also giving you some advice - the church will accept you.
but sorry, I find it difficult to be patient with people who don't take the time to read up on this stuff. I have literally been reading about it for years and you're *clearly* somebody who's wilfully ignorant. that should not be my fault and that should not be my burden. I've experienced so many proudly unenlightened people such as yourself who have *so* many drastic logical errors in their mindset that it is just *painful*. I mean, it's not exactly controversial that dunces should not be especially accommodated. either be a least partially rational or you're not going to be able to keep up.

give up on what? trying to educate the mentally less-fortunate?

He's a (very bad) troll :console:

Islam IS alien to me, that is true, but religious belief isn't. As it goes I was raised a Catholic myself, going to Mass every Sunday, week after week, year after year. Just as you were.

What I don't really understand, though, is why you would be do distressed at someone mocking Islam. Islam denies the very essence of your faith quite as vehemently as any atheist. More so.

The divinity of Christ and Holy Trinity is a lie according to the Quran. And Jesus was not crucified according to God's word as relayed to Mohammed.

The Shahada, the first pillar of Islam is explicit. "There is no God but God."

How as a Christian can you "respect" that??

Well, no; they cannot help having those characteristics. Beliefs and ideologies, on the other hand, are ideas that should be challenged.

All ideas are fair game.
[video="youtube;5AkAGc5nOXw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AkAGc5nOXw[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending