The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by traineewannabe
Well done! When did you apply?

Thank you :smile:

Sent my app on the 23rd of Sep (and received the reference email on the 2nd of Oct).
Original post by grisham
Anyone applied to Slaughter's winter workshop?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I applied to this a couple of days ago
Reply 222
Original post by pumpkin717
Yes, I applied to this a couple of days ago

You heard back?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by grisham
You heard back?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No but from what I've read in previous posts I think it can take a while
I managed to get a vacation scheme in the summer but unfortunately didn't get offered a training contract. This is now my third time applying and I'm feeling really disheartened and losing hope very quickly. Is there anyone that can lend some advice who was in the same position? Trying to keep my head up but tbh it's making me pretty unhappy.
Original post by alexbev
Hey congrats on your interview! I got an email about an interview yesterday too!! 😊

I did manage to book a slot but there were only 3 left I think, so they may have been taken. I don't know how the system works but maybe they will add some more slots of these have been filled? Or, as you mentioned, it may be worth giving grad recruitment a ring. *

Hey was this a vacation scheme for winter or summer? Also when did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have all of you already started applying for summer vacation schemes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys.

Just wondering what the word limit is for the white & case vac scheme form- can't see any word limits for the questions! Thanks
Original post by SarahUniversity
I managed to get a vacation scheme in the summer but unfortunately didn't get offered a training contract. This is now my third time applying and I'm feeling really disheartened and losing hope very quickly. Is there anyone that can lend some advice who was in the same position? Trying to keep my head up but tbh it's making me pretty unhappy.

I'm in a similar position, got a vac scheme this easter but wasn't offered a TC, lost count of what year of applications I'm on - 4 years I think. We will get there! I feel like I've gotten closer each year so who knows, hopefully this year will be our year!
If a firm has a late Jan/early Feb deadline and I'll be getting my January exam grades before these deadlines, should I wait until I get my grades to apply or should I apply earlier? I know some firms prefer earlier applicants, but due to my module choices I'm confident that my grades in January will be better than my previous grades, making my overall application more impressive.
Original post by J-SP
What are your previous grades like?

Mostly 2:1s, except a 47 in Land Law (which is just tragic) brings my average down to 58/59%. That's the main reason I want to wait until after January as I feel confident it will bring me up to a 2:1 overall.
Original post by J-SP
I think if the firm states they don't do rolling recruitment then apply once you have your results. But if they do state rolling recruitment, it's probably worthwhile applying earlier unless any of the firms are known to be more academically focused.

Alright, I'll have a look at what each firm says. Thanks!
Anyone had video interview with White & Case?
Reply 233
First Vac scheme of the season done, that's CMS out of the way.
Reply 234
Anyone know who I should address my cover letter for Squires to?

Both LawCareers and Chambers Student have some variation of 'Graduate Recruitment Team', but starting it with 'Dear Graduate Recruitment Team' seems a bit odd, and 'Dear Sir/Madam' is too formal I think.
Had my interview for Jones Day today. They said it was going to be conversational and casual as some users suggested on here, but it was the opposite. Focused almost entirely on commercial awareness and issues and asked nothing at all of my personality etc.

Not complaining or anything as it is to be expected, just warning those who have interviews coming up that it is not as casual as we would perhaps like.
Do any firms do summer vacation schemes in August, or is it practically unheard of?
also , is anyone having issues with the BLP online form? I can't get past the page that asks me what I'm applying for - it just reloads and turns all of the font an angry red colour
Reply 238
I'm applying for Squire Patton and upon the cv upload section it states

'Please make sure you include details of your academic history to date, including a breakdown of your grades.'

Does this mean I have to breakdown my grades at uni? Include every single module? I'm afraid it'll take up alot of room...
Original post by CH1234
I'm applying for Squire Patton and upon the cv upload section it states

'Please make sure you include details of your academic history to date, including a breakdown of your grades.'

Does this mean I have to breakdown my grades at uni? Include every single module? I'm afraid it'll take up alot of room...

yeah unfortunately - it's a bit ridiculous they don't just let you put it as part of the form :') it can also help to give an average of your marks every year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending