The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chloe0804
A bit late but oh well 😂 Only just stumbled upon this thread..

I'm in year 11 too. Being bombarded by coursework and homework. And then trying to think about my a levels.

What are you considering taking? I'm considering Biology, chemistry (I know I need these for vet uni) and either History, physics, English (haven't decided literature or language yet:tongue:). OR I was going to take BTEC Level 3 animal management. But I have heard that really universities only like A levels.

Just wanted to say that I've just started doing a BTEC Level 3 Animal Management Course so I can get into Veterinary Medicine at Uni hopefully. So you don't need A-Levels. Personally, A-Levels would be hell for me, sitting for more hours in a classroom, learning about things I won't ever need. I absolutely love my course, I get to be with animals pretty much all the time and it prepares me for work too. Good luck with your GCSE's and hope you make the right choice post-year 11.
Original post by nerfertari_
Just wanted to say that I've just started doing a BTEC Level 3 Animal Management Course so I can get into Veterinary Medicine at Uni hopefully. So you don't need A-Levels. Personally, A-Levels would be hell for me, sitting for more hours in a classroom, learning about things I won't ever need. I absolutely love my course, I get to be with animals pretty much all the time and it prepares me for work too. Good luck with your GCSE's and hope you make the right choice post-year 11.

Thank you for letting me know. Otherwise I would have been stuck in a boring class room like you said! I'm actually thankful that we are able to get a bit of hands on experience with more animals before we actually go to uni. Because then it means if we actually decide it's not for us ( hopefully not!) atleast we have experience with animals, rather than knowing what the angle outside a triangle is.
Original post by Lizziefickling
Not required with 3 A levels. A DDD in a BTEC is the equivalent to 3 A's at A level but some require an AS in chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you 👍
Original post by buzzyambee
Ikr ughghg
The job at the livery yard will look good! I've been finding it hard to find placements too... I've just been asking around and just persevering. Then again, it's early days so we cant get too worked up about it :smile:
So far I've done 1 week SA and have 3 weeks SA vets, 2 weeks at an animal sanctuary and 1 week at a stables booked. So excited!

Wow! You have quite a lot lined up already! Yeah it's early days :smile:

Hopefully though, for us doing it early we will beat the 'get work experience rush' 😂😂
Wow! You have quite a lot lined up already! Yeah it's early days :smile:

Hopefully though, for us doing it early we will beat the 'get work experience rush' 😂😂

Thanks. And yes, I don't want it to be the summer of year 12 and I've got nothing! I was even thinking of taking a year out after sixth form to get more WEX so there's less pressure now...
Reply 25
Has anyone thought about what universities they want to go to yet
Original post by Tta235
Has anyone thought about what universities they want to go to yet

I've had a look at them and tbh they all look pretty good XD
So far the ones that appeal to me the most are Bristol, RVC, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Liverpool
Reply 27
I've had a look at them and tbh they all look pretty good XD
So far the ones that appeal to me the most are Bristol, RVC, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Liverpool

I was thinking Bristol or surrey but surrey is a new course so not too sure about it
Original post by Tta235
I was thinking Bristol or surrey but surrey is a new course so not too sure about it

Yeah, I'm not too sure about it. It's early days though - we have 2 years to think about it :smile:
Hey, I'm in year 11 & i'm also really wanting to study veterinary medicine. I'm going to study biology, chemistry & PE for A levels I think. I'm really worried about my GCSE's though. It's already stressful just preparing for mocks. I've done work experience at a Equine vet practise and I'm doing one day a week at a small animal practise. I love it! I'm thinking of Surrey, RVC & Liverpool!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucyliulu
Hey, I'm in year 11 & i'm also really wanting to study veterinary medicine. I'm going to study biology, chemistry & PE for A levels I think. I'm really worried about my GCSE's though. It's already stressful just preparing for mocks. I've done work experience at a Equine vet practise and I'm doing one day a week at a small animal practise. I love it! I'm thinking of Surrey, RVC & Liverpool!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, welcome to the thread :smile: I'm quite stressed too, there's so much pressure!
Hey everyone, I'm a fourth year at Cambridge, so if you have any questions about the course/cambridge life/work experience etc send them my way - all I'll say for now is that I love it and you should definitely all consider applying :smile:

Good luck with GCSEs, I remember the madness of doing so many subjects at once! Keep at it and try not to let the stress get too on top of you, especially at this point, remember mocks are exactly that, use them as something to learn from as much as test your knowledge...and if in doubt just remember that Christmas isn't too far away now!
As above, I'm a third year at Liverpool and happy to answer any questions about the course/life in liverpool etc. Just drop me a pm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello everyone!

I'm currently in Year 12 and hoping to apply for vet school in 2018. I am taking Biology, Chemistry and History at a Level and I'm also looking into doing an EPQ. I know I haven't been doing A Levels very long, but feel free to drop me any questions about A Levels and over the next 18 months on the process of applying etc and I'd be happy to help!

Good luck this year on your GCSE's! I found them incredibly stressful, and I know this year they have made them even harder for you guys, but just have faith in yourself that you can do it. Make sure to keep yourself motivated! (I watched The Supervet ((omg fave)) each week throughout the exam period and it helped so much to keep the dream alive).

Kate :smile:
Hi :smile: I'm a current fifth year at Cambridge, and would love to help if anybody has any questions, about gearing up to applying, the application process and Cambridge in particular. Don't forget that you get four uni choices for VetMed on UCAS, and I can highly recommend putting Cambridge as one of them! Hope everyone is finding time to look forward to Christmas and not feeling altogether too put upon by mocks (which really are there to help, not hinder you... promise). :smile:
Original post by katerebecca
Hello everyone!

I'm currently in Year 12 and hoping to apply for vet school in 2018. I am taking Biology, Chemistry and History at a Level and I'm also looking into doing an EPQ. I know I haven't been doing A Levels very long, but feel free to drop me any questions about A Levels and over the next 18 months on the process of applying etc and I'd be happy to help!

Good luck this year on your GCSE's! I found them incredibly stressful, and I know this year they have made them even harder for you guys, but just have faith in yourself that you can do it. Make sure to keep yourself motivated! (I watched The Supervet ((omg fave)) each week throughout the exam period and it helped so much to keep the dream alive).

Hi Kate! Welcome to the thread :smile:
I'll be doing my sixth form application very soon so that would be very helpful, thanks! What exam board are you for biology and chemistry?
Yass's supervet!! I found an older series called 'The Bionic Vet' with Noel Fitzpatrick on netflix which I'm slightly addicted to :P
Hi Kate! Welcome to the thread :smile:
I'll be doing my sixth form application very soon so that would be very helpful, thanks! What exam board are you for biology and chemistry?
Yass's supervet!! I found an older series called 'The Bionic Vet' with Noel Fitzpatrick on netflix which I'm slightly addicted to :P

Hi! Feel free to drop me a message any time about application/gcse's! Our exam board is AQA :smile:

Noel Fitzpatrick is my hero honestly haha, what a legend! :biggrin: Surrey is one of my ideas for uni (along with Edinburgh and Nottingham) and Noel is a professor there (mainly wanting to go to the open day just in the hopes of meeting him haha)
Hi! Feel free to drop me a message any time about application/gcse's! Our exam board is AQA :smile:

Noel Fitzpatrick is my hero honestly haha, what a legend! :biggrin: Surrey is one of my ideas for uni (along with Edinburgh and Nottingham) and Noel is a professor there (mainly wanting to go to the open day just in the hopes of meeting him haha)

Thanks :smile: I think my sixth form has AQA for bio and OCR for chem
Ikr!! Good idea :3
Hello everyone!

Hi Kate! omg I love the supervet, like you said he is a real inspiration.

I have now narrowed it down to a-level Chemistry, biology (which I know are definite), History and English Lit. I'm stronger in English lit than I am in history at the moment so I'm more swayed towards it. Although, we will see on results day!

In terms of work how are you finding Biology, chemistry and history all together? In sixthform evenings I have been told that chemistry is very tricky and so is biology because its not so much memorising any more but learning. But how do you feel about it?
Hi Kate! omg I love the supervet, like you said he is a real inspiration.

I have now narrowed it down to a-level Chemistry, biology (which I know are definite), History and English Lit. I'm stronger in English lit than I am in history at the moment so I'm more swayed towards it. Although, we will see on results day!

In terms of work how are you finding Biology, chemistry and history all together? In sixthform evenings I have been told that chemistry is very tricky and so is biology because its not so much memorising any more but learning. But how do you feel about it?

Being honest, I have found it really difficult. I don't want to worry or anything, I mean every single person will feel different about it. Also, I've only been doing it 5/6 weeks so I'm trying to just take it with a pinch of salt :colondollar:

Chemistry is what I'm finding most difficult. I underestimated how mathematical it was (which is definitely not my strong suit ☹️). Although one of my chem teachers tried to reassure me that everyone finds it really difficult at the start, usually it takes about a year before things start to click. It's just about perservering and making sure you get the support you need.

Biology is quite full on but thus far I'm enjoying it. There is A LOT of information, which is incredibly in depth as you look at biology at an inter-cellular level. It's quite mind blowing really :biggrin:. In a way, there is still a lot of memorisation, but the big difference at A Level is application of it. You really have to make sure you understand just what you're learning. Ive also noticed how linked together everything is. There'll be a question where it'll bring together knowledge from different parts of the course, yet they'll link together so you have to make sure you have a broad understanding of the course. The style of questions are a whole lot different to GCSE but that's just something we have to get used to throughout the year, through practise. Not many people are able to get it first time and that's OK.

History will probably depend on what modules you do. I am doing about The Tudors 1485-1803 and Revolution and Dictatorship of Russia 1917-1953. The workload for History so far has been massive. I have always loved history though, and even now with the workload I still find it really interesting. There's a lot to remember at A Level, but I definitely think it is one of the most interesting courses you could choose. It's just about making sure you understand the order of events (I'm particularly finding difficult remembering who everyone is, when they became important and where they stood either politically or on a personal level to the main leaders). I've been told by my teacher that A Level answers are ALL analysis. You're less likely to get marks if you just tell the story of what happened like you do at GCSE. It's all about the PEA (or PEE however they teach it 😅).

I'm sorry this has been so long winded haha.
I hope GCSEs are going well thus far! I used mygcsescience videos and found them a lifesaver! But like I've said to many others, the best resource you have are your teachers, so make use of them! I hope this has helped you a bit, but like I say everyone has a different experience :smile:

- Kate

Latest

Trending

Trending