The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SunnysideSea
I'm aiming for the skies lol. Well it's a choice between applying for straight Philosophy at Cambridge or Philosophy and Theology at Oxford. I like the idea of each tbh, which would you go for? I don't want to go for LSE cos I've grown up in London so I'm kinda desperate to go somewhere else. So the other ones I'm looking at are Durham, St Andrews (why do their courses have to be 4 years long?!), Exeter and maybe Newcastle or Manchester?

What areas of Philosophy do you like?

Religion(because I learnt this at school) but I haven't learnt the other areas so I should definitely look that out. Wbu, what areas do you like in Philosophy.

Loooool, I get what you mean like I want to stay in London but want to experience other parts of the UK. Trust, most people in my year want to apply in London because they don't want to go to a uni outside London.

Omg, my older sister goes Exeter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not diverse, trust me, I'm literally told everyone who told me who wants to apply there. My sister was like all the Orientials hang out with each other and all the Whites hang out with each other which leaves these random people not part of the category hanging out with each other because they get rejected(I guess it's the same with all unis, it's the same with my other sister who started Birmingham Uni this year).

Yeah, I want to go St Andrews but like i don't want to apply this year so I'm like revising atm(kind of). When do you have to send your personal statement of? Everyone in my year(except those who want to do medicine applied ages ago) has to sent their PS next week.
Original post by Defraction
Religion(because I learnt this at school) but I haven't learnt the other areas so I should definitely look that out. Wbu, what areas do you like in Philosophy.

Loooool, I get what you mean like I want to stay in London but want to experience other parts of the UK. Trust, most people in my year want to apply in London because they don't want to go to a uni outside London.

Omg, my older sister goes Exeter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not diverse, trust me, I'm literally told everyone who told me who wants to apply there. My sister was like all the Orientials hang out with each other and all the Whites hang out with each other which leaves these random people not part of the category hanging out with each other because they get rejected(I guess it's the same with all unis, it's the same with my other sister who started Birmingham Uni this year).

Yeah, I want to go St Andrews but like i don't want to apply this year so I'm like revising atm(kind of). When do you have to send your personal statement of? Everyone in my year(except those who want to do medicine applied ages ago) has to sent their PS next week.

Yh the deadline's coming up. Philosophy of religion may be my favourite too actually (why I like theology). There are probably 8 main areas of Philosophy (with plenty of overlap): philosophy of religion, philosophy of science, political philosophy, metaphysics, epistemology, philosophy of mind, aesthetics and moral philosophy. So much to be explored!

If you want to get into other areas of philosophy you could try starting with a general introduction (to get to know some of the terms used and that) followed by something like Bertrand Russell's 'Problems of Philosophy'. This was a good choice for me cos it's an original text by probably the 20th century's best philosopher (so makes you feel real brainy) but is still (mainly) very readable. Sometimes he slightly goes off on one, or just repeats himself (end of chapter 3, for example), but it's all very interesting.The cool thing about philosophy is it's so broad - if you don't like reading something in epistemology, say, move on to some political philosophy instead.
Reply 22
Original post by Maker
I am sure they all do well to prepare its graduates for a life of fast food service.

But at least we'll be able to quote Rousseau when handing over the fries
Reply 23
Not a humanity person, but have to say Philosophy, by far the most interesting and asks deep and meaningful questions (not to say the others don't). They are all obviously really good subjects, but Philosophy is one of those subjects you just sort of like...
Original post by SunnysideSea
Yh the deadline's coming up. Philosophy of religion may be my favourite too actually (why I like theology). There are probably 8 main areas of Philosophy (with plenty of overlap): philosophy of religion, philosophy of science, political philosophy, metaphysics, epistemology, philosophy of mind, aesthetics and moral philosophy. So much to be explored!

If you want to get into other areas of philosophy you could try starting with a general introduction (to get to know some of the terms used and that) followed by something like Bertrand Russell's 'Problems of Philosophy'. This was a good choice for me cos it's an original text by probably the 20th century's best philosopher (so makes you feel real brainy) but is still (mainly) very readable. Sometimes he slightly goes off on one, or just repeats himself (end of chapter 3, for example), but it's all very interesting.The cool thing about philosophy is it's so broad - if you don't like reading something in epistemology, say, move on to some political philosophy instead.

I absolutely agree with you. I'm actually glad I found at least 1 person who wants to do Philosophy and likes Theology as well. My careers advisor told me I should read the book and I suggest you read it too.

It's called "Sophie's world" by Jostein Gaarder(it's Norwegian but I'm sure there are English versions) which is based on the History of Philosophy which he suggested would be a great book for me to read before studying Philsophy and it gives you a better insight of everything about Phiosophy(I think I need to read this book more than you. hahaha)

Good luck and I hope you get accepted to all your chosen unis. Hopefully, we will apply to the same one and I hope to see you there!
Reply 25
Original post by Glib
Not a humanity person, but have to say Philosophy, by far the most interesting and asks deep and meaningful questions (not to say the others don't). They are all obviously really good subjects, but Philosophy is one of those subjects you just sort of like...

Who would you rather date, a philosopher, an english student, a historian or a theologian?:tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by blobbob
Who woul you rather date, a philosopher, an english student, a historian or a theologian?:tongue:

Philosopher, so we can discuss our existence
Reply 27
Original post by Glib
Philosopher, so we can discuss our existence

I'm totally gonna make a thread out of this:biggrin:
Original post by Maker
I am sure they all do well to prepare its graduates for a life of fast food service.

This is no bad thing, chicken is life
Duh.. With the ability to be able to read (a lot), write, analyse and think critically, then you can find the chain links of all the religion and sort of add the meaningful ones and find a way which just can't be axplained.

'What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world, but suffers the loss of his own soul?'
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by blobbob
Who would you rather date, a philosopher, an english student, a historian or a theologian?:tongue:

Urm probably philosopher, then theologian, then historian (bit dull, probably start talking about trains), then an english student (probably have an existential crisis half way through)
Original post by JRKinder
Religion is just a human fabrication and an outdated institution that quite frankly needs to die. Regardless of this, the content learned about in theology isn't useful for any notable job aside from religon-specific ones. The skills gained in writing ability etc can be developed in other subjects (like the other three identified in this topic), so there will always be a more useful degree to do. Studying religon is not useful. Aspects of it may be somewhat interesting, but even then this is just opinion. If you can provide evidence that a large number of atheists choose to study theology then I'd love to see it.

Hi,
So I am a die hard Athiest and I am applying to study Theology at University. What drives people's faith, and ultimately has sculpted the world we currently live in is not a joke subject. Just because I believe God doesn't exist doesn't mean I cannot appreciate religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Philosophy is greatest in Human I.Q at its apex but Theology is simple enough and mysterious, it involve faith to confirm a "yes" to it.
Philosophy is subordinate to Theology . Theology is mysterious enough to be fathomed by a mere human conscience
and Philosophy is risky to Theology( unequal parties, God and human) and can easily change the Theology to a mere "theology"(small theology full of syncretism), pay attention here there is difference. No man has culminated Theology and it has not happened and it may never happen unless one becomes part of the Divine but we can reach at the apex of human philosophicals and conclude what our mere conscience has reached but not our faith.

simply
Philosophy is to a Human apex of his conscience
Theology is to faith, Divinity and Mystery.
Um, Classics? It was the original humanites subject, and it includes religion, history, philosophy and literature, but it's also difficult because you need to study two ancient languages: the only subject where studying two languages doesn't get you a joint honours degree.
Well, someone didn't read much philosophy.

Latest