London School of Economics
London

LSE law 2017

Scroll to see replies

Will be applying with:

GCSEs: 10A*s, 1A
IB: 43/45 (HL History, Psych, Chem)

Not exactly my first choice (Durham) but worried I'll mess up LNAT
Very nervous about applications, since the acceptance rates for previous years have been so incredibly low :s-smilie:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Hi guys, I am currently on a gap year at the law firm Pinsent masons and I got 5A* 5A and 1B at GCSEs. As level I got abbc and to be perfectly honest I got lazy at a2 and only received Bbb despite an A*AA prediction.
I have spoken to the law department who said basically I can apply but can't be guaranteed an offer obviously, and that my application would be at a disadvantage but I could receive an offer if i were to get the grades this year after resitting and I had an exceptional personal statement.

I have read plenty of books on law and attended many lectures from Oxford professors, as well as my gap year (where I am essentially doing the work of a trainee solicitor in the Leeds office) and I travelled to Ghana last year volunteering at an orphanage and helped build a school.

Just want to ask if anyone thinks it would even be worth applying with my grades? Or would it be a waste of time despite all my extra curriculars ?

Thank you in advance to anyone who gives me any help and advice 😊😊😊
Reply 22
Original post by Johnsmith345
Hi guys, I am currently on a gap year at the law firm Pinsent masons and I got 5A* 5A and 1B at GCSEs. As level I got abbc and to be perfectly honest I got lazy at a2 and only received Bbb despite an A*AA prediction.
I have spoken to the law department who said basically I can apply but can't be guaranteed an offer obviously, and that my application would be at a disadvantage but I could receive an offer if i were to get the grades this year after resitting and I had an exceptional personal statement.

I have read plenty of books on law and attended many lectures from Oxford professors, as well as my gap year (where I am essentially doing the work of a trainee solicitor in the Leeds office) and I travelled to Ghana last year volunteering at an orphanage and helped build a school.

Just want to ask if anyone thinks it would even be worth applying with my grades? Or would it be a waste of time despite all my extra curriculars ?

Thank you in advance to anyone who gives me any help and advice 😊😊😊

Hi there, just wanna share my thoughts here with you, and hope you will find it useful.

I think the advice given by the law department is very helpful. Needless to say that LSE places a lot of emphasis on the personal statement, it also seeks for academically able applicants. Although A*AA is the requirement set by the school, bear in mind that it is also the minimum entry requirement for the school to further consider you in the pool.

A better solution is to consider the probability of you scoring an A*AA upon resitting. In other words, you will need to consider how strong are your A and B grades in AS level to achieve an overall A*AA.

All in all, it's quite challenging for you to meet the entry requirements. Maybe you can consider other good schools such as Warwick with an entry requirement of AAA. Nevertheless, you should also try to give in your best for A2 resit. As every cloud has a silver lining, who knows that you might make it to LSE it eventually?

This is my overall view and I hope you don't find it offensive. Best of luck mate! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Heheboy
Hi there, just wanna share my thoughts here with you, and hope you will find it useful.

I think the advice given by the law department is very helpful. Needless to say that LSE places a lot of emphasis on the personal statement, it also seeks for academically able applicants. Although A*AA is the requirement set by the school, bear in mind that it is also the minimum entry requirement for the school to further consider you in the pool.

A better solution is to consider the probability of you scoring an A*AA upon resitting. In other words, you will need to consider how strong are your A and B grades in AS level to achieve an overall A*AA.

All in all, it's quite challenging for you to meet the entry requirements. Maybe you can consider other good schools such as Warwick with an entry requirement of AAA. Nevertheless, you should also try to give in your best for A2 resit. As every cloud has a silver lining, who knows that you might make it to LSE it eventually?

This is my overall view and I hope you don't find it offensive. Best of luck mate! :biggrin:

Hi, I just realised that I forgot to include my as resits in my as grades so in as I actually got AAAC aha

I wasn't too far of the A's in my subjects with the biggest difference being 10 ums of an A. I do really want to apply but am not hopeful, I am also applying to Warwick at the moment and I am also thinking Manchester.

Thank you for your advice it was very helpful! And I didn't find it offensive lol :biggrin: I just was wondering as I didn't want to apply if I didn't have a snowballs chance in hell! Now I'm just confused as f*** as even lse said if you have an exceptional ps it would definitely be taken into account :s-smilie:
Reply 24
Original post by Johnsmith345
Hi, I just realised that I forgot to include my as resits in my as grades so in as I actually got AAAC aha

I wasn't too far of the A's in my subjects with the biggest difference being 10 ums of an A. I do really want to apply but am not hopeful, I am also applying to Warwick at the moment and I am also thinking Manchester.

Thank you for your advice it was very helpful! And I didn't find it offensive lol :biggrin: I just was wondering as I didn't want to apply if I didn't have a snowballs chance in hell! Now I'm just confused as f*** as even lse said if you have an exceptional ps it would definitely be taken into account :s-smilie:

Oh great, then you should definitely try and apply since you have reasonable AS grades now! However, I was thinking that having a resit in both exams may put you at disadvantage compared to other applicants who scored well in the first sitting.

Anyway, you should focus on your A2 resitting now apart from preparing a convincing personal statement. I'm also applying to LSE for law this year! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by ladanldn
Currently studying: History, English Literature, Media Studies

GCSE grades: AAAAABBCCC (with one of the c's being in maths, it's too late to retake now and I hope it won't have an impact..)
AS Levels: I have only done one AS as all my other subjects are now linear and I got a high A grade (media studies)

Haven't been told our predicted grades yet, but I'm worried they may be low despite me working very hard and hopefully expecting to get an A*AA

I feel as if I am too average, will that one bad GCSE grade have an impact if I want to study law?

I also got a C in Maths (I did IGCSE extended International Mathematics which is harder than the normal course) and emailed LSE about it.
They said if the rest of my application is great, they will ignore the C in maths at IGCSE.

So don't worry much about it and work hard for you A Levels!
I'm applying this year. A bit worried I'll get rejected because I'm applying to Oxford, too. Also not sure if I'd want to pay the high accommodation prices if I ended up going to the LSE.
Hey everyone! I'm a Canadian student in my last year of high school (grade 12 for us) applying for entrance into LSE law in 2017:smile:

In Ontario (different provinces in Canada have different grading systems which is a huge pain) where I'm from, you need a minimum of 5 grade 12 courses to graduate (I'm currently taking 7, and I took 3 last year), and your mark in each course is out of 100%.
These marks are then averaged to get your overall average out of 100%.
The LSE law minimum grade requirement for people from Ontario is a 95% which is extremely high for a minimum...To put it into perspective, Oxford asks for a minimum of 90% which is reasonable for a top tier school.

My predicted grades for this year are: 97% in Law, 95% in French, 96% in English Lit, 98% in History, 97% in International Business, and 97% in Music. This gives me an overall predicted average of 97%.

I'm stressed about how much importance LSE places on personal statements...I'm afraid mine isn't "business" enough as I'm applying to Oxford for the BA in Jurisprudence as well:s-smilie:

Best of luck to everyone! Hopefully by January this thread will be full of excited acceptance posts xx
Original post by JohnGreek
Congrats on the amazing grades

Don't worry about the P.S.. The only important thing I'd suggest putting on there is work experience and what you learnt from it. My statement was very philosophical and largely touched upon my thoughts on political theory, and it wasn't held against me afaik. The important thing is having good "hard" evidence of how good you are - and that could be anything from doing an EPQ to independent research/reading to work experience.

Thank you so much:smile:

Yeah my P.S. is much more philosophical in nature however, I think I demonstrated how much outside/independent reading/study I've done:smile: I was worried about not having relevant work experience though...
Original post by JohnGreek
Congrats on the amazing grades
I agree with you on the high entry standards - it's similar for Greece as well (where I'm from), where they ask you for a very high end-of-year grade (usually 19,000/20,000). I honestly think that the disparity is incredibly unfair towards international students. This perhaps isn't a disparity as large as that of Cambridge, which feels comfortable giving A*AA offers for A-level candidates and 41 (7,7,6) offers to IB students, but still.

Don't worry about the P.S.. The only important thing I'd suggest putting on there is work experience and what you learnt from it. My statement was very philosophical and largely touched upon my thoughts on political theory, and it wasn't held against me afaik. The important thing is having good "hard" evidence of how good you are - and that could be anything from doing an EPQ to independent research/reading to work experience.

oh you're from Greece? I always thought you were British. I thought wrong. So how's things with you? Are you already at uni yet? I remember you from two years ago. Are you in your third year of uni now?
Reply 30
Sent my application in yesterday! Good luck to all of you applying c:
Hi everyone I have a question, I recently submitted my Law Application nearly 2 weeks ago (on Friday) I got an email acknowledging my application but I haven't received anything regarding initial assessment etc does this mean I am likely to get rejected? Thanks.
Original post by MixedFlower
Hi everyone I have a question, I recently submitted my Law Application nearly 2 weeks ago (on Friday) I got an email acknowledging my application but I haven't received anything regarding initial assessment etc does this mean I am likely to get rejected? Thanks.

I don't think that means you're likely to get rejected, since everyone goes through the initial assessment (if I'm not mistaken). I think they just review applications in batches, rather than as they come!
Reply 33
Original post by MixedFlower

They issue the initial review letter (2 weeks) according to batches. Maybe your application is classified as the second batch, so perhaps you should wait for another 2 weeks. If my guess isn't wrong, the first batch of rejection should fall on this Thursday by virtue of the failure to pass the initial assessment.
Original post by Heheboy
They issue the initial review letter (2 weeks) according to batches. Maybe your application is classified as the second batch, so perhaps you should wait for another 2 weeks. If my guess isn't wrong, the first batch of rejection should fall on this Thursday by virtue of the failure to pass the initial assessment.

Will they email everyone at once? As in, both those who passed the initial assessment and those who didn't?
Reply 35
Original post by thirdcultureteen
Will they email everyone at once? As in, both those who passed the initial assessment and those who didn't?

If I'm not mistaken, they will issue the first batch of rejection emails on this Thursday. On the following Monday (the expiry of 2 weeks), they will inform the remaining that they will be considered for the 8 weeks assessment.

This guess was made based on the experience of seniors for the past few years. Hopefully this is true! :smile:
Thank you everyone :smile: I'm definitely nervous, LSE is my favourite UNI that I've applied to.
I hold a 2.i degree in International Relations from a top academic institution. I obtained my pre-university qualifications outside of the UK and they were lower than the asked grades. I have spoken to the department and they nevertheless encouraged me to apply, as they ask for a 2.i of mature students with a prior degree. Has anyone else here applied with a prior degree? Would you say that it is worth applying?
I submitted my UCAS last Friday and last night changed my applications, I changed Bristol to LSE.
This is my grade Profile:
GCSE: A*A*A*A*AAABBB
AS:AB (the other two didnt have an AS)
A2: A*AA

Do I stand a substantial chance of getting an offer and how long should it be for the initial stage to go through and get responses?

Thanks guys :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 39
Hi! Was just wondering if anyone knows if LSE take into account mitigating circumstances for both GCSE and A Levels? Unfortunately because of my mitigating circumstances I only received ABB in my A2 levels so I'm resitting in my gap year with predictions of A*AA. Not sure if there's any point in applying to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending