The Student Room Group

University won't stamp my 16+ card even though I'm eligible?

I'm 19 but I'm still eligible to get a 16+ card because I'm at university and I'm 18 before the 31st August 2016.
My university won't stamp my 16+ approval letter even though I'm 100% eligible.
Is this wrong?
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Bloom77
I'm 19 but I'm still eligible to get a 16+ card because I'm at university and I'm 18 before the 31st August 2016.
Is this wrong?
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ask your Student Union for help. They will know how the system works at your uni.
16+ card applies to Level 3 education only if you are talking about Oyster cards.
Original post by Bloom77
Is this wrong?
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Magratgarlick is correct. level 3 or below at school or college of further education.
Original post by 999tigger
Magratgarlick is correct. level 3 or below at school or college of further education.

But on the website it says if you're 18 before 31st August 2016 or if you're 19 in you're first year of university, you may still be eligible to apply for 16+ oyster.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
But on the website it says if you're 18 before 31st August 2016 or if you're 19 in you're first year of university, you may still be eligible to apply for 16+ oyster.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Link it and identify wher or paste it.
There seem to be a number of Oyster cards. I was looking at the one for free tavel
16+Oyster.PNG

Your best bet is to contact TFL and get confirmation from them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Go on TFL's website and you'll get details of the right card for you. Print the relevant info off & take it to your uni. It maybe that the 16-19 card is only for level 2/3 students and for uni, you need a different one. Your SU might know which one you need.

Posted from TSR Mobile
These are the cards

https://photocard.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/terms.do

You never confirmed it, but your you should have asked why your uni refused. its probably because they dont stamp for 16+, but will for 18+

Youcouldnt be bothered to post the link so i could check the part you were talking about , whcih leaves me putting more effort in than you at trying to find you an answer, whcih doesnt really fly. You can ofc contact TFL and get them to clarify.
Link it and identify wher or paste it.
There seem to be a number of Oyster cards. I was looking at the one for free tavel
16+Oyster.PNG

Your best bet is to contact TFL and get confirmation from them.

No need for confirmation of anything other than difficulty in reading to understand by both the OP and yourself

If someone is a student at a HEI they are NOT undertaking a course of study at NQF3 or lower ...
Original post by zippyRN
No need for confirmation of anything other than difficulty in reading to understand by both the OP and yourself

If someone is a student at a HEI they are NOT undertaking a course of study at NQF3 or lower ...

Hilarious. This has already been pointed out (3,4,6 and 7), thats why I cut and pasted it. You havent helped at all, Flash.

The OP seems to think he has seen somewhere where it includes university, hence I asked them to provide the link, so I could check.

There are a number of Oyster cards, so I gave the OP the opportunity to provide the link to the set of T's and C's he thought were applicable. Its not impossible that sometimes sites contradict themselves and I was giving him the opportunity to show if that was the case. As it is he is entitled to a card, just not that one imo.

Do one.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think OP has misinterpreted the rules for the 16+ card and thinks it can be used in first year uni. My interpretation is that someone who was 18 before 31/08/2016 can have it if for some reason they are doing level 3 course. If I've interpreted the rules correctly, OP needs the 18+ card.
Original post by zippyRN

FWIW it *is* possible to study a level 3 qualification at some universities. Art Foundation Diploma's and some foundation years (especially international foundation) are classed as FE or Level 3 courses.

It's usually obvious that that is the case though (UK/EU students on those courses aren't eligible for a maintenance loan and either don't pay fees or use an access to learning loan to pay them)
Original post by Cate1976
I think OP has misinterpreted the rules for the 16+ card and thinks it can be used in first year uni. My interpretation is that someone who was 18 before 31/08/2016 can have it if for some reason they are doing level 3 course. If I've interpreted the rules correctly, OP needs the 18+ card.

allows for 'third year sixth' etc , not he extension of scholar facilities and discounts to HE students
Original post by Cate1976

Correct on the OP's misinterpretation- he fails to provide any evidence.
Incorrect on your interpretation- It doesnt apply to unis.
Correct on the 18+ being more appropriate.
I prefer the OP to make some effort (look something up or answer simple questions), which he cant be bothered to do even though ive given him the terms.

Lo@Zippy
Correct on the OP's misinterpretation- he fails to provide any evidence.
Incorrect on your interpretation- It doesnt apply to unis.
Correct on the 18+ being more appropriate.
I prefer the OP to make some effort (look something up or answer simple questions), which he cant be bothered to do even though ive given him the terms.

Lo@Zippy

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1476107224.974665.jpg

My friends at another university (first year and not doing a foundation year or anything like that) got it stamped by their university....
It did say I am allowed to apply and I was able to create a 16+ account with tfl...
It's just my university that isn't cooperating
Never mind....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1476107224.974665.jpg

My friends at another university (first year and not doing a foundation year or anything like that) got it stamped by their university....
It did say I am allowed to apply and I was able to create a 16+ account with tfl...
It's just my university that isn't cooperating
Never mind....

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Did you bother to ask your uni why they wouldnt stamp it?
2. It looks like they wrongly stamped your friends letter.
3. You can only have a 16+ card according to the rules if you are in FE and not HE. Ive given you the rules to the actual T's and C's.
4. You havent provided sufficient information to contradict the official T's and C's.
5. Nope I dont think its the fault of your university, its your issue. You cna ofc confirm this with TFL by giving them a call.

You dont appear to have challenged your Uni or bothered to contact TFL. I believe you have misinformed yourself and that you arent entitled to a 16+ card, although you would be to an 18+.
1. Did you bother to ask your uni why they wouldnt stamp it?
2. It looks like they wrongly stamped your friends letter.
3. You can only have a 16+ card according to the rules if you are in FE and not HE. Ive given you the rules to the actual T's and C's.
4. You havent provided sufficient information to contradict the official T's and C's.
5. Nope I dont think its the fault of your university, its your issue. You cna ofc confirm this with TFL by giving them a call.

You dont appear to have challenged your Uni or bothered to contact TFL. I believe you have misinformed yourself and that you arent entitled to a 16+ card, although you would be to an 18+.

Nope
I've contacted TFL, they told me I am eligible, you just need to get it stamped - you can call them if you like....

I have contacted my university, they said they only offer this for those in foundation year or for those who are very very less fortunate and are not able to afford the travel.

Many universities stamp students applications (only for first year students lasting a year)

I don't want to continue this thread, it's my university who has rejected stamping my application so I'll just leave it there...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Nope
I've contacted TFL, they told me I am eligible, you just need to get it stamped - you can call them if you like....

I have contacted my university, they said they only offer this for those in foundation year or for those who are very very less fortunate and are not able to afford the travel.

Many universities stamp students applications (only for first year students lasting a year)

I don't want to continue this thread, it's my university who has rejected stamping my application so I'll just leave it there...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Welll not according to the T's and C's of the 16+ card, which we have shown you. It shouldnt matter to the university because as far as I understand it stamping a letter doesnt cost them any money, its just confirmation of attendance?

You either are eligible or you are not. We tend to think you are not eligible for a 16+ card because those are only for people in FE and not HE. Thats what the terms said. You are eligible for an 18+ card. If yo believe you are entitled and TFL believe you are, then you should pursue it with the university to get your entitlement.
Welll not according to the T's and C's of the 16+ card, which we have shown you. It shouldnt matter to the university because as far as I understand it stamping a letter doesnt cost them any money, its just confirmation of attendance?

You either are eligible or you are not. We tend to think you are not eligible for a 16+ card because those are only for people in FE and not HE. Thats what the terms said. You are eligible for an 18+ card. If yo believe you are entitled and TFL believe you are, then you should pursue it with the university to get your entitlement.

Okay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending