The Student Room Group

Are these a good 5 university choices, or are they too ambitious?

Hi!
I was just wondering if people thought these were good options, I'm worried about it being a little too ambitious... I got 6A*s and 4As at GCSE and I'm predicted A*AA at A-Level

I'm applying to study History at:
Oxford (AAA)
Durham (A*AA)
Kings College London (AAA)
Manchester (AAA-AAB) (Or maybe Bristol, but that's also A*AA)
Liverpool (AAA-AAB)

I'm really worried about not getting any offers, or my choices being too ambitious.. Do you think it should be okay, or do I need some lower grade options?

Thank you so much for all your help! :smile: x
Original post by Jamii
Hi!
I was just wondering if people thought these were good options, I'm worried about it being a little too ambitious... I got 6A*s and 4As at GCSE and I'm predicted A*AA at A-Level

Oxford (AAA)
Durham (A*AA)
Liverpool (AAA-AAB)

I'm really worried about not getting any offers, or my choices being too ambitious.. Do you think it should be okay, or do I need some lower grade options?

you need to bear in mind, that the lower offer for manchester and liverpool could be a contextual offer, so maybe make your 5th choice AAB just to be safe.
Reply 2
Original post by Jamii
Hi!

Oxford (AAA)
Durham (A*AA)
Liverpool (AAA-AAB)

They look good choices, I'm in a similar boat but put an ABB choice (Birmingham Philosophy) as my probable insurance just in case- maybe think which one you prefer the least and find a good ABB university for the course? Just for the insurance choice
I agree with @claireestelle - you'd be well advised to have an AAB offer in there just in case, though hopefully you won't need to use it!
As above, unless you qualify for a Contextual Offer (usually because you go to a low performing school), then your offer will be the higher grades.

You also need to remember that any Uni asking AAA will insist on that in August (they have no need to be charitable, they could fill the course 3 times over). And that an offer will be 'competitive' - ie. not automatic because you have A*AA predictions.

This means that you cannot rely on getting an offer from any of 5 choices that are that high, and that having Firm/Insurance choices that are both that high is very risky and totally 'not a good idea'.

You need at least 1 choice where the standard offer includes a B grade. Make sure it is a course(s) that interest you, and that it would be a Uni that you are still happy to go to - it could be your only offer, or it could be your only option if things go wrong next August. Don't just chose something 'just to fill up the form'. Look at somewhere like UEA, Kent, or Royal Holloway or at a joint subject degree (History and Politics/Philosophy/History of Art etc, or with a language) as these degrees often have lower offers, simply because they are not as popular.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending