The Student Room Group

Would you accept it?

If you were a male and you got offered an arranged engagement with a pretty girl, would you accept it or reject it?

It's part of our religion.

And this is what I am currently going through.

My family are pressurising me to give the relationship a chance.

At first I was flattered and fully gassed.

But I am a teen and I have no intentions of being in a relationship.:argh:

Plus I am still a Peter Pan at heart, so having this in my life is an inconvenience for me.

Don't get me wrong the girl is really pretty, and the mum seemed to really like me for her daughter.

But it's just awkward, because I don't want to be in a relationship.:argh:
Original post by Legit Bad man
If you were a male and you got offered an arranged engagement with a pretty girl, would you accept it or reject it?

And this is what I am currently going through.

My family are pressurising me to give the relationship a chance.

At first I was flattered and fully gassed.

But I am a teen and I have no intentions of being in a relationship.:argh:

Plus I am still a Peter Pan at heart, so having this in my life is an inconvenience for me.

Don't get me wrong the girl is really pretty, and the mum seemed to really like me for her daughter.

But it's just awkward, because I don't want to be in a relationship.:argh:

Nah I wouldn't, that's just uncivilised tbh. No one should be engaged to a complete random because of religious culture. People should choose who they wish to marry. Ridiculous in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

you mean culture
Reply 3
Several things to pick out

1. You're a teen (you don't say how old, but still quite young to get married)
2. You don't want to be in a relationship
3. You're marrying her because she's pretty and not because you're compatible with her

3 good reasons why you shouldn't. But that's just me.
If you aren't ready for a relationship then say no, pretty looks are not enough of a reason to say yes

When the engagement is done they will heavily pressure you to set a date for the wedding. you can't stall forever, at some point they will get the message and break it off with you.
Original post by mkap
you mean culture

Ummmm no, it's haram to be in a relationship.

So Arranged is what is prescribed in Islam.

So not culture, more religion tbh.
real badmen dont have a religion
Original post by RossB1702
Nah I wouldn't, that's just uncivilised tbh. No one should be engaged to a complete random because of religious culture. People should choose who they wish to marry. Ridiculous in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously, you think arranged marriages are "uncivilised"?
Original post by yungaheartz
If you aren't ready for a relationship then say no, pretty looks are not enough of a reason to say yes

When the engagement is done they will heavily pressure you to set a date for the wedding. you can't stall forever, at some point they will get the message and break it off with you.

Yeah I did say no, but my family ended up questioning my sexuality, and asked if I was secretly gay.
Yeah I did say no, but my family ended up questioning my sexuality, and asked if I was secretly gay.

wow thats weird. hope you said 'no i'm just young and who the hell wants to settle down at this age?'
Ummmm no, it's haram to be in a relationship.

So Arranged is what is prescribed in Islam.

So not culture, more religion tbh.

alright just hold up for a second mate, now imma tell you a story so go grab yo popcorn

my friend and her current husband (thanks to me aye) are muslim as am i, but it was not arranged, they first met up with each other and got to know each other. technically no relationships, no kissy wissy or snoggy woggy yeah.

then after several months they got engaged and just over a month ago they got married and are hella happy together.

mate arranged marriage is not prescribed, it does not say "thou must marry who thou mother brings home" (astagfirullah)

tell your parents you gonna meet her and get to know her as a friend and then make your decision on whether or not you want to get to know her some more. that way you can see if your compatible. if you rush in you won't last very long. my mum and dad went to an amusement park on the first day they met, its been a long time alhamdullilah
Clearly you are going for looks probably.

Maybe you should get to know her properly first and considering that you are quite young (teen), she still need time to make up your decision.

:/
Seriously, you think arranged marriages are "uncivilised"?

Yes I do. Think about it you're marrying a complete random person just because of some stupid culture. Some people who refuse to do it are disowned by their families and have actually killed themselves to get out of arranged marriages.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending