The Student Room Group

why are so many British people job snobs ? (whats wrong with being a cleaner)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rustyldner
Don't see why there is such hostility to the thread starter imo, he's just voicing his own opinion. And on the point given, yes I personally believe that it is true. Yet it isn't as black and white as the OP makes it out to be. Most British people are not job snobs and just believe that they are capable of getting a more stable and well paying job and therefore don't want a career as a cleaner which is perfectly fine. It is those who look down on someone else for having a unskilled proffesion who are snobs.

it because they have been told from a young age that they should go to university from a young age and it will lead to a well-paid job. They also been taught to look down on people in unskilled professions as be uneducated. Most people under 25 who have been to university believe they are almost entailed to a £25000 a year job without any work experience.
Original post by Jee1
I'm sorry but scrubbing toilets for 6.70 an hour isn't something that I will likely ever consider if the wages were higher then maybe but I'm not going to graft so hard just to get a piss poor wage for all the physical hardwork that I will put in.
Plus I have something that you're missing ambition

what does that means cleaner have no ambition just like most people who get up in the morning to go to work they have ambition.My friend an art school graduate ending up cleaning housing 5 years later she got a company car and earn over £40000 a year. Please don't use bad language it shows you as being childish and you coming across as if you think your better than people who do manual labour. You think your to good to earn minimum wage which you are not
When the oldest of my 7 kids was 12 and the youngest six months old and I was recently divorced, we lived in a fairly affluent area. I cleaned the houses of these well off people and was paid £15+ an hour. It was that or benefits. My oldest is 44 so a long time ago now. I never felt it was demeaning. I did what I had to do and it kept us off the breadline.
Original post by oShahpo
You're brother is simply stupid, sorry. Why the f*** should work experience in cleaning or anything else be relevant to me as a STEM graduate, or even as a historian, philosopher, or any other reputable degree graduate?

Your skills aren't in demand, and a degree no longer represents a high general intelligence, which is why graduates are applying for bag-handling jobs.
Original post by memeworksrevenge
I wouldn't get a cleaning job as a stepping stone to getting a baggage handling job so I can have the privilege of £9.00 an hour :rofl:

that just one of the job his company offer their office work and driving which pay over £12 an hour for people who have shown they get up in the morning and go to work not just feel out of bed in the afternoon and when to classes
This thread is depressing. It goes to show that snobbery is alive and well, but maybe not precisely for the reasons the OP said. Personal insults aside though I think the point is anyone can end up in a minimum wage job, through circumstance and for reasons they have no control over. The merit of a person is not where you start from but where you end up.If that's working as a cleaner and doing part time work for charity saving people from a homeless life. So be it. The merit is in the man (or woman) not their job per se.
Original post by Seamus123
When the oldest of my 7 kids was 12 and the youngest six months old and I was recently divorced, we lived in a fairly affluent area. I cleaned the houses of these well off people and was paid £15+ an hour. It was that or benefits. My oldest is 44 so a long time ago now. I never felt it was demeaning. I did what I had to do and it kept us off the breadline.

i like you.some of the young people on TSR have not got as much life experience and are under the illusion that going through higher education will set them up in life with a good job. They don't realized that nothing is given to them and have to work hard for everything in life. Ever people born with a silver spoon mouth have problems.
Original post by looloo2134
i like you.some of the young people on TSR have not got as much life experience and are under the illusion that going through higher education will set them up in life with a good job. They don't realized that nothing is given to them and have to work hard for everything in life. Ever people born with a silver spoon mouth have problems.

I disagree with your opinion on young people here. Do you actually think I enjoyed cleaning up the **** of people who were too lazy to clean up their own and their arrogant brats mess? The job was a means to an end. I did it so my kids would have better opportunities than I did at the age of most of the young people here, just as the young students in my class at uni work hard so they don't have to clean up after other people.
The young students in my year weren't born with a silver spoon in their mouths. They come from working class families who have made sacrifices for their children. The bloke who works all the hours in the day in the chip shop has 6 kids. 2 are dentists, 2 are pharmacists, 1 teacher and I still at uni. Why would any of them want to clean bogs?
Reply 68
what does that means cleaner have no ambition just like most people who get up in the morning to go to work they have ambition.My friend an art school graduate ending up cleaning housing 5 years later she got a company car and earn over £40000 a year. Please don't use bad language it shows you as being childish and you coming across as if you think your better than people who do manual labour. You think your to good to earn minimum wage which you are not

You could deny this as much as you want, but we are now in 2016 and gone are the days where people could rely on cleaning jobs for a decent wage especially considering how expensive things are in the UK.
Cleaners are disposable now, because everyone and their dog knows how to clean. As well as this, we have immigrants that are willing to work hard for minimum wage as cleaners who share a house with 20 other people.

So no it's not because British people are too lazy or snobby for those types of jobs, it's just that it makes no sense for someone to take a cleaning job when they know they could be worse off.
Original post by Observatory
Your skills aren't in demand, and a degree no longer represents a high general intelligence, which is why graduates are applying for bag-handling jobs.

more depressingly 75% of the graduates who put forward by the jobcentre have been claiming unemployment benefits for over 1 years don't even bother to turn up for the interview so they get fined. If they show loyalty and work hard they would be promoted in 3 months.
more depressingly 75% of the graduates who put forward by the jobcentre have been claiming unemployment benefits for over 1 years don't even bother to turn up for the interview so they get fined. If they show loyalty and work hard they would be promoted in 3 months.

Some people are just no damn good, and the education system does not fix them.
Original post by Jee1
You could deny this as much as you want, but we are now in 2016 and gone are the days where people could rely on cleaning jobs for a decent wage especially considering how expensive things are in the UK.
Cleaners are disposable now, because everyone and their dog knows how to clean. As well as this, we have immigrants that are willing to work hard for minimum wage as cleaners who share a house with 20 other people.

So no it's not because British people are too lazy or snobby for those types of jobs, it's just that it makes no sense for someone to take a cleaning job when they know they could be worse off.

My sister cleaning lady is an English lady her work is a very high standard she gets £15 an hour not everyman and his dog can do they can't. If you ever see a house clean work you know the high standard they work too.
that just one of the job his company offer their office work and driving which pay over £12 an hour for people who have shown they get up in the morning and go to work not just feel out of bed in the afternoon and when to classes

12 whole pounds an hour to drive places and deliver items.
12 whole pounds an hour to drive places and deliver items.

£12 pound an hour is good pay when you start working full time you will realized it
My brother-in-law runs his owns company that employed over 500 people. he can't count the number of time he had a person come for an interview who is almost 25 years old been to university who has zone work experience on their CV. He always asks them what wrong with doing a cleaning job in the early morning or evening after college it looks better to have any form of employment of your CV.
They always fail to get employment which his company which pays over £9.00 an hour for a bag handler at the airport. because they come across as lazy and seem themselves as too good for jobs such as being a cleaner.

Why should a graduate do a job that literally anybody able bodied could do?
£12 pound an hour is good pay when you start working full time you will realized it

It's not good you fool. It's decent for a graduate straight out of university who realises there is a significant potential for wage growth, it's an awful wage to max out on.
Reply 76
Original post by SmashConcept
I've been turned down for a job as a cleaner before I think.

I applied for two over the summer- Nandos and Pizza Express and I was turned down for not having 'cleaning experience'. This is despite tailoring my CV to make sure I showed I was capable of cleaning. I also made sure I didn't look overqualified- downgrading my biggest achievements (including my grades)
You need to have experience for everything nowadays as if common sense isn't enough. The job market is ****ing **** honestly
(edited 7 years ago)
because everybody who is able bodied should be employed what ever their level of education. Having a degree does don't make you entailed to a degree level job you should be employed in any job.
You must disregard every sentence I make for they're all inherently false
It's not good you fool. It's decent for a graduate straight out of university who realises there is a significant potential for wage growth, it's an awful wage to max out on.

please don't insult me you climb the career ladder and your wage goes out ever 3 months. Also most graduates straight out of university don't have much work experience so can't expect a high wage job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending