The Student Room Group

Students stage a walkout in protest over consent classes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveleest
I don't see what is wrong with giving a small talk about consent. At my freshers we had small talks about things that "Everyone should know about" yet not one person walked out.
Tbh, I think pople walking out shows that a lot of guys aren't willing to learn- They know what consent is but they don't actually give a ****.

I got the weird tea video for consent. Pretty bizarre but it was good.
Original post by loveleest
I don't see what is wrong with giving a small talk about consent. At my freshers we had small talks about things that "Everyone should know about" yet not one person walked out.
Tbh, I think pople walking out shows that a lot of guys aren't willing to learn- They know what consent is but they don't actually give a ****.

or they do and don't want to be patronized. Rapists will rape regardless.

I mean I drive a car and I also consume alcohol, but I'm not going to attend a drink driving awareness lecture. Same with a drugs lecture, an STD/STI lecture or...a consent lecture. I don't need at university age to sit in to be told what I already know. But obviously if it's entirely voluntary and folks want to go, that's their business.
Wow you're right about it being taught in primary school tho. Secondary school too
I've seen it :tongue:
Original post by Vikingninja
I got the weird tea video for consent. Pretty bizarre but it was good.
Original post by joey11223
or they do and don't want to be patronized. Rapists will rape regardless.

I mean I drive a car and I also consume alcohol, but I'm not going to attend a drink driving awareness lecture. Same with a drugs lecture, an STD/STI lecture or...a consent lecture. I don't need at university age to sit in to be told what I already know. But obviously if it's entirely voluntary and folks want to go, that's their business.

Really dont see how a consent video is patronising but oh ok.
Reply 105

What a joke :lol:

To be fair, its freshers week so they ae probably all still in bed getting over all the boozing and shagging they got up to last night.
Original post by Jammy Duel
I guess all men are rapists to you? Then again, no blame could ever be laid on the victim, victims are blameless and it's always the evil man. Oh yeah, and the testimony of an alleged victim cannot be questioned.

Too much of the attempted prevention is focusing on the offender and not enough on the victim, the fact that only 15% actually bother saying anything is almost certainly the leading cause of figures being higher than they should be, if you get near enough all victims actually speaking up early on suddenly it becomes a hell of a lot harder to get away with it because while you would still need to prove a lack of consent you would at least have proof, or be more likely to have proof, something happened in the first place.

The single most important thing that can be done to prevent serious sexual offenses is to stop pretending that the victim is blameless, stop pretending that the victim could not have done more to try to prevent it, and that the victim could not have done more after the fact.

Original post by AperfectBalance
Totally agree. If I know I am going somewhere dodgy I might consider getting a taxi or making sure my wallet is hidden or put my watch in my pocket.
If I did get mugged sure it is horrible and It would be nice to think that telling people that mugging is wrong will deter people from doing it.
But then you have to say to the person were you making yourself a target?

This is a major reason why consent classes need to be taught at school with sex ed classes; the victim blaming and the misconception that rape often occurs where the victim is "somewhere dodgy". The vast majority of rapes (around 90%) are perpetuated by someone who is known to the victim and stranger rape is very rare. It is common that victims are raped in their own homes or somewhere where they believe themselves to be safe and by someone who they trust (like a spouse or sexual partner). You can see the full details if you download the government stats, and that only cover reported rape (stranger rape is more likely to be reported).
https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/an-overview-of-sexual-offending-in-england-and-wales

FYI yes, the victim is always blameless. Victim blaming is the reason why many rape victims don't report it or take a long time to do so; they feel shame and guilt because they believe that they are partially responsible for what happened. They may believe that they "led" the rapist on or that they were dressed "provocatively" or had too much to drink, therefore it's their fault. Challenging these mindsets and teaching people that what happens to rape and sexual assault victims is not their fault will make it much easier for them to report the crimes.
Original post by WBZ144
This is a major reason why consent classes need to be taught at school with sex ed classes; the victim blaming and the misconception that rape often occurs where the victim is "somewhere dodgy". The vast majority of rapes (around 90%) are perpetuated by someone who is known to the victim and stranger rape is very rare. It is common that victims are raped in their own homes or somewhere where they believe themselves to be safe and by someone who they trust (like a spouse or sexual partner). You can see the full details if you download the government stats, and that only cover reported rape (stranger rape is more likely to be reported).
https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/an-overview-of-sexual-offending-in-england-and-wales

FYI yes, the victim is always blameless. Victim blaming is the reason why many rape victims don't report it or take a long time to do so; they feel shame and guilt because they believe that they are partially responsible for what happened. They may believe that they "led" the rapist on or that they were dressed "provocatively" or had too much to drink, therefore it's their fault. Challenging these mindsets and teaching people that what happens to rape and sexual assault victims is not their fault will make it much easier for them to report the crimes.

And this is the exact reason why feminism is cancer, the need to fall behind shouting "victim blaming" as if it makes them right, and making it a black and white matter. A victim of a crime can only be considered blameless if they could not take any more reasonable precautions, and that includes precautions for other potential victims. Suppose I leave the front door of my house wide open and put a sign outside saying "free stuff here" am I blameless when my house gets robbed? Well, you will first say, "yes" despite the fact that the victim of a crime is apparently always completely blameless, and then you will somehow pretend that there are two tiers of crime and it is irrelevant. So okay, I am somewhat at fault (or not if you want to be consistent) now suppose I and 85% of victims don't report the crime what exactly have I done to help other potential victims?

Simple question: If I keep being told that I have an 85% chance of not even having my crime reported, let alone actually being convicted given so often the reporting is too late to do much, what message does that send? Further, why after being told 100 times not to do something, why would being told a 101st time suddenly get the message through to the people who don't understand it after the first 100?
Original post by yudothis
So how do you explain the rape epidemic at colleges?

People know what consent is they choose to ignore it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does this also count towards men ? They get sexually assaulted too.
Original post by Jammy Duel
And this is the exact reason why feminism is cancer, the need to fall behind shouting "victim blaming" as if it makes them right, and making it a black and white matter. A victim of a crime can only be considered blameless if they could not take any more reasonable precautions, and that includes precautions for other potential victims. Suppose I leave the front door of my house wide open and put a sign outside saying "free stuff here" am I blameless when my house gets robbed? Well, you will first say, "yes" despite the fact that the victim of a crime is apparently always completely blameless, and then you will somehow pretend that there are two tiers of crime and it is irrelevant. So okay, I am somewhat at fault (or not if you want to be consistent) now suppose I and 85% of victims don't report the crime what exactly have I done to help other potential victims?

Simple question: If I keep being told that I have an 85% chance of not even having my crime reported, let alone actually being convicted given so often the reporting is too late to do much, what message does that send? Further, why after being told 100 times not to do something, why would being told a 101st time suddenly get the message through to the people who don't understand it after the first 100?

I don't even know where to begin with this. Here is what I gathered from your analogy:
In the scenario which you described, you suggest that you are partially to blame for being robbed for putting your goods on display, but how exactly does that compare to rape? Are you suggesting that rape victims also put their "goods" (their bodies) on display and are therefore asking for it, in a way?

With mentalities such as these still being around, it's hardly a surprise that so many rape victims don't report their attackers, isn't it? If they are going to be blamed and shamed then how is it hard to understand why they are reluctant to report it? You flat out said the the victim is partly to blame, that is why I called it victim-blaming. All I did was reiterate a point that you already put forth. Of course we want more rape and sexual assault crimes to be reported but mindsets like yours don't help at all.

Quick Reply

Latest