The Student Room Group

Oral Piercings/Braces and Brass Instruments

I've been playing trumpet for 8 years, and am around grade 6 standard. i would really like to get a smiley piercing, however am concerned about it changing my embouchure. has anyone got a similar piercing and had any problems with it? The healing time is really short, so i am considering getting a barbell that isn't in the way to change into when i play. the is also the idea of flipping it out the way, but the excess pressure on the top lip when i play concerns me that it'll get ripped/migrate more easily?? merci pour l'aide en avance
Reply 1
Original post by Leakycauldron
I've been playing trumpet for 8 years, and am around grade 6 standard. i would really like to get a smiley piercing, however am concerned about it changing my embouchure. has anyone got a similar piercing and had any problems with it? The healing time is really short, so i am considering getting a barbell that isn't in the way to change into when i play. the is also the idea of flipping it out the way, but the excess pressure on the top lip when i play concerns me that it'll get ripped/migrate more easily?? merci pour l'aide en avance
So you'd put holes in your face at the risk of losing a skill that's actually worth having?
tbh you would be better off with a navel piercing :dontknow:
Original post by Tootles
So you'd put holes in your face at the risk of losing a skill that's actually worth having?

actually in my lip frenulum, not my face. and its unlikely I'd be at risk of losing the skill, considering I've played for nearly a decade? Individuality is a big thing to me, and I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE MORE HOLES IN MY FACE/MOUTH to express my personality. why is being who i am a problem?
Original post by the bear
tbh you would be better off with a navel piercing :dontknow:

not for me, i've heard they get infected really easily, and imagine they can be a pain getting caught on jeans/belts etc.
actually in my lip frenulum, not my face. and its unlikely I'd be at risk of losing the skill, considering I've played for nearly a decade? Individuality is a big thing to me, and I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE MORE HOLES IN MY FACE/MOUTH to express my personality. why is being who i am a problem?

i do not wish to be unkind but having piercings is not being individual, but following the trendy crowd. *
i do not wish to be unkind but having piercings is not being individual, but following the trendy crowd. *

some piercings may be trendy, but if it helps you feel more confident and more like you, is that not expressing your individualism?
Reply 7
I have a smilie piercing although I do not play trumpet (I used to play clarinet though). I think you would need to take a few days off from playing because initially it can be quite sore, so choose carefully when you get it done.

It does depend on your anatomy, but I can't see why it would be a problem
some piercings may be trendy, but if it helps you feel more confident and more like you, is that not expressing your individualism?

you could maybe get one of these ?

Original post by Juno
I have a smilie piercing although I do not play trumpet (I used to play clarinet though). I think you would need to take a few days off from playing because initially it can be quite sore, so choose carefully when you get it done.

It does depend on your anatomy, but I can't see why it would be a problem

thanks for the advice- did you have any trouble with pressure on the piercing because of playing?
you could maybe get one of these ?

thanks for the er.. Creative idea, but somehow i think that could limit my playing somewhat
Reply 11
thanks for the advice- did you have any trouble with pressure on the piercing because of playing?

No, although clarinet is different to trumpet. But I have tried imagining playing trumpet (I have previously tried trumpet so have a vague idea) and can't imagine any problems - other than initially when everything hurts.

So get the piercing when you can have some time off, rather than right before a performance and you'll be fine.
thanks for the er.. Creative idea, but somehow i think that could limit my playing somewhat

:jester: *
:lol: "express your personality." Empty vessels.
Original post by Tootles
:lol: "express your personality." Empty vessels.

whatever you say dear
I don't know 100%, but as a brass player, I feel like having a smiley piercing would get in the way of my playing, because I'm pretty sure there would be a lot of pressure on that area, which would irritate the piercing. Maybe ask the piercer you're planning on going to?

Quick Reply