The Student Room Group

Is it ever right or socially acceptable to snitch?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UWS
Snitches get stitches.

Reply 21
It's easy for people to comment there opinions on here, cause they've never been in your position
Original post by 999tigger
What about the person whose car has been damaged? Why doesnt your friend have the decency to leave the details so a claim can be made on insurance.
Looks like hes failed to stop at the scene of an accident, which is a criminal offence.

Btw you contradict yourself by saying he did damage and then he didnt.

Saying he can claim it on insurance, conveniently excuses the fact he has done damage and will cost this man extra money.

You really are a bonkers poster ambitious I can see why you are always pleading for Assad and Isis.

He's 19 and it would cost him a fortune in future insurance premiums if the claim was made from his insurance he's already paying a fortune in insurance with 1 years no claims. The people that own the damaged car are probably minted anyway.

Perhaps if they parked their car more carefully at night it would not have been struck.

They should just let time pass and it will all be forgotten about.
Original post by Coerce
It's easy for people to comment there opinions on here, cause they've never been in your position

That is your opinion but you are wrong.
Yeah you shouldn't snitch when it comes to minor things like a person dogging school but this guy hit someone's car and thinks it's acceptable to get away with it. Your friend should've owned up and apologised instead of being a coward. Obviously I wouldn't snitch if it was my friend but I would encourage him/her to own up and apologise but this person doesn't have any relationship with your friend so he/she can do whatever they want. Perhaps the neighbour is a good friend with the car owner as well, so why wouldn't they tell the car owner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by PrinceHarrys

Reply 26
Original post by Wilfred Little
That is your opinion but you are wrong.

Ooooo gangster :wink:
Original post by Ambitious1999
He's 19 and it would cost him a fortune in future insurance premiums if the claim was made from his insurance he's already paying a fortune in insurance with 1 years no claims. The people that own the damaged car are probably minted anyway.

Perhaps if they parked their car more carefully at night it would not have been struck.

You really dont get it.

1. Crime failed to report an accident.
2. He has damaged someone elses property, which will cost them money.
3. You are making excuses for that,
4. Your attitude is disgusting.
Original post by Coerce

Yes I have. I stayed and fixed the problem like most adults would. If it was as minor as OP claims it's not going to break the bank.
But the point is the car that got hit could be fixed on the owners insurance, in any case the people that live in that street have money. Our friend doesn't have a lot of money, but he's a good lad and was a bit distracted when he hit the car. They'd just come back from a birthday party there was a lot of banter in the car and it was dark outside. He never wanted to dent the other car he didn't see it.
It wasn't until the next morning it dawned on him when he saw the front of his car s*** what have I done lol? But time is water under the bridge I guess all be forgotten about in a few weeks he thinks until some nosy Parker gets involved.

But you can see the witness snitching is like they have something against him when he did no harm to them.
Many of us were brought up not to snitch on the estate and in any case what reward is there for snitching except creating hostility? Nice people get on with one another not tell tales.

Oh, yes, the 'estate mentality' - where it's OK to **** your neighours over, especially if they don't conform to your estate mentality.
I was burgled not long ago. I'm a pensioner and have a grandson who lives with me and goes to college. I saved up and bought him a new laptop for his IT course. Everyone round here knew who did it, but no one wanted to snitch on them. Don't you just love the estate mentality. Thick or what!

Care to reply to point in the Diane Abbott thread sir? Or do you lack the evidence to back up the claim you made there? (as I suspected)

Also, your friend is reckless, committed vandalism (even if it was unwittingly) and should pay a fine or do community service to learn his lesson
Original post by SomeGuyHere
The idea that someone is a "snitch" is actually rather childish.

That's what I was going to say. This discussion immediately reminded me of school when kids would tell other kids not to "grass" on someone who did something wrong. So stupid.
Original post by Seamus123
Oh, yes, the 'estate mentality' - where it's OK to **** your neighours over, especially if they don't conform to your estate mentality.
I was burgled not long ago. I'm a pensioner and have a grandson who lives with me and goes to college. I saved up and bought him a new laptop for his IT course. Everyone round here knew who did it, but no one wanted to snitch on them. Don't you just love the estate mentality. Thick or what!

Very much so. Completely agree.
Reply 33
Original post by SomeGuyHere
Yes I have. I stayed and fixed the problem like most adults would. If it was as minor as OP claims it's not going to break the bank.

I thought he was referring to his mate, who personally I'd push for him to fix it, rather than snitching. Any hows what would you have done if something was expensive and would break your bank'
Snitch?

A word used by the imbeciles

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I don't like the person, I'll 'snitch' on them, it's as simple as that. :tongue:
Ok a friend of mine was driving back from a birthday party the other night he was quite excited and loud but accidentally over steered into someone's parked car, denting the door and front wing. A neighbour saw this and is threatening to tell the owner and Police, they've even put a postcard in the corner shop window describing my friends car. What right do they have?

But the point is what business of theirs? It's not their car that got dented and in any case the owner of that car will just claim on their insurance.
I think its wrong and a liberty that a stranger can just snitch on someone who has done no harm to them.
My friend is a good lad who is at college with us and doesn't have a lot of money and didn't mean to bash into that other car, it's not like he did it for fun.

But what do people get out of snitching on one another? I think its bad and breaks communities apart.

Do you agree?

I believe that i am a responsible individual, and expect to make good any damage i cause. By the same token, i expect that if someone damages my property, they will make it good - not sneak away like a thief in the night attempting to shift the blame and expense onto me or someone else. The person whose car he damaged may well lose their 'no claims bonus' if they make a damage claim. This could well cost them more than if they paid for the damage (which was your "friend's" fault - no question) out of their own pocket. They may well be a student, or a retired person with limited income (in the Uk, i find this very easy to believe - that their income would be limited). The name for what your 'friend' did is "Hit and Run". Suppose he had injured someone whilst doing that. Would you still maintain that it was OK to run to avoid responsibility?? How about if he killed someone.. same thing???

Suppose he feels he's underpaid at his job - is it ok to steal from his employer??? How much??? Hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands...??? Where do you draw the line??? Millions??? Pretty soon, he's like the big bankers on Wall street - robbing tens of thousands of school teacher's pensions so he can retire in luxury. Now, if you know about this activity of his, and you conceal it - you are an 'accessory'. An accessory after the fact perhaps - but you are still criminally liable. You are perverting the course of justice by concealing evidence.

A mate of mine and i went out to dinner one evening. The parking lot was crowded, and nearly full. She backed up to get into a narrow space, and in the process backed into another car. She parked, and headed for the restaurant. I walked over, and looked over the other car. It was 7 or 8 years old, in reasonably good condition, but me mate had put a sizable dent in a rear door about 2 inches deep. I called her over, and pointed out the damage. She at first appeared unconcerned. I told her that the only honest thing to do was to put her business card on the damaged car, and own up to her causing the damage. After a few minutes, she agreed with me, and did so. A week later, she told me that the woman who owned the other car had called her & they had agreed that my friend would pay for repairs - which amounted to about $1500 [my friend could afford it]. My friend also told me that the other woman had told her that a> she had just gone through a divorce - apparently money was REALLY tight for the poor soul - and - to make matters worse, her only child (a daughter) was in a local hospital dying of cancer - and she was only 24.

Somehow, i don't think that someone in that position should be stuck with an auto repair bill, because my friend was careless. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest