The Student Room Group

Viva's Coeliac Blog

Scroll to see replies

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I'm not a coeliac, but I worked with young people who couldn't eat wheat or dairy. They would cook the Asda 'Free From' pasta. When you cook it, it goes gloopy, with a lot of starch (or at least something white) around it and on the water. If you rinse it with boiling water, that tastes good, very much like the normal stuff :smile: And their gluten free sausages taste better than the normal ones (I think cos there's less crap in them)
Original post by *Interrobang*
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I'm not a coeliac, but I worked with young people who couldn't eat wheat or dairy. They would cook the Asda 'Free From' pasta. When you cook it, it goes gloopy, with a lot of starch (or at least something white) around it and on the water. If you rinse it with boiling water, that tastes good, very much like the normal stuff :smile: And their gluten free sausages taste better than the normal ones (I think cos there's less crap in them)

Thank you. Hmm, I'm not a big pasta eater but good to know, I think there is going to be a lot of trial and error...how awful, lots of eating.

I work for a company that supplies Tesco's red meat and burgers and they are all gluten free, and I know the sausages and stuff usually are too because of their policies so I'm definitely set for meats!
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Thank you. Hmm, I'm not a big pasta eater but good to know, I think there is going to be a lot of trial and error...how awful, lots of eating.

I work for a company that supplies Tesco's red meat and burgers and they are all gluten free, and I know the sausages and stuff usually are too because of their policies so I'm definitely set for meats!

Yeah most meats are fine, it's just the processed ones like burgers and sausages that you may have to be careful with. You can find gluten free cook books in places like The Works too :smile:
I decided to give Asda's free from section a go yesterday and bought a whole heap of goodies and essentials.

14611162_10154416444405867_4015148078065985749_n.jpg

I also bought a giant **** off bag of wotsits - not sure if those are even ok? The ingredients deck contains no gluten-containing ingredients but there is a caveat which says they are manufactured in the same factory as gluten. So I know there is a risk of cross-contamination but no idea how large that risk is...helpful.

Anyway, the bakewell tarts and the chocolate digestive are gross. And that's coming from someone who would eat bakewell tarts until she died if she could. Sad, sad times. On the plus side, the cereal and milk was spot on :h: Can't wait to try them sausages.
Reply 24
I decided to give Asda's free from section a go yesterday and bought a whole heap of goodies and essentials.

14611162_10154416444405867_4015148078065985749_n.jpg

I also bought a giant **** off bag of wotsits - not sure if those are even ok? The ingredients deck contains no gluten-containing ingredients but there is a caveat which says they are manufactured in the same factory as gluten. So I know there is a risk of cross-contamination but no idea how large that risk is...helpful.

Anyway, the bakewell tarts and the chocolate digestive are gross. And that's coming from someone who would eat bakewell tarts until she died if she could. Sad, sad times. On the plus side, the cereal and milk was spot on :h: Can't wait to try them sausages.

Ooh, I use Pure stuff, like their sunflower spread, instead of butter, and I personally prefer it. Shame about the bakewell tarts. :cry:

Bacon and maple syrup sausages sounds lovely.
Original post by Airmed
Ooh, I use Pure stuff, like their sunflower spread, instead of butter, and I personally prefer it. Shame about the bakewell tarts. :cry:

Bacon and maple syrup sausages sounds lovely.

I'd never heard of Pure before now! I can't wait to try the ready meals because I am a really lazy cook (it's just me in the house so I can rarely be arsed to cook a full meal from scratch). I was pretty bummed about the tarts, but to be honest if it means I eat less **** - it can only be a good thing.

I will report back on the sausages! There were loads of gluten free ones in Asda, cool flavours too.
Reply 26
I'd never heard of Pure before now! I can't wait to try the ready meals because I am a really lazy cook (it's just me in the house so I can rarely be arsed to cook a full meal from scratch). I was pretty bummed about the tarts, but to be honest if it means I eat less **** - it can only be a good thing.

I will report back on the sausages! There were loads of gluten free ones in Asda, cool flavours too.

I saw it by chance in Tesco at the start of term. :tongue: But yeah, I should really eat a lot less crap myself. :frown: It's hard.

Ah, the Asda in Dundee is so far out, closest to me is Tesco's and Lidl. I miss Asda.
Got a completely GF Maple and Bacon sausauge sandwich for breakfast at work tomorrow - I'm well excited so it can only be a bitter disappointment in practice.
Reply 28

The gloop is because the water wasn't hot enough. You need to make sure the water is boiling before adding the pasta and make sure it stays boiling throughout
Original post by Juno
The gloop is because the water wasn't hot enough. You need to make sure the water is boiling before adding the pasta and make sure it stays boiling throughout

Ah OK! Unfortunately the young people who were actually cooking them had autism and needed a lot of support, so we had to be very careful! It was fine after a rinse at least (I would try some to make sure it was cooked)
What do you feel about all the people that say they do not eat gluten or are gluten free even though they do not have any allergies to it?
And people that claim Gluten is some evil Thing that is the cause of all problems?

Good luck to you
Reply 31
Ah OK! Unfortunately the young people who were actually cooking them had autism and needed a lot of support, so we had to be very careful! It was fine after a rinse at least (I would try some to make sure it was cooked)

Yeah it's still fine after (except spaghetti, that just makes lumps rather than staying as individual strands and is horrible)

Some brands do gloop less than others though. Schar brand is particularly bad for gloop. Marks and Spencer is good for no gloop. I can't remember what other brands are like though
Original post by AperfectBalance
What do you feel about all the people that say they do not eat gluten or are gluten free even though they do not have any allergies to it?
And people that claim Gluten is some evil Thing that is the cause of all problems?

Good luck to you

It doesn't bother me since it's widely accepted that most people who have coeliac disease haven't actually been diagnosed or have any idea that they have it - if someone feels better by cutting out gluten then more power to them imo. If nothing else, it's popularity means I get a lot more options when eating out or at the supermarket :h:
Reply 33

Tesco has a good free from section too, but only in the big stores. And some put the bread in the normal bread section, which makes me worry about airborne gluten germs (which might not even be a thing, but I'm not happy with it). Tesco do gluten free scampi, onion rings, and mozzarella sticks
Original post by Juno
Tesco has a good free from section too, but only in the big stores. And some put the bread in the normal bread section, which makes me worry about airborne gluten germs (which might not even be a thing, but I'm not happy with it). Tesco do gluten free scampi, onion rings, and mozzarella sticks

Oh my God, mozzarella sticks, for serious? Thank **** because I love those guys.

Yeah I do worry about them being kept together too, cross contamination is definitely a thing (not sure about airborne...lol) but all it takes is a rip in the packaging and then it's pointless.
Reply 35
Oh my God, mozzarella sticks, for serious? Thank **** because I love those guys.

Yeah I do worry about them being kept together too, cross contamination is definitely a thing (not sure about airborne...lol) but all it takes is a rip in the packaging and then it's pointless.

Yes, the breaded cheese things. I'd never had them before (been coeliac for far too long as was diagnosed as a baby) but my boyfriend kept buying them from places like McDonalds and I was jealous. Then I found them in Tesco and realised they're as amazing as he thinks they are.

I'm just convinced that if you can smell the bread then the gluten germs get into the air. So that means contaminated air to breath in. I used to work in a supermarket so realise that gluten free products aren't going to be treated that much differently, but at least if they're on the other side of the store you don't have to walk through clouds of gluten dust.
But if they are in the bread section then they are with other short dated products. I've found that you need to check the date on any bread product because they are often missed
Reply 36
DSC_0283.jpg

Yes please *grabby hands* they're going straight in my basket.
Reply 38
You can get a free taster box with glutafin
Original post by Juno
You can get a free taster box with glutafin

Oh, thanks! I'm signing up as we speak :h:

Ugh, I've just checked into my hotel in Dublin for work and checked out the room service menu - my only options are a steak with no chips or a greek salad. Sigh. Well at least I bought some...sesame snaps?

Quick Reply

Latest