The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ItsAbdullah99
Hi thanks a lot , so far im thinking of manchester, newcastle and probably st georges. Not sure about the fourth yet but i'll have a look at the other ones you mentioned, what about you? good luck to you too

Manchester's a good option as long as you have a minimum of 6As at GCSE c

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by medic99
Newcastle, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and since 2017 entry now Sheffield as they rank applicants based on ukcat. good luck where are you thinking of? Avoid GCSE heavy such as Cardiff, kings, Birmingham

Aberdeen only use UKCAT for 40% of their pre-interview scoring, and Edinburgh only use the cognitive section for 20% (and SJT for 15%), whilst 50% of Edinburgh's scoring comes form academics (and half of that GCSEs, which need to be pretty much perfect). Neither of them would really be considered UKCAT heavy.
UKCAT heavy Med Schools would be Newcastle, Sheffield, Southampton, Plymouth who use solely UKCAT to rank applicants; Kings and Glasgow who rely on it fairly heavily.
Aberdeen's academics are predicted A2s rather than GCSEs, so that may help, and Barts use UCAS tariff and UKCAT 50:50, so also avoid GCSE scoring. Manchester rank UKCAT then use their equivalent of PS. Liverpool score A* and A at GCSE the same, then use UKCAT and PS. Exeter use predicted.achieved A2 (though you are likely to need 3 A* predicted for an interview). St Andrews are less clear about exactly how they score people but state if you have strong academics and relevant experience you will be ranked on UKCAT (no mention is made of GCSE requirements)
Reply 9062
[QUOTE="PanickingYear12;67899626"]
Original post by Aristh
(reposted from another similar thread)
Hi, Guys, please help :| Sat my UKCAT yesterday, didn't do very well, got:
VR 500
AR 590
QR 780
Avg ^623, SJ band 2
I have achieved grades at A level at AAAB

one uni I'm considering is Cardiff, because they don't weigh UKCAT that much, but, I'm at a disadvantage when it come to their pre-interview admission policy because in my country, students in public schools are only allowed to take 6 GCSE'sMy grades are A*A*A*A*A*AThey had it on their website that should it be limited as such, that I should mail them. I mailed them yesterday about it, but got an automated reply and nothing after that yet, am I too late? anyone with any advice on this?

The other place I'm thinking of is Barts and the London. They weigh UCAS tarrif and UKCAT at 50:50 in pre-interview admission while requiring a minimum tarrif of 144 and UKCAT in the third decile, My UKCAT is in the third decile for last year and also third decile for the interim results of this year ( so I'm hoping ill still be in the third decile when the final statistics are released on the 7th )The reason I'm considering Barts is that I might have an advantage when it comes to UCAS tarrif. An A*A*A* at A level will give a tarrif of 168, my tarrif is 216 thanks to 4 A levels and an A in CIE ESOL CAE So my question is, would that give me a good chance?

I'm also considering applying to the A900 programme at St Gerorge ( Medicine for international students) . However, I don't meet the cutoff score for last years A100 programme, and I don't think i'll meet it this year. I have tried to find out if they impose a cutoff for the A900 prgramme and had no luck. Does anyone have any information regarding this?

Also might consider Bristol, don't know if my ps will be good enough though, I was deputy head boy and then an year later, Head boy at my school. Prefect for 5 years. Also founded and Chaired on the executive and Organisational board of an NGO for two years. ( working for the NGO, I was a big part of organizing and executing social events that required communication and delegational skills ). Also currently a volunteer at another NGO that deals with similar stuff. These aren't medically related, and I'm hoping to provide medical insight other ways as I have been unable to get employed after school. Can I make a good case? Any advice?
Even if it's not related to what I have shared, any other advice and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and finally I am I good enough?

I think you have a strong chance with Cardiff since the proportion of your GCSEs are really high - wait for what the they though, and in the meantime make sure to it is stated in your reference that you are limited to sitting only six GCSEs.

With Barts I think you've got a strong chance because your UCAS Tariff is just amazing. It might be a risk though to be on the third decile. Worth a shot though.

St George's I dont really know much about their international programme, sorry.

For Bristol it truly depends on how you reflect on what you did rather than doing loads and just listing them so I'd be careful - it's quite risky especially given the competition here.

Maybe consider Nottingham and Birmingham? I think you might have a fair chance with Notts especially. Also is A*A*A* your predicted grades? Because then it's worth looking at Exeter - you'll be in the top tier for selection to interview.

I'll definitely look into them!and no, I included the A*A*A* to show how the the results would translate into tarrif, I have achieved AAAB
Original post by ItsAbdullah99
Hi thanks a lot , so far im thinking of manchester, newcastle and probably st georges. Not sure about the fourth yet but i'll have a look at the other ones you mentioned, what about you? good luck to you too

you and I have opposite strengths. My GCSEs are good (9a*2as) and ukcat slightly above average (690 avg) band 2 so i'm applying to 2 gcse heavy kings, birmingham and the other 2 are a mix of everything leicester, nottingham.

Good luck for your application aswell :biggrin:
Hey guys! Really want to do medicine. Very disappointed with my ukcat score - total of 1830- 3rd decile. I know that it's very low, but I wanted to ask advice on which unis to apply to... All a*s GCSEs. All As AS.. Predicted A* x3..

Thanks in advance guys!!
Original post by Examstuffxoxo
Hey guys! Really want to do medicine. Very disappointed with my ukcat score - total of 1830- 3rd decile. I know that it's very low, but I wanted to ask advice on which unis to apply to... All a*s GCSEs. All As AS.. Predicted A* x3..

Thanks in advance guys!!

Cardiff, Birmingham, Exeter all would be good choices for UKCAT universities :h:
If you have a lot of volunteer work, Keele would be a good choice, and if you are confident on your PS, so will Liverpool.
Are you taking the BMAT? If so you can apply to any of them.

Your academics are amazing though, congratulations :biggrin:
Original post by Gogregg
Cardiff, Birmingham, Exeter all would be good choices for UKCAT universities :h:
If you have a lot of volunteer work, Keele would be a good choice, and if you are confident on your PS, so will Liverpool.
Are you taking the BMAT? If so you can apply to any of them.

Your academics are amazing though, congratulations :biggrin:

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!
I would like to apply to Exeter- but I'm not sure how my ukcat score will affect my application?!

Bristol was also one of my choices..?

Yes I'm sitting the bmat- hopefully it will suit me more than the ukcat. Oxford or Ucl maybe?

Really gutted about my ukcat score. Hope it won't mean I won't get an offer this year. 😥
Hey, thanks for the quick reply!
I would like to apply to Exeter- but I'm not sure how my ukcat score will affect my application?!
Bristol was also one of my choices..?
Yes I'm sitting the bmat- hopefully it will suit me more than the ukcat. Oxford or Ucl maybe?
Really gutted about my ukcat score. Hope it won't mean I won't get an offer this year. 😥

From what I've heard, Exeter put people into bands based on predicted A-Levels, so with your A*A*A* prediction, you will be in the top band, and I think UKCAT only comes into play when a band is oversubscribed, which hopefully won't be the case, but I'm not completely certain, so it may be risky. It would be better to do some digging around on their website for yourself :biggrin:. I think last year they only interviewed from the top band , with exceptions for widening-access people, but yet again, I'm not certain.

If you're really confident on you PS, Bristol could also be a really good choice, since they are only 10% UKCAT, but since it's their first year of using it, we can't be completely certain how they will use it, but if your PS is really good, it will more than make up for it :h:

Oxford will love your GCSEs, but of course, they're very high risk, but if you like it there, definitely apply :biggrin:
UCL would also be a good choice, and to be honest, you stand a very good chance at any of the BMAT universities as long as you do well on the BMAT and prepare adequately, so it's more choosing which ones you prefer out of Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, ICL, BSMS, Leeds and Lancaster

If you're applying tactically, then there's no reason that you shouldn't get offers, and you seem to be conscientious of doing so, so I'll have my fingers crossed for you, since your academics are honestly perfect :lol:
Original post by Gogregg
From what I've heard, Exeter put people into bands based on predicted A-Levels, so with your A*A*A* prediction, you will be in the top band, and I think UKCAT only comes into play when a band is oversubscribed, which hopefully won't be the case, but I'm not completely certain, so it may be risky. It would be better to do some digging around on their website for yourself :biggrin:. I think last year they only interviewed from the top band , with exceptions for widening-access people, but yet again, I'm not certain.

If you're really confident on you PS, Bristol could also be a really good choice, since they are only 10% UKCAT, but since it's their first year of using it, we can't be completely certain how they will use it, but if your PS is really good, it will more than make up for it :h:

Oxford will love your GCSEs, but of course, they're very high risk, but if you like it there, definitely apply :biggrin:
UCL would also be a good choice, and to be honest, you stand a very good chance at any of the BMAT universities as long as you do well on the BMAT and prepare adequately, so it's more choosing which ones you prefer out of Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, ICL, BSMS, Leeds and Lancaster

If you're applying tactically, then there's no reason that you shouldn't get offers, and you seem to be conscientious of doing so, so I'll have my fingers crossed for you, since your academics are honestly perfect :lol:

Thank you so much for replying!!
Such a nice comment 😊😊

I think it's just going to take a bit of research! And a lot of luck! I just hope I'll get some offers - but even if I don't, I'll take a year out and re-apply for 2018 entry (although with the fees going up, it wouldn't be ideal!)

Where are you thinking of applying?
Thank you so much for replying!!
Such a nice comment 😊😊

I think it's just going to take a bit of research! And a lot of luck! I just hope I'll get some offers - but even if I don't, I'll take a year out and re-apply for 2018 entry (although with the fees going up, it wouldn't be ideal!)

Where are you thinking of applying?

If you apply where I suggested, then it's definitely very possible :h:

Personally, I'm applying to UEA, Barts and The London, Newcastle and Dundee :biggrin:
Original post by ChemBoss
For all you guys that are still writing their Personal Statement have a look at these thing's to look out for.

For more useful info check out /medcrackeruk on Facebook!

Would strongly suggest any potential applicants learn to use apostrophes better than whoever made this poster.
Original post by Helenia
Would strongly suggest any potential applicants learn to use apostrophes better than whoever made this poster.

lol!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9072
Does anyone know when St George's release their UKCAT cut off?
I have done my GCSEs and I got A*s and a lot of As. The school which I came from was rated as inadequate from Ofsted last year and the average grade for each subject at our school was a grade E. Therefore would I stand a chance at applying for university such as Oxford, Cambridge or Leeds? I'm really worried because people are saying you need all A*s in your GCSEs to get into Oxbridge.
What are your actual GCSE grades?

Firstly don't worry about GCSE's for now, focus on your A-levels as they are far more important. Also try and sort out any work experience now cause it can take some time.

Secondly Oxford and Cambridge have very different policies on GCSE's. Oxford place a great emphasis on your GCSE's, the average number of A*s is 10.3 and the average % of A*s is 91%.
Cambridge aren't as fussed, and top a-level grades and good BMAT score is far more important.
guys, the bmat is so hard I'm crying

Thanks in advance guys!!

I think Bart's look at those from the third decile up and automatically reject those below. So you may be fine with Barts based on your academics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks in advance guys!!

You have been given good advice: Exeter, Cardiff, Birmingham, QUB would all be places you should score highly enough to get an interview (assuming you have 9 GCSEs?). I would also ring Aberdeen and ask their advice as they use predicted A2s and UKCAT to shortlist and your high predictions may compensate for your low UKCAT-they may be able to give you some idea on the phone. UEA is also a possibility, but again more borderline, your perfect academics may compensate for your UKCAT-call and see if they will give you any idea, if not, I would stick with the others suggested, as they seem pretty safe to me!
Keele and Bristol are possibilities if your PS is good
And there is always the BMAT........
Good luck!
Original post by HopelessMedic
What are your actual GCSE grades?

Firstly don't worry about GCSE's for now, focus on your A-levels as they are far more important. Also try and sort out any work experience now cause it can take some time.

Secondly Oxford and Cambridge have very different policies on GCSE's. Oxford place a great emphasis on your GCSE's, the average number of A*s is 10.3 and the average % of A*s is 91%.
Cambridge aren't as fussed, and top a-level grades and good BMAT score is far more important.

3A*s and 8As and a Distinction*
Original post by Hannah_xox
3A*s and 8As and a Distinction*

You could have a chance at Cambridge if you have an amazing application overall ( great BMAT and personal statement, alongside top AS results ). Oxford is very unlikely though

Latest

Trending

Trending