The Student Room Group

Is it normal to have six hours of lectures in one day without breaks?

On Thursdays, I have six hours of lectures without breaks from 9am to 3pm. The only time we're able to get some fresh air, have some food and stretch our legs is during the five minute intermission between lectures. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, however I do wish my lectures were spread out a bit more throughout the week.

Is it normal to have lectures this clustered together?

Do any of you have a timetable similar to mine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jake4198
On Thursdays, I have six hours of lectures without breaks from 9am to 3pm. The only time we're able to get some fresh air, have some food and stretch our legs is during the five minute intermission between lectures. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, however I do wish my lectures were spread out a bit more throughout the week.

During my studies I used to have around 32 hours of lectures a week. Some days I even had 10 hours of lectures. Was really demanding. But long hours per week are quite common in greece, so I cant comment whether it is unusual for english universities

There's no lunch break? That does strike me as pretty weird (and unfair), it's not even possible to concentrate for that long without a proper break...
Original post by Plagioclase
There's no lunch break? That does strike me as pretty weird (and unfair), it's not even possible to concentrate for that long without a proper break...

No there's no break, It's even more weird because it seems it's only maths students who have to put up with it. Everyone else's timetables are quite spread out. I suppose I'll have to put up with it.
No there's no break, It's even more weird because it seems it's only maths students who have to put up with it. Everyone else's timetables are quite spread out. I suppose I'll have to put up with it.

Bizarre... I'm actually quite surprised that this is allowed. Well, good luck!
Bugger that! On a Thursday, we have six hours but an hour in between. One of our lecturers has done some research about breaks during lectures/seminars and he implements it on his lectures. In a one hour lecture, we have a ten minute break, and in seminars a 20 minute break. I don't see how anyone can concentrate for six hours.
Do you not get breaks during lectures? I have lectures 9-6 on Thursdays (it seems like everyone in this thread has horrible Thursdays lol) but there is a university-wide lunch time at 1-2pm and we get 10 minute breaks during 2 hour lectures - just enough time to pop to the loo and grab a coffee.
I'd complain honestly. Six hours of non-stop work seems so inefficient. I sometimes struggle to stay focused on the days my lecturers don't give us a 10-minute break during three hour classes.
Reply 8
On my course we had 8 hours of lectures back to back on one day. The working world will be like this. Better learn how to deal with it now.

Hello :smile:,

It isn't unusual to have timetables such as yours - it just depends on when the tutors are in and when there is space to fit the lectures in so sometimes they do seem clustered. However remember, you are at university - you are allowed to excuse yourself as long as you don't disturb anyone when you leave. If you want to go grab a drink or go to the toilet or stretch your legs during a lecture, just stand up quietly and leave quietly and enter the same way. They see you as young adults and you can look after yourself - again, as long as you aren't disturbing anyone but yeah, it isn't unusual for this kind of timetable!

Good luck! :biggrin:
wuss i had 11 hours 1 hour break for lunch but still
No, that sounds like hell.
Reply 12
Original post by Klix88
On my course we had 8 hours of lectures back to back on one day. The working world will be like this. Better learn how to deal with it now.

In the working world you get lunch breaks. And even if many choose to take the "break" at their desk they will still at least have some downtime to eat a sandwich or whatever.
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
No, that sounds like hell.

Yeah it was a bit hard 9am - 7pm on Monday and again the next day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get over yourselves: working life once you've graduated will be much more arduous, at a minimum of 9am-5pm five days per week, and without 3-4 months of holidays.
I don't know how you're expected to concentrate at full capacity for 6 hours - particularly at something like mathematics!
What subject? I have at most 4 hours a day.

I know medicine and engineering students have a lot of contact hours from what I've heard.
every friday i have 8 hours (from 9am to 5:30pm with only a 30-minute lunch break)
Original post by DrSocSciences
Get over yourselves: working life once you've graduated will be much more arduous, at a minimum of 9am-5pm five days per week, and without 3-4 months of holidays.

With a lunch break, usually compulsory.
Original post by Klix88

Umm no it won't. Legally, if the work is 6 hours long or more the employer must give a minimum of 20 minutes as a break. Stop pedalling false information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending