The Student Room Group

Postgrad Speech & Language Therapy 2017 Entry (PG Dip/MSc)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adesola
Just read that UCL are charging for 2017?!! That can't be right surely?

Do you mean for the application? If so yes, they charge £75 for all MSc applications to cover staff costs, they do it every year :frown:
Reply 81
Original post by rainbowworld
Do you mean for the application? If so yes, they charge £75 for all MSc applications to cover staff costs, they do it every year :frown:

Hey Rainbow !

No, I meant the course fees, it says the course fees for UK/EU students is around £9 grand ???
Original post by Adesola
Hey Rainbow !

No, I meant the course fees, it says the course fees for UK/EU students is around £9 grand ???

Yes they are but that will be covered by the NHS for courses starting 2017, then courses starting 2018 onwards you will need to get student loans to cover it.
Reply 83
Hello all,

Currently trying to plough through my personal statement. Finding it horrific actually. Applying for UCL and City University. Focusing on my UCL application at the moment and I am really finding the questions uninspiring. Really stumped with what to write!!! I applied once before and was unsuccessful due to lack of experience. My experience is good but finding it impossible to input it in the personal statement. I guess we have the chance to pin point experience in the separate skills and experience section.

Anyone else finding the application bloody boring and a nightmare!?!?
Original post by CNIC8
Hello all,

Currently trying to plough through my personal statement. Finding it horrific actually. Applying for UCL and City University. Focusing on my UCL application at the moment and I am really finding the questions uninspiring. Really stumped with what to write!!! I applied once before and was unsuccessful due to lack of experience. My experience is good but finding it impossible to input it in the personal statement. I guess we have the chance to pin point experience in the separate skills and experience section.

Anyone else finding the application bloody boring and a nightmare!?!?

Agree it is difficult but can put specific info on the form for UCL, personal statement is your chance to talk about what you've got from it. I have spent so long on it I'm a bit sick of it now!
Did you get through to interviews last time you applied? **
Reply 85
rainbowworld how did your application to Reading go? Also; you know when we provide evidence of our degree classification, do I have to provide the module results or can I just show them my degree classification only.
Reply 86
Agree it is difficult but can put specific info on the form for UCL, personal statement is your chance to talk about what you've got from it. I have spent so long on it I'm a bit sick of it now!
Did you get through to interviews last time you applied? **

Hi I'm looking at both UCL and CIty for Speech Language Pathology, in your opinion which uni would be better overall for the course ? thanks.
Original post by alex300
Hi I'm looking at both UCL and CIty for Speech Language Pathology, in your opinion which uni would be better overall for the course ? thanks.

If you want to be a speech and language therapist than either course will do. Employers won't care which uni you qualify from, only whether you can do the job. UCL gives you a MSc so the workload is slightly more intensive than City. Go to the open days and look at the modules. It should purely be a decision based on which one of the courses that you would enjoy more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alex300

Hi, I couldn't say really. I would say that city is seen to be more 'hands on' and UCL more academic but before city was a PGDip instead of MSc but from next year it is an MSc and all courses have to cover the same content so I would imagine they are similar. You need to go to open days/ interviews to make a real assessment for yourself. I would advise applying to both though as the course is so competitive!!
Just wanted to say the last two days I've been on the Speech and Language as a career course at City Lit in London and although it is a little pricey I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone applying for SLT. It was really interesting!
Original post by Adesola
rainbowworld how did your application to Reading go? Also; you know when we provide evidence of our degree classification, do I have to provide the module results or can I just show them my degree classification only.

Oh my goodness, it's terrible, I still haven't finished it! But so close - should be sent tomorrow :smile:
You have to provide your transcript as far as I'm aware with all of your module grades, that is what I have uploaded. I think you might need to provide A-level results too (definitely do for City).
Reply 91
Oh my goodness, it's terrible, I still haven't finished it! But so close - should be sent tomorrow :smile:
You have to provide your transcript as far as I'm aware with all of your module grades, that is what I have uploaded. I think you might need to provide A-level results too (definitely do for City).

Rainbow! I contacted City and they said that we should also provide our GSCE results as it's very competitive. I don't understand why we have to provide our A-level results and our GCSE'S??

Good luck with your personal statement and your application!
Reply 92
Just wanted to say the last two days I've been on the Speech and Language as a career course at City Lit in London and although it is a little pricey I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone applying for SLT. It was really interesting!

*rainbow*! Why didn't you tell me? :biggrin: Just joking.

How was it, and what did you enjoy about it.
Original post by Adesola
*rainbow*! Why didn't you tell me? :biggrin: Just joking.

How was it, and what did you enjoy about it.

I literally booked it Monday evening! Was VERY last minute!! We got to meet lots of clients, such as people with a stammer and people with aphasia. We also got a talk from a lady from City university about the course and we got some information about applications and interviews. Best of all was being able to meet other people in a similar situation really! I think GCSEs and A-levels are required just because it is competitive really. They might look for English or Science grades - especially for people who did not cover those topics during their degree.
Reply 94
I literally booked it Monday evening! Was VERY last minute!! We got to meet lots of clients, such as people with a stammer and people with aphasia. We also got a talk from a lady from City university about the course and we got some information about applications and interviews. Best of all was being able to meet other people in a similar situation really! I think GCSEs and A-levels are required just because it is competitive really. They might look for English or Science grades - especially for people who did not cover those topics during their degree.

(sigh) Are you going to put down your GCSE results ?
Reply 95
It doesn't make sense..I mean GCSE grades..really?! UCL applications don't ask for GCSE'S, they just want to see your degree results.
I submitted my Reading application earlier today and I'm so scared now!! Hope my referees manage to do my reference in time. Need to crack on with the others now though and stop checking my emails constantly!

If it says in the handbook for City to put GCSEs then I will but I don't remember reading that you need to put them. I put my maths, science and English GCSE results on my Reading application - not really sure if I was meant to or not! If you don't want to list them though then don't, it's your application. They won't care much about them at all compared to your degree result etc.
Reply 97
Hello, I'm planning on applying to most of the SLT courses this year - just have a quick question, does anyone know whether for UCL we put any non-SLT related experience on the work experience form? Like paid jobs that aren't directly related and if we don't where would you put them - potentially in the part where we have space for 5 elements of prior employment?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 98
I submitted my Reading application earlier today and I'm so scared now!! Hope my referees manage to do my reference in time. Need to crack on with the others now though and stop checking my emails constantly!

If it says in the handbook for City to put GCSEs then I will but I don't remember reading that you need to put them. I put my maths, science and English GCSE results on my Reading application - not really sure if I was meant to or not! If you don't want to list them though then don't, it's your application. They won't care much about them at all compared to your degree result etc.

Good Luck ! and well done for submitting your application. How do you feel now ? Just UCL and City left.
Original post by bec2435
Hello, I'm planning on applying to most of the SLT courses this year - just have a quick question, does anyone know whether for UCL we put any non-SLT related experience on the work experience form? Like paid jobs that aren't directly related and if we don't where would you put them - potentially in the part where we have space for 5 elements of prior employment?

Thank you :smile:

Hi :smile: you could email them to check, but my understanding (and what I am going to do) is put all relevant experience on the extra experience form and put paid jobs in the actual form on the website (not the extra one you upload). It gets a bit tricky because some of my paid work is my relevant experience too but I might just list that on both. I think the extra form you upload is to find out how many directly related days you have done with SLTs or client groups so they will want relevant jobs or volunteering listed not like working in the co-op 5 years ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending