The Student Room Group

why are so many British people job snobs ? (whats wrong with being a cleaner)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by looloo2134
My brother law who growup in rented house he not greedy he work as a warehouse for 5 years on minimum wage for company than they made him line manager then local manager at £25.000 year it took him over 12 years to of hard work. Then he took a great risk and started his own company with a wife and three children under 5.

He now has over 500 people working for him some being there for over ten years and started working for £9.00 an hour not minimum wage now take home salary of £35000.

35k after 10 years of experience isn't amazing. People who get good A levels and degrees and get onto a good graduate program will often do better and for what, to crawl over your smug asshat of a brother in law you clearly admire so much?
Original post by SmashConcept
I've been turned down for a job as a cleaner before I think.

:rofl:
My brother-in-law runs his owns company that employed over 500 people. he can't count the number of time he had a person come for an interview who is almost 25 years old been to university who has zone work experience on their CV. He always asks them what wrong with doing a cleaning job in the early morning or evening after college it looks better to have any form of employment of your CV.
They always fail to get employment which his company which pays over £9.00 an hour for a bag handler at the airport. because they come across as lazy and seem themselves as too good for jobs such as being a cleaner.

We don't have a living wage, and wage compression has made it very hard to have a decent living standard off low wage jobs. But if you are just talking about part time work like while at university, I completely agree with you.
We do tend to look down on much of the practical sort of work in this country. Many people don't like 'getting their hands dirty' even if there is money to be made.

The British are probably among the worst job snobs in Europe no doubt.
Original post by 0to100
:rofl:

:dontknow:
Original post by memeworksrevenge
35k after 10 years of experience isn't amazing. People who get good A levels and degrees and get onto a good graduate program will often do better and for what, to crawl over your smug asshat of a brother in law you clearly admire so much?

he now got 5 houses and ten million pounds in the bank his work paid for his degree not bad for a boy who got expel from school and started at a company as a cleaner.
Original post by stefano865
We do tend to look down on much of the practical sort of work in this country. Many people don't like 'getting their hands dirty' even if there is money to be made.

The British are probably among the worst job snobs in Europe no doubt.

mate...did you just feed into a troll?

And no it's more like having higher goals than manual labour but dn't tell me you've never seen British blue collar workers before come on!
Original post by james813
We don't have a living wage, and wage compression has made it very hard to have a decent living standard off low wage jobs. But if you are just talking about part time work like while at university, I completely agree with you.

thank that what I'm staying and you can alway start on low wage job and more up in the company like many people do.
:dontknow:

lmao assuming you're healthy perfectly normal young white male your post was one of the funniest shits I've seen on tsr since I joined.

Because I've been turned down for cleaners ...and guess who got the job...you don't have to say...
Original post by 0to100
lmao assuming you're healthy perfectly normal young white male your post was one of the funniest shits I've seen on tsr since I joined.

Because I've been turned down for cleaners ...and guess who got the job...you don't have to say...

No idea but is this the start of some kind of stoned racist rant?
No idea but is this the start of some kind of stoned racist rant?

You do ave an idea because you mentioned racism

I am fried though how'd you know? Can you smell it from ere?

and come on mate dont ruin the joke...
Original post by AlexanderHam
Edit: Quite obvious you're an absolute ballsack of a kipper troll who somehow thinks that posting these sort of opinions, pretending to be an unreasonable remainer, is some kind of really clever propaganda tactic. It's not; it's a typical manoeuvre from thickos who don't have anything interesting or insightful to say themselves. Anyway, here is my answer to your made up scenario:

Has zone work experience? What does that mean? It sounds like your brother-in-law is a typical British businessman who thinks he has a right to cheap labour.

British people would be happy to clean toilets if they were properly paid for it. If you would pay people £25,000 a year to clean toilets, you would have no shortage of Britons willing to do it. What they're not willing to do is to clean toilets for starvation wages. What's the best your brother-in-law pays minimum wage and has shite working conditions?

This nonsense about British people being lazy and unwilling to do these jobs is a typical propaganda tactic from greedy bosses who think they have a god-given right to have workers begging to work for them for next to nothing. The reason he has this is that there is effectively an unlimited supply of cheap labour due to the open border with the EU, and migrant workers are often willing to live in large share houses, three to a room, and earn almost nothing.

I can't see how it's unreasonable for a normal British person, who has a family to support, who has reasonable aspirations to own a house at some point, isn't interested in working like a serf for your greedy brother-in-law. I can't wait for Brexit so ********s like him suddenly find they can no longer rely on an unlimited supply of cheap labour.

I wouldn't change a single word of this - I entirely agree.

Your misguided 'right' to unlimited cheap labour so long as it's above minimum wage is where capitalism has gone wrong. Greedy little social climbers who attempt to enrich themselves on the backs of the working poor are my number one target for eradication. A low rent Phillip Green.
(edited 7 years ago)
he now got 5 houses and ten million pounds in the bank his work paid for his degree not bad for a boy who got expel from school and started at a company as a cleaner.

How very vulgar.
Bullies mentality - they pick on others just to feel better about themselves

I know people in retail who look their noses down at cleaners - despite the fact they more or less make the same salary
Original post by 0to100
You do ave an idea because you mentioned racism

I mentioned racism because you mentioned race.

I am fried though how'd you know? Can you smell it from ere?

You haven't seen the news??

and come on mate dont ruin the joke...

ok
If you went to university and you're gunning for cleaner jobs, you just wasted the tax payer's money (or your own if you self-funded) and your life (opportunity cost). That kind of stuff you do on the side when trying to earn some £££ during your studies.
Original post by 0to100
mate...did you just feed into a troll?

And no it's more like having higher goals than manual labour but dn't tell me you've never seen British blue collar workers before come on!

Unfortunately many graduates are finding their degrees are not tickets to prosperity.

I think university can be a very positive thing. However our obsession with White Collar work means many other good professions are overlooked.

This article sums up this argument quite well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/11124612/Todays-university-students-are-being-sold-a-lie.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
I wouldn't change a single word of this - I entirely agree.

Your misguided 'right' to unlimited cheap labour so long as it's above minimum wage is where capitalism has gone wrong. Greedy little social climbers who attempt to enrich themselves on the backs of the working poor are my number one target for eradication. A low rent Phillip Green.

My brother in law would never pay the minimum wage he pays the living wage to anybody over 18 with is £9.80 an hour in London and £12.00 an hour for anyone over the age of 21 who doing manual work. he not a low rent Phillip Green he got lot of respect other people something you lack
I mentioned racism because you mentioned race.

You haven't seen the news??

ok

No I never!

I don't watch the news. Should I start?
Original post by stefano865
Unfortunately many graduates are finding their degrees are not tickets to prosperity.

I think university can be a very positive thing. However our obsession with White Collar work means many other good professions are overlooked.

This article sums up this argument quite well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/11124612/Todays-university-students-are-being-sold-a-lie.html

Obsession with a stable job and income to survive in this day and age?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending