The Student Room Group

Applying at only one university

Hi,

I am a German student and found THE perfect course at UCL, but this specific course is offered pretty much nowhere else...

Is it a good idea to write the cover letter specifically for this very course, or is this a bad idea?
Original post by oinkoinki
Hi,

I am a German student and found THE perfect course at UCL, but this specific course is offered pretty much nowhere else...

Is it a good idea to write the cover letter specifically for this very course, or is this a bad idea?

If you are only applying to one course (assuming we're talking about undergraduate admissions here) then you can write your personal statement specifically targeting that course but if you're applying for others, don't. And applying for only one course is not a very good idea because you're obviously significantly increasing the risk that you're not going to get an offer.
Reply 2
Original post by Plagioclase
If you are only applying to one course (assuming we're talking about undergraduate admissions here) then you can write your personal statement specifically targeting that course but if you're applying for others, don't. And applying for only one course is not a very good idea because you're obviously significantly increasing the risk that you're not going to get an offer.

Yes I am actually planning to apply one for one specific course. So I was just wondering if there is any benefit in targeting a certain university+course
Reply 3
Yes I am actually planning to apply one for one specific course. So I was just wondering if there is any benefit in targeting a certain university+course

Make sure you've read advice on what to include in a personal statement. You've referred to it as a "cover letter" but there are differences.

You can target one uni, but don't name the uni in your personal statement. Many applicants change their minds after applying. You can add other choices later, but if you've named the uni then other choices would see that.
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
Make sure you've read advice on what to include in a personal statement. You've referred to it as a "cover letter" but there are differences.

You can target one uni, but don't name the uni in your personal statement. Many applicants change their minds after applying. You can add other choices later, but if you've named the uni then other choices would see that.

But no other university offers "Arts and Sciences"... Although on their page it says "We recognise you may not be able to write a personal statement which reflects your interest in this programme and your other UCAS choices. This will not adversely affect your application. "
,but this is actually the only UK course I´m truly interested in.
But no other university offers "Arts and Sciences"... Although on their page it says "We recognise you may not be able to write a personal statement which reflects your interest in this programme and your other UCAS choices. This will not adversely affect your application. "
,but this is actually the only UK course I´m truly interested in.

There are other such courses...

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/liberal-arts/liberal-arts-and-sciences.aspx

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/liberal-arts-and-sciences

Also look at various combined honours courses, some of which allow you to mix arts and science subjects...

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/flexible/exeter/#Overview
Reply 6

Wow thanks!! Somehow I messed up with the UCAS finder
Reply 7
Original post by ageshallnot
There are other such courses...

PRSOM (again)
Wow thanks!! Somehow I messed up with the UCAS finder

You're welcome. I studied history at university many years ago, but if I were applying now it would be to this type of course.

Original post by jneill
PRSOM (again)

Thank you, kind sir!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending