The Student Room Group

What happened on this day in History?

Scroll to see replies

Using the BBC News on this day website today:

1993: Two boys charged with toddler's murder: Two 10-year-old boys have been charged with the abduction and murder of two-year-old James Bulger in Liverpool.

1962: US spaceman orbits Earth: The first American to orbit the Earth has landed safely in the Atlantic Ocean.

Original post by Tiger Rag
Missed that post above. Indeed it was that one!

Awesome :h:

Original post by ageshallnot
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday can be navigated by themes such as those as well as by date. It's written in a news style, i.e. as if the events had just happened, but the 'In Context' sidebar explains further developments, relevance etc.

Ooh I like things being written like that so you feel like you're back in that day - I'll have a look now I'm on my laptop! My dad got a newspaper on the day I was born so I have that from clearly the most important day in History to look back on :wink:
Original post by BurstingBubbles

Ooh I like things being written like that so you feel like you're back in that day - I'll have a look now I'm on my laptop! My dad got a newspaper on the day I was born so I have that from clearly the most important day in History to look back on :wink:

Yep, that was the idea.
1847 - Charlotte Bronte's novel Jane Eyre is published in London.

Have read an excerpt about it. Anyone who has read the book through? is it recommendable to read?

1966 - Hanoi insists the United States must end its bombings before peace talks can begin.

It seems that the United States have not stopped it, as the Vietnam war went on till 1975. The protestating and demonstrating people in and out of America were the only one what was good during this war (make love, not war!)*
1913: Ford Motor Company institutes world's first moving assembly line for the Model T Ford
1949: East Germany: the German Democratic Republic, is formed.

1996: Fox News Channel begins broadcasting.

2001: U.S.-led attack on Afghanistan begins - on this day in 2001, a U.S.-led coalition begins attacks on Taliban-controlled Afghanistan with an intense bombing campaign by American and British forces.
7th October 1970: Nixon announces a new peace proposal - On this day, Nixon makes a televised speech announcing a 5-point proposal to end the Vietnam war, based on a “standstill” cease-fire in place in South Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. He proposed eventual withdrawal of U.S. forces, unconditional release of prisoners of war, and political solutions reflecting the will of the South Vietnamese people. Nixon said that the Communist proposals for the ouster of Nguyen Van Thieu, Nguyen Cao Ky, and Tran Thiem Van Thieu were “totally unacceptable” and rejected them. These proposals were well received at home, but were rejected by the Communists a few days later

7th October 1949: East Germany is created - Less than five months after Great Britain, the United States, and France established the Federal Republic of Germany in West Germany, the Democratic Republic of Germany is proclaimed within the Soviet occupation zone. Approximately half the size of West Germany, East Germany consisted of the German states of Mecklenburg, Brandenburg, Lusatia, Saxony, and Thuringia. Berlin, the former German capital, remained divided between West and East German authorities, even though it was situated deep within the communist Democratic Republic of Germany. East Germany ceased to exist in 1990.
8th October 1970: Matt Damon is born :love:

8th October 1967: Che Guevara is captured in Bolivia

8th October 1922: Lilian Gatlin becomes the first female pilot to fly across the United States
Original post by chelseadagg3r
(...) 8th October 1922: Lilian Gatlin becomes the first female pilot to fly across the United States

That happened very fast, if we consider that planes were so rarely used at that time. No wonder, the pioneers of flying, the wright Brothers, were working on this at the beginning of the 20th century.*
October 9th 1974: Oskar Schindler dies - Schindler is credited with saving the lives of 1,200 Jews during the Holocaust

October 9th 1799: HMS Lutine sinks - 240 men are lost.

October 9th 1962: Uganda proclaims independence from Britain
(edited 7 years ago)
October 9th 1974: Oskar Schlinder dies - Schindler is credited with saving the lives of 1,200 Jews during the Holocaust (...)

Rest in piece! you was a very brave man at your time. To risk your own life and being responsible for people who were persecuted and treated as very bad criminals in whole Europe is truly the action of a hero.

And 1,200 Jews who were saved from Holoaust is a great number of rescued human lives. * *
1911 - The Panama Canal opens.

Over one hundred years yet? really? have never thought it dated from so long. Without a doubt, the Panama canal is one of the most important waterways. A great shortcut to come from Pacific to Atlantic and vice versa.
October 10th 1944: 800 children killed at Auschwitz by gas

October 10th 1903: Emmeline Pankhurst formed the Women's Social and Political Union to fight for women's emancipation in Britain
(...)

October 10th 1903: Emmeline Pankhurst formed the Women's Social and Political Union to fight for women's emancipation in Britain

In a time where the British empire was at the climax of power. This thought fascinates me.
Just seen on the news that it's 950 years since the Battle of Hastings in 1066! :fight:

Posted from TSR Mobile
1941 - october the 15th

In the General Government a death penalty was introduced, for the Jews who leave their districts and for Poles who provide aid to Jewish people.
15th October

1938: German troops occupied the Sudetenland

1961: Amnesty International was established in London

1888: A 'From Hell' letter was sent to George Lusk, then head of the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee, claiming to be from the serial killer Jack the Ripper. It was delivered with a small box containing half of what doctors later determined was a human kidney, preserved in ethanol. One of his victim's kidneys had been removed by the killer, which gave the letter some authenticity. The letter ended with the words - 'Catch me when you can Mister Lusk.', but the Ripper was never caught.

1997: Thrust SSC becomes the first land vehicle to exceed the speed of sound - following a new land speed record by Andy Green in Thrust SSC the previous month, Thrust SSC became the first land vehicle to exceed the speed of sound when it achieved 763 mph (Mach 1.020) at Black Rock Desert, Nevada. The record still stands.
15th October (...)
1961: Amnesty International was established in London (...)

Gosh, I have really missed an important anniversary of a foundation. Better I am looking for this day.
23rd October

1983: U.S. Marine barracks hit by car bomb in Beirut killing 237 marines, and injuring 80

1864: Battle of Westport, Missouri

4004 BC: According to James Ussher, Archbishop of Armagh, and Dr. John Lightfoot of Cambridge, the world was created on this day (a Sunday) at 9am

1707: The first parliament of Great Britain meets

2002: The world's oldest teletext service, Ceefax, ceases operation
October 23rd 1956. Hungarian revolt agains communist government started.
24th October

1945: United Nations Organisation is born - Allies of WWII ratify the UN Charter at a ceremony in Washington DC. The aim was to 'save succeeding generations from the scourge of war'

1908: Emmeline Pankhurst and her daughter Christabel were sent to prison - The reason cited was 'inciting the public to rush the House of Commons'. Two Cabinet ministers were witnesses for the defence including Lloyd-George, then Chancellor of the Exchequer.

1951: President Truman officially declares the war with Germany over
(...)

1951: President Truman officially declares the war with Germany over

The same president who has declared the Truman-doctrine? A doctrine what led to the support of (West) Germany against the extension of Sowjetunion's ideology and the begin of cold war between the super powers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending