The Student Room Group

Thinking of doing a Sherlock Holmes impression

For my sixth forms dramatic society auditions. Yay or nay? Got a better idea?

Tips for doing the impression?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by TheCe
For my sixth forms dramatic society. Yay or nay? Got a better idea?

Tips for doing the impression?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Protip: it's not an impression if it's a fictional character.

Read the books and then watch Basil Rathbone, Ian Richardson, and Jeremy Brett's characterisations of Holmes. Jeremy Brett is probably the closest to the books IMHO.
Reply 2
Original post by Tootles
Protip: it's not an impression if it's a fictional character.

Read the books and then watch Basil Rathbone, Ian Richardson, and Jeremy Brett's characterisations of Holmes. Jeremy Brett is probably the closest to the books IMHO.

Oh thanks. What do I call it then?

I was thinking Benedict Cumberbatch...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by TheCe
Oh thanks. What do I call it then?

I was thinking Benedict Cumberbatch...

Posted from TSR Mobile
You call it "acting," especially if you're in a dramatic society.

Think again. Benedic Cumberbatch does not play Sherlock Holmes at all well, neither does he play any part except himself. The only thing I saw him actually act in was Hawking in 2004.
Reply 4
Original post by Tootles
You call it "acting," especially if you're in a dramatic society.

Think again. Benedic Cumberbatch does not play Sherlock Holmes at all well, neither does he play any part except himself. The only thing I saw him actually act in was Hawking in 2004.

Alright thanks.

I think he has played it brillliantly. But then again I haven't watched any of the ones you mentioned above.
So if I choose to act like any one of these, are there any particular scenes which are easier to do or have the chance of making me stand out most if I do them perfectly?
And how do I do them perfectly? Tips and stuff? I'm supposed to do it tomorrow and I want it to be really good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by TheCe
Alright thanks.

I think he has played it brillliantly. But then again I haven't watched any of the ones you mentioned above.
So if I choose to act like any one of these, are there any particular scenes which are easier to do or have the chance of making me stand out most if I do them perfectly?
And how do I do them perfectly? Tips and stuff? I'm supposed to do it tomorrow and I want it to be really good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you've not read the books or watched the programmes/films based on those books then you aren't really in a position to judge how well Cumberbatch plays him. The main things that stick out to me about him are that Cumberbatch plays him as an arrogant, rude, and egocentric; where the character is always polite, and humble concerning his position in humanity - even though he is openly honest concerning his capabilities.

While I'd say you should train up properly for it, you obviously haven't got time - though I'd say watch this episode with Jeremy Brett:

I'd also recommend you find the short story it's based on, which shouldn't be more than an hour's read.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest