The Student Room Group

Fees

Do you think it's fair all degrees cost the same or do you think 'soft' degrees should cost more? What about degrees that lead directly to professions/are in demand e.g. Medicine, nursing, teaching, engineering etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surely 'soft' degrees should cost less?
Original post by caitlynm
Surely 'soft' degrees should cost less?

Talking to my friends about it the general view is they should cost more in order to lower fees of other degrees- the angle we were coming from is that they aren't needed to reach certain career goals, they are taken as more of a choice, to explore the subject or simply to have the uni experience/because they don't know what else to do- they often don't even lead to a related job. Where as other degrees lead to specific, highly skilled jobs that are in high demand and essential for society to function. They are more like training for a job then just gaining a degree (if that makes sense??). On top of this qualifications such as these are also usually longer by a few years then the normal 3 year degrees and can't be taken alongside part time jobs so fees and maintain loans add up a lot more. I'm curious why you think they should cost less?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by caitlynm
I understand your point of view completely!

Personally for me, I'm not going to be paying tuition fees regardless as I'm Scottish and studying in Scotland (and hoping to study law).

I think up here anyways when your first and year of university don't count towards your degree and there's little contact time then it seems like a waste of money for those who are paying.

Then tell them its a waste of money and just skip your first year. See if people still view it as a qualifying degree.
I say there should be a lower limit of around £20,000 a year, other than that we should let the market decide. The more in demand a degree is, the higher the fees should be.
Original post by #ChaosKass
I say there should be a lower limit of around £20,000 a year, other than that we should let the market decide. The more in demand a degree is, the higher the fees should be.

Would you still propose the student loan payback system is the same, as surly no one would get near to paying it back?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending