The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hyro
Hi,

So my UKCAT was 690, which puts me just above the 80th percentile. I am a third year chemist and I'm predicted a first. I'm also applying to Barts, Southampton +Kings. I have all the relevant work experience. I'd be lucky to get an interview, but I won't hold my breath. btw, on UCAS, can I to enter my 2nd year results? if so, how? Thanks in advance

Where you've entered your degree and put pending on the result, if you click on that and scroll down it gives the option to add modules and marks 🙂
Original post by MJK91
The lower your academic score, the higher you'll need on your average. Generally 700 is seen as 'safe' but of course it can vary (in 2014 it was 750!). You'll also need an above average VR score.

Because of the yearly variation, it's hard to assess what a 'good' score is. Unless you're miles off the mark (say with a low VR and less than 675 average) then I would give it a punt -- you never know!

Hey!

I have a UKCAT of 700 on the dot but a 580 VR
A 2:1 and an MSc at Oxford
Any ideas on how i would stand? x
Reply 242
Original post by Lostperson
Hey!

I have a UKCAT of 700 on the dot but a 580 VR
A 2:1 and an MSc at Oxford
Any ideas on how i would stand? x

Average VR was 573 for this year, so you wouldn't get rejected because of that (I think).
Original post by hyro
Average VR was 573 for this year, so you wouldn't get rejected because of that (I think).

hopefully.

worried about my score...it seems lowest score to be interviewed was 692.5....

Im hoping my MSc (achieved) will be a strong point.
Reply 244
UKCAT results are slightly lower this year than in 2015. As long as you've got the required work experience, you've probably got a good chance of getting an interview :smile:
Original post by hyro
UKCAT results are slightly lower this year than in 2015. As long as you've got the required work experience, you've probably got a good chance of getting an interview :smile:

haha

i have 1 year at a care home
6 hours of shadowing a consultant
6 of shadowing a senior clinical embryologist
1 week of charity work in kenya

hope this is fine.
hopefully.

worried about my score...it seems lowest score to be interviewed was 692.5....

Im hoping my MSc (achieved) will be a strong point.

You get extra points for Masters and PhD so the UKCAT interview threshold goes down slightly :smile:
Original post by Quilverine
You get extra points for Masters and PhD so the UKCAT interview threshold goes down slightly :smile:

Thank you for replying. I have a last question. A friend of mine got 694 in the UKCAT he also has an MSc , given that the lowest score last year was 692.5 and they have dropped this year. Do you think he stands a good chance for interview ? Do u know how much ish they drop if u have an MSc. ? Xx
Hi everyone I have a friend who has a 694 UKCAt putting him in the 9th Decile do u think he stands a chance on any grad/undergrad courses ? He has a 2:1 in neurology and a MSc from Oxford .
Hi everyone I have a friend who has a 694 UKCAt putting him in the 9th Decile do u think he stands a chance on any grad/undergrad courses ? He has a 2:1 in neurology and a MSc from Oxford .

Depends on VR but may be just about ok for Warwick as he has an MSc.
Original post by MJK91
Depends on VR but may be just about ok for Warwick as he has an MSc.

both our avgs are above the VR , not by much though. I thought as long as you surpassed the mean which I think is 577. Mine is 580 (OUCH) and his 586...

Thank you for the reply. Do you have any idea how the score cut off fare if you have an MSc?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 251
Hi Guys,

I'm slightly worried about how the work experience requirements works.

It says they would want references to comment on ours roles and how we fit Warwick's criteria.This is fine for my first W/E at a nursing home for the past 3 years (limited at 50 hours), when making up the remaining 20 hours it is mostly shadowing doctors. How are they meant to comment on a role when it is shadowing - i.e. sitting doing nothing but observing? And how would that role fit 'Warwicks Criteria'?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Original post by GavinJR
Hi Guys,

I'm slightly worried about how the work experience requirements works.

It says they would want references to comment on ours roles and how we fit Warwick's criteria.This is fine for my first W/E at a nursing home for the past 3 years (limited at 50 hours), when making up the remaining 20 hours it is mostly shadowing doctors. How are they meant to comment on a role when it is shadowing - i.e. sitting doing nothing but observing? And how would that role fit 'Warwicks Criteria'?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Understanding how to talk and communicate with varying patients?
Understanding on the roles of a GP?
Getting an insight into how a GP service operates?
Reply 253
Original post by AdamCW
Understanding how to talk and communicate with varying patients?
Understanding on the roles of a GP?
Getting an insight into how a GP service operates?

I suppose they're all valid points, however, I just phoned up and i was recommended not to apply if i'm filling the 20 hours up by shadowing from various different people. When i mentioned it said on the website they were acceptable experiences, they then said it should be okay. I'm just really wary i may be wasting a place.
both our avgs are above the VR , not by much though. I thought as long as you surpassed the mean which I think is 577. Mine is 580 (OUCH) and his 586...

Thank you for the reply. Do you have any idea how the score cut off fare if you have an MSc?

Sorry can't really be of much more help, I'm a few years out of the application process now! I would imagine it's a total points-based thing so if you have an MSc, and you're above the mean, it sounds like you have a decent shot at getting an interview.
Original post by Hugh Laurie
thanks for making this!

i graduated from Bristol with a 1st in BSc Biochem in 2011, and completed my PhD in Molecular and Cellular Biology last year from Leeds. i realised that i wanted to make a more direct impact than research alone allows, and started preparing to apply for 2017 grad entry. Warwick is one of my top choices alongside Southampton and Newcastle (and maybe Birmingham or one of the London Univs). my ukcat average is 790, dragged down by my poor VR score of 590, I hope the national average remains close to previous years so I will still be above the Warwick cutoff.

looking forward to getting to know some of my fellow warwick applicants.

I just noticed your post and although your overall score is really high, Warwick specifically screens the VR score first and rejects anyone below the mean score of those applying. So it might be risky with Warwick.
Reply 256
Original post by DineOMite
I just noticed your post and although your overall score is really high, Warwick specifically screens the VR score first and rejects anyone below the mean score of those applying. So it might be risky with Warwick.

His VR is 17 points above the average. That should pass the initial test.
I'm so confused by this!!! I've got 35 hours shadowing different doctors in different hospital departments and the rest with hospice volunteering. So does this mean I'm not suitable to apply? It only states two different types of experience on the website, I can't see how it matters how long is spent on each one? Shadowing is just as important as hands on work or volunteering I think!!

Original post by GavinJR
I suppose they're all valid points, however, I just phoned up and i was recommended not to apply if i'm filling the 20 hours up by shadowing from various different people. When i mentioned it said on the website they were acceptable experiences, they then said it should be okay. I'm just really wary i may be wasting a place.
Reply 258
Original post by Joanne86
I'm so confused by this!!! I've got 35 hours shadowing different doctors in different hospital departments and the rest with hospice volunteering. So does this mean I'm not suitable to apply? It only states two different types of experience on the website, I can't see how it matters how long is spent on each one? Shadowing is just as important as hands on work or volunteering I think!!

They said the 70 hours could be spread over more than two places. I'm going to phone again tomorrow to clarify but I've been rather put off. I'll try remember to let you know.
Original post by Carcosa
His VR is 17 points above the average. That should pass the initial test.

Do Warwick cut off those who do not meet the national average or the average of those who apply? If it's the case where they cut off those who do not meet the national average they may be safe however, if their cut off is based off the averages of those who apply, then it would be risky as those that apply may have VR well above the national average. I'm unsure myself though.

Latest

Trending

Trending