The Student Room Group

A-level HELP

Hi,

I am applying to medical school and I have a couple of questions that are probably super obvious- apologies for being a dummy.

I graduated with a masters in English abroad and I have no UK qualifications at all. I am applying for undergrad medicine and need to do A-levels (planning to do chemistry, biology and psychology). So my questions are:
- do I need to do AS levels before I do A2-levels or can I just do a combined one- bottom line is I want to do just one exam per subject and be done with it if possible
- is there an exam board in the above subjects that would be 100% exam based and no coursework required?

Thank you so much in advance!!!!
Original post by ArtScience
Hi,

I am applying to medical school and I have a couple of questions that are probably super obvious- apologies for being a dummy.

I graduated with a masters in English abroad and I have no UK qualifications at all. I am applying for undergrad medicine and need to do A-levels (planning to do chemistry, biology and psychology). So my questions are:
- do I need to do AS levels before I do A2-levels or can I just do a combined one- bottom line is I want to do just one exam per subject and be done with it if possible

With the new A-Level changes, AS is now a standalone qualification which means that (for most subjects) they won't count towards your full A-Level. You don't have to do them anymore and can just do the 'full' A-Level papers. It won't be just one exam paper per subject, however - there will be 2 or 3 papers.

- is there an exam board in the above subjects that would be 100% exam based and no coursework required?

Thank you so much in advance!!!!

Most of them, yes. Although some may test practical skills for the sciences (but it'll basically be pass/fail rather than counting towards your result).
Reply 2
Original post by usycool1
With the new A-Level changes, AS is now a standalone qualification which means that (for most subjects) they won't count towards your full A-Level. You don't have to do them anymore and can just do the 'full' A-Level papers. It won't be just one exam paper per subject, however - there will be 2 or 3 papers.

Most of them, yes. Although some may test practical skills for the sciences (but it'll basically be pass/fail rather than counting towards your result).

Thank you very much for the info- this is great news! As I am doing it without attending college, etc. any coursework would be almost impossible or it would require me to arrange it through a college which may be a lot of hassle as I am very mature. :wink: Could you recommend a board that doesn't require coursework in these subjects? thank you!!!
Original post by ArtScience
Thank you very much for the info- this is great news! As I am doing it without attending college, etc. any coursework would be almost impossible or it would require me to arrange it through a college which may be a lot of hassle as I am very mature. :wink: Could you recommend a board that doesn't require coursework in these subjects? thank you!!!

I do them three subjects, no coursework required: biology OCR, Psychology AQA and chemistry Edexcel. However I'm not if ANY exam board for these subjects would have coursework?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Failingstudent98
I do them three subjects, no coursework required: biology OCR, Psychology AQA and chemistry Edexcel. However I'm not if ANY exam board for these subjects would have coursework?

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you- I think I will call the boards tomorrow to see what would be best.
good luck with yours

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending