The Student Room Group

2019 Veterinary Applicants!

Volunteer Note: This thread was for applicants to the 2019 Vet Med courses. To see the thread for applicants to the 2020 courses, click here. To ask current Vet Students questions about what it's like to study the course, click here. :smile:

I thought I'd be brave and make a thread for hopeful vets to be applying for 2019 entry! :smile:

Hi and welcome! How are A Levels going? Have you chosen which universities you'll apply to? How's work experience?

General UCAS applications thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5473010
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Don't worry.This thread is not a flop.The thread for medicine 2019 has already been made.So you'll definitely find some people thinking of applying.
Bound to be some thread stalkers lurking around. Welcome :awesome:

I'm a current vet student at the RVC, so feel free to ask any questions you have about applying/vet school :smile:

How were your first week(s?) back at school? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Inspiringvisons
Don't worry.This thread is not a flop.The thread for medicine 2019 has already been made.So you'll definitely find some people thinking of applying.

That's good to know, thanks :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Bound to be some thread stalkers lurking around. Welcome :awesome:

I'm a current vet student at the RVC, so feel free to ask any questions you have about applying/vet school :smile:

How were your first week(s?) back at school? :smile:

Thanks, I'll defo have lots of questions xD
And it's been stressful (trying to finish coursework etc) but overall not too bad. I've got work experience week coming up though so I'm looking forward to that :smile:
Original post by buzzyambee
Thanks, I'll defo have lots of questions xD
And it's been stressful (trying to finish coursework etc) but overall not too bad. I've got work experience week coming up though so I'm looking forward to that :smile:

Ahh coursework :moon: It never ends. I'm currently neglecting a massive project on chickens (as you do). I have until April to finish it though.

Where are you going for your work experience? Is it your first placement? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Ahh coursework :moon: It never ends. I'm currently neglecting a massive project on chickens (as you do). I have until April to finish it though.

Where are you going for your work experience? Is it your first placement? :smile:

I find some of the coursework I'm doing quite tedious... I regret taking history so much xD

I'm going to a SA vets near me - really looking forward to it! It's my second placement (did one in the summer). I've got work experience booked in a rescue centre, stables and another SA vets for next summer but really struggling to find lambing/dairy and LA vets near me :/
I'm a third year at Liverpool so any questions feel free to ask me too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Final year Nottingham representing
Third year at Liverpool (the best third year) so feel free to ask me anything :tongue:
Original post by beccac94
Third year at Liverpool (the best third year) so feel free to ask me anything :tongue:

Come on now, let's not tell porkies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lizziefickling
I'm a third year at Liverpool so any questions feel free to ask me too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Angry cucumber
Final year Nottingham representing

Original post by beccac94

Thanks! :smile:
A bit late but oh well 😂 Only just stumbled upon this thread..

I'm in year 11 too. Being bombarded by coursework and homework. And then trying to think about my a levels.

What are you considering taking? I'm considering Biology, chemistry (I know I need these for vet uni) and either History, physics, English (haven't decided literature or language yet:tongue:). OR I was going to take BTEC Level 3 animal management. But I have heard that really universities only like A levels.
Original post by chloe0804

I'm in year 11 too. Being bombarded by coursework and homework. And then trying to think about my a levels.

What are you considering taking? I'm considering Biology, chemistry (I know I need these for vet uni) and either History, physics, English (haven't decided literature or language yet:tongue:). OR I was going to take BTEC Level 3 animal management. But I have heard that really universities only like A levels.

A BTEC is just as good as having A levels and they don't only like A levels, you do however still need an As level alongside the BTEC for some of the universities

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, welcome! :smile:
I hear you. I have never been so busy in my life :/ but we're all here for each other!
I'm defo taking Biology, Chemistry and considering French, Psychology, History, Drama or Physics. I'll be going to lots of sixth form open evenings soon so will probably have more of an idea then.
I guess the BTEC would have to be as well as 3 A Levels. It's good that it would be to do with animals :smile:
Have you started booking/gaining WEX yet?
A BTEC is just as good as having A levels and they don't only like A levels, you do however still need an As level alongside the BTEC for some of the universities

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if I take Biology, chemistry and another a level with BTEC animal management
this would be ok?
I hear you. I have never been so busy in my life :/ but we're all here for each other!
I'm defo taking Biology, Chemistry and considering French, Psychology, History, Drama or Physics. I'll be going to lots of sixth form open evenings soon so will probably have more of an idea then.
I guess the BTEC would have to be as well as 3 A Levels. It's good that it would be to do with animals :smile:

Its hard concentrating on GCSEs when they are expecting us to choose and look at sixth forms :/

Nope not yet.. I already have a job at a livery stables, which was where I did work
experience during year 10. I found it very hard to get placements when I was under 16 as many said I'm too young. So, I think I'm going to have to wait until April..

What about you? any work experience? I found vet surgeries the hardest in year 10.. I think all but 1 turned me down, but it was harder to get there. But I might start having a look at it now

Not required with 3 A levels. A DDD in a BTEC is the equivalent to 3 A's at A level but some require an AS in chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its hard concentrating on GCSEs when they are expecting us to choose and look at sixth forms :/

Nope not yet.. I already have a job at a livery stables, which was where I did work
experience during year 10. I found it very hard to get placements when I was under 16 as many said I'm too young. So, I think I'm going to have to wait until April..

What about you? any work experience? I found vet surgeries the hardest in year 10.. I think all but 1 turned me down, but it was harder to get there. But I might start having a look at it now

Ikr ughghg
The job at the livery yard will look good! I've been finding it hard to find placements too... I've just been asking around and just persevering. Then again, it's early days so we cant get too worked up about it :smile:
So far I've done 1 week SA and have 3 weeks SA vets, 2 weeks at an animal sanctuary and 1 week at a stables booked. So excited!
Not required with 3 A levels. A DDD in a BTEC is the equivalent to 3 A's at A level but some require an AS in chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that's good to know :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending