The Student Room Group

I hate the idea of nightlife

How do I change my perspective?

I'm quite introverted. I wish I liked the idea of going out, listening to music I hate and getting drunk but it doesn't appeal. This is not to say I think I'm superior (like some introverts do). I'm sat here infront of my computer wishing that I could accept my Uni acquaintances' invitation to go to a rave with ease.

The problem isn't even social anxiety. It's just a rather strong aversion to the activity. Has anyone overcome such a stance? How can I change my perspective and have a more normal experience? I derive no pleasure from being a snowflake.
Reply 1
It all starts with an open mind. You should be willing to embrace change and you'll feel more positive about having fun at clubs or drinking. You'll never know what it's like until you try. Also, you don't necessarily have to drink to have a good time. I have friends who don't drink but they go just for the music, to hang out with friends or just to enjoy themselves.

You want to change, so be open to change; give it a try without any preconceptions and see how it goes :smile:
Original post by UWS
It all starts with an open mind. You should be willing to embrace change and you'll feel more positive about having fun at clubs or drinking. You'll never know what it's like until you try. Also, you don't necessarily have to drink to have a good time. I have friends who don't drink but they go just for the music, to hang out with friends or just to enjoy themselves.

You want to change, so be open to change; give it a try without any preconceptions and see how it goes :smile:

Yea, I'm considering going to a rock club alone tonight (won't actually go) as I really hate electronic music. It might be that I might make a couple friends from the next Rock and Metal society bar crawl (couldn't make last one as it clashed with Anime or something).

I don't mind drinking. Infact, I probably will have to to stop myself from overthinking. It's just going out to a club which plays music I dislike (trap, dubstep etc) with people I barely know is sooooooooooo far out my comfort zone.
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane

I'm quite introverted. I wish I liked the idea of going out, listening to music I hate and getting drunk but it doesn't appeal. This is not to say I think I'm superior (like some introverts do). I'm sat here infront of my computer wishing that I could accept my Uni acquaintances' invitation to go to a rave with ease.

The problem isn't even social anxiety. It's just a rather strong aversion to the activity. Has anyone overcome such a stance? How can I change my perspective and have a more normal experience? I derive no pleasure from being a snowflake.

I feel like I'm in a very similar situation to you. Maybe make a commitment to yourself to just do it once a week so that way you can meet new people who might have a more similar idea of having fun to you than your current flat mates do. I find i only every really enjoy myself when I'm drinking when i get to a good level of drunk because sometimes you don't feel drunk enough and everyone else is drunker than you so try to avoid that (I'm not saying you have to drink I'm just saying that if you're not drinking and everyone else is it might make you feel a bit isolated and ruin your experience) also why don't you just commit slowly to going out for a few hours and then slowly increase this to a full night out , hope this was helpful
Reply 4
Yea, I'm considering going to a rock club alone tonight (won't actually go) as I really hate electronic music. It might be that I might make a couple friends from the next Rock and Metal society bar crawl (couldn't make last one as it clashed with Anime or something).

I don't mind drinking. Infact, I probably will have to to stop myself from overthinking. It's just going out to a club which plays music I dislike (trap, dubstep etc) with people I barely know is sooooooooooo far out my comfort zone.

I think you just need to try out different things and see how it goes. There are many different types of student events so there will be music from various genres that may interest you. What about your friends? What are they interested in? Perhaps you can find some common ground or if not, join some societies and make new friends to hang out with. That's what I did in my final year.

I am exactly the same, the concept of being drunk and dancing in a big crowd like a festival is unappealing. I prefer playing footy with the lads, or a more social party like a posh ball or something or a beach party. However, I have never tried nightlife so I could change my mind?
So I've arranged to go to the Rock Club next Saturday with a girl I met on my first day who Iikes similar music. I have a week to psych myself up.

Thanks @halliethestudent, you've been helpful. I'm just going to go to the gym tonight.

Original post by UWS
I think you just need to try out different things and see how it goes. There are many different types of student events so there will be music from various genres that may interest you. What about your friends? What are they interested in? Perhaps you can find some common ground or if not, join some societies and make new friends to hang out with. That's what I did in my final year.

My couple friends I've made so far don't like the same music as me. And they're home this weekend. Joined some societies but haven't made friends there yet. I haven't had time to do the social side after the soc event as I've had work to do and I've joined A LOT of societies.
So like for choir, I turned up to sing then went to the library for a few hrs and then went home and slept. Should be a bit easier from this week.

Original post by SuperHuman98
I am exactly the same, the concept of being drunk and dancing in a big crowd like a festival is unappealing. I prefer playing footy with the lads, or a more social party like a posh ball or something or a beach party. However, I have never tried nightlife so I could change my mind?

What's odd is that I've done concerts with big mosh pits alone before and they've been fine.
Balls are defo my thing :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending