The Student Room Group

Are my choices too risky?

My parents want me to stay at home for uni! I don't want to tho. Originally my choices wouldv'e been : Manchester (A*AA-AAA), Nottingham (A*AA-A*AB), Bath (A*AA-A*AB), Birmingham (AAA) and Surrey (AAA-AAB).
In order to satisfy them I've had to alter my choices a bit to satisfy them. Right now it looks like it will be: Manchester (A*AA-AAA), Nottingham (A*AA-A*AB), UCL (A*A*A-A*AA), KCL (AAA) and Surrey (AAA-AAB). Im predicted A*A*C respectively in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. I know i'll get rejected from UCL so it'll be a loss for my parents but I don't want KCL to give me an offer. It'll mean that I'll have to firm them and stay in London which isn't what I want. How bad does my situation look in your perspective?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why do you parents want you at home and why are you not doing what you want?
Reply 2
Just go to the university you want to got to and can get into. Don't let your parents stop you from achieving your dreams but at the same time persuade them that you will be better off staying away from home since it builds life skills which are useful. Don't just run away from home- make your parents agree with you. Good luck!
Original post by Maker
Why do you parents want you at home and why are you not doing what you want?
Apparently it's expensive to live on the accomodation of the unis outside London. I had a 'uni choice' chat with my parents and the discussion ultimately ended in their favour.I raised the point of me wanting to be independant but somehow this got brushed aside. Thinking about it now, I was so dumb that I didn't mention student loan I could get and that I would pay it off when I get a stable job. I want 'the uni experience' but my parents seem to be so conservative and want their way. Have you attended uni or are applying to uni? If you were in a similar situation to me how did you convince your parents?
Original post by Trapz99
Just go to the university you want to got to and can get into. Don't let your parents stop you from achieving your dreams but at the same time persuade them that you will be better off staying away from home since it builds life skills which are useful. Don't just run away from home- make your parents agree with you. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I'll bring this up in the the 'uni choice' chat with my parents (which I plan to be on Sunday). I don't want to force all the points on them now as it may result in a definite no. :frown: . Were you in a similar situation to me? If so how did you get your way?
Reply 5
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Thanks for the advice. I'll bring this up in the the 'uni choice' chat with my parents (which I plan to be on Sunday). I don't want to force all the points on them now as it may result in a definite no. :frown: . Were you in a similar situation to me? If so how did you get your way?

I'm in a similar situation right now. My parents want me to stay in London where we live. To be honest the uni I want to go to is in London anyway but I would prefer to live in the uni halls for the first year because it's easier to make friends that way and you miss out if you stay at home.
My parents are kinda fine with it now.
My parents want me to stay at home for uni! I don't want to tho. Originally my choices wouldv'e been : Manchester (A*AA-AAA), Nottingham (A*AA-A*AB), Bath (A*AA-A*AB), Birmingham (AAA) and Surrey (AAA-AAB).
In order to satisfy them I've had to alter my choices a bit to satisfy them. Right now it looks like it will be: Manchester (A*AA-AAA), Nottingham (A*AA-A*AB), UCL (A*A*A-A*AA), KCL (AAA) and Surrey (AAA-AAB). Im predicted A*A*C respectively in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. I know i'll get rejected from UCL so it'll be a loss for my parents but I don't want KCL to give me an offer. It'll mean that I'll have to firm them and stay in London which isn't what I want. How bad does my situation look in your perspective?

You might not get offers from any of those universities with your predicted grades - the C could be a real issue, especially if the course is competitive (and I'm assuming it is). Why not apply to ones that you meet the entry requirements of, which don't necessarily have to be in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
You might not get offers from any of those universities with your predicted grades - the C could be a real issue, especially if the course is competitive (and I'm assuming it is). Why not apply to ones that you meet the entry requirements of, which don't necessarily have to be in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The thing is that I don't want to study in London. Don't unis give lower offers to prospective students from underachieving boroughs? Isn't it worth me applying to these universities since I meet/exceed the A Level requirements for Maths and Further Maths? The A Level sciences are linear so I could potentially get an A for Chemistry.
The thing is that I don't want to study in London. Don't unis give lower offers to prospective students from underachieving boroughs? Isn't it worth me applying to these universities since I meet/exceed the A Level requirements for Maths and Further Maths? The A Level sciences are linear so I could potentially get an A for Chemistry.

It depends on the university. You'd have to look at their specific course pages. I got a lowered offered from UCL but it was nothing to do with my geographical location.

The thing is, at competitive universities, the vast majority of applicants will meet or exceed the three A-Level entry requirement with their predictions or with actual grades. A C is quite a low prediction so it could really hinder you. If you could get an A then why are you predicted a C? I personally think you'd be in a much stronger position applying in a gap year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Use Which University? to check the offer rates. With good maths prediction s I would expect you to get offers from most if not all your universities, but being accepted may be the challenge .

e.g. UCL has a 75% offer rate
http://university.which.co.uk/university-college-london-university-of-london-u80/mathematics-4-years-9000-g107

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Trapz99
I'm in a similar situation right now. My parents want me to stay in London where we live. To be honest the uni I want to go to is in London anyway but I would prefer to live in the uni halls for the first year because it's easier to make friends that way and you miss out if you stay at home.
My parents are kinda fine with it now.

You can still go to the halls as a visitor, just make friends with people on your course and societies. I knew a bunch of people who had the convenience of living nearby. Saved them about ten thousand pounds in the long run.

I know it probably doesn't seem perfect, but it's really not bad, and you'll probably be grateful when it comes to paying the loan back and you've got £100 a month coming off your salary.
You need to beware of the C. Yes - I know you're predicted an A* in both Maths and FM, but the majority of applicants for the universities you've mentioned will have that PLUS a predicted A/A* in their third subject. I suggest you look for universities in the AAB/AAB range instead.
Reply 12
Apparently it's expensive to live on the accomodation of the unis outside London. I had a 'uni choice' chat with my parents and the discussion ultimately ended in their favour.I raised the point of me wanting to be independant but somehow this got brushed aside. Thinking about it now, I was so dumb that I didn't mention student loan I could get and that I would pay it off when I get a stable job. I want 'the uni experience' but my parents seem to be so conservative and want their way. Have you attended uni or are applying to uni? If you were in a similar situation to me how did you convince your parents?

I left home for uni a long time ago and have my own kids now. I think its important kids stand on their own feet and fend for themselves, I don't want them dependent on their parents for decades when they should be getting jobs and spouses and living independently,

Tell them you need to learn to be independent and live your own life. Some parents want to keep their kids at home out of fear they might do something stupid or they want to control them or a bit of both. Your parents have to know you want your independence and you need to stand up for yourself just like what you need to do to live away from them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Use Which University? to check the offer rates. With good maths prediction s I would expect you to get offers from most if not all your universities, but being accepted may be the challenge .

e.g. UCL has a 75% offer rate
http://university.which.co.uk/university-college-london-university-of-london-u80/mathematics-4-years-9000-g107

Posted from TSR Mobile
Straight after creating this thread I coincidently searched Which? as I really am worried about the situation I'm in. Which? projects that the average tariff points of undergratuates on the Bsc Maths course at KCL is 144 (which is what my predicted grades equate to). Manchester's is a range of 144-165 on average whereas Nottingham's is 144-152. I'm confident that my UCAS application will be good enough for Surrey (which is what I want as my Insurance). I don't mind getting 2 rejections out of my 4 choices (especially the London ones) as I may still be left with two unis to decide as my firm. Is this still too risky?
Original post by Maker
I left home for uni a long time ago and have my own kids now. I think its important kids stand on their own feet and fend for themselves, I don't want them dependent on their parents for decades when they should be getting jobs and spouses and living independently,

Tell them you need to learn to be independent and live your own life. Some parents want to keep their kids at home out of fear they might do something stupid or they want to control them or a bit of both. Your parents have to know you want your independence and you need to stand up for yourself just like what you need to do to live away from them.
This reply is very inspiring! I don't see why I can't get the courage to stand up to them (i think it may be a cultural thing) :frown:
Reply 15
Straight after creating this thread I coincidently searched Which? as I really am worried about the situation I'm in. Which? projects that the average tariff points of undergratuates on the Bsc Maths course at KCL is 144 (which is what my predicted grades equate to). Manchester's is a range of 144-165 on average whereas Nottingham's is 144-152. I'm confident that my UCAS application will be good enough for Surrey (which is what I want as my Insurance). I don't mind getting 2 rejections out of my 4 choices (especially the London ones) as I may still be left with two unis to decide as my firm. Is this still too risky?

The tariff points are not really relevant. But do you qualify for the contextual offers?
Original post by #ChaosKass
You need to beware of the C. Yes - I know you're predicted an A* in both Maths and FM, but the majority of applicants for the universities you've mentioned will have that PLUS a predicted A/A* in their third subject. I suggest you look for universities in the AAB/AAB range instead.

Surrey's Mathematics course is in the AAB range. I'm confident I'll get an offer from them so they'll be my insurance choice. I think I may take a risk with the other 4 choices as I hope one of them will be my Firm.
Im in a similar position my choices are Oxford - A*AA, Imperial A*A*A, UCL AAA, Warwick A*AA, Surrey AAB. Im predicted A*A*A. I dont mind going to a london uni as it will save me a lot of money and they are really good unis. Though I would like to go to warwick as job opportunities are insane for IB, though UCL might have to do, wouldn't mind Imperial aswell.
Original post by jneill
The tariff points are not really relevant. But do you qualify for the contextual offers?
If the low percentage of people enrolling to university at my borough doesn't qualify for a contextual offer (this is what the career adviser at my college told me) then no.
Original post by samendrag
Im in a similar position my choices are Oxford - A*AA, Imperial A*A*A, UCL AAA, Warwick A*AA, Surrey AAB. Im predicted A*A*A. I dont mind going to a london uni as it will save me a lot of money and they are really good unis. Though I would like to go to warwick as job opportunities are insane for IB, though UCL might have to do, wouldn't mind Imperial aswell.
Why can't parents acknowledge a different perspective from their own :frown: . Oh and wow your choices are amazing!

Quick Reply

Latest