The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough to study Law at a Russell Group university?

I'm currently predicted an A in both English Lit and Biology and a B in physics and maths. I want to ideally go to a Russel Group uni to do Law and really like Bristol and Leeds. If i apply with these AABB predictions is there any chance I would get an offer back, even if the offer was something like AAA? And also is there any point of me doing a fourth A level, as I am considering dropping physics but if it would help my application by having 4 A levels I will definitely keep it. I was thinking in my application to apply too two AAA unis, two AAB unis and one ABB as my insurance.
Original post by Ashkon
I'm currently predicted an A in both English Lit and Biology and a B in physics and maths. I want to ideally go to a Russel Group uni to do Law and really like Bristol and Leeds. If i apply with these AABB predictions is there any chance I would get an offer back, even if the offer was something like AAA? And also is there any point of me doing a fourth A level, as I am considering dropping physics but if it would help my application by having 4 A levels I will definitely keep it. I was thinking in my application to apply too two AAA unis, two AAB unis and one ABB as my insurance.

There's no way to know exactly, but I got into Sheffield Law with ABB, so you definitely have a chance to go Russell Group at a minimum
It depends, they might take into consideration they fact you're doing four, but they might not. Emailing them and asking is your best bet.

Liverpool is a Russell Group, they want ABB.
Reply 3
Original post by Ashkon

Applying to a uni asking for AAA with only AAB is almost certainly not going to work. Unless - you got to a school that allows you to apply for a contextual offer (ie an underperforming school).

Better to apply to unis within your predictions, or beg a teachers to upgrade the B and hope that if you miss it you are let in anyway.

Bristol is a fab uni for Law, but if you can do the extra work to get 3 As predicted and as a result, it's worth it :wink:

In your case, I'd recommend doing 3 and putting in extra work into Math. Physics was my downfall too haha (I did 4 a levels). To add to Kirstybecs point, they will not take into account that you are doing 4 if your predictions don't meet their offer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Inazuma
Applying to a uni asking for AAA with only AAB is almost certainly not going to work. Unless - you got to a school that allows you to apply for a contextual offer (ie an underperforming school).

Better to apply to unis within your predictions, or beg a teachers to upgrade the B and hope that if you miss it you are let in anyway.

Bristol is a fab uni for Law, but if you can do the extra work to get 3 As predicted and as a result, it's worth it :wink:

In your case, I'd recommend doing 3 and putting in extra work into Math. Physics was my downfall too haha (I did 4 a levels). To add to Kirstybecs point, they will not take into account that you are doing 4 if your predictions don't meet their offer.

So if I apply to a uni with AAA entry requirements with ABB, they wouldn't reply with a conditional offer of AAA? They would be far more likely to straight up reject it?
Reply 5
Original post by Ashkon
So if I apply to a uni with AAA entry requirements with ABB, they wouldn't reply with a conditional offer of AAA? They would be far more likely to straight up reject it?

Yes, at least from my understanding, they simply won't consider it (in most cases)
You need to consider, after all, they have many offers and people who have no chance to make it initially, and may even do worse (since many schools overpredict) are a higher risk.

See these for reference: 1, 2

The latter post by TSR does actually recommend one higher than predicted grades. But, the thing to keep in mind is that Law is very competitive, and hoping they have less applicants is far less likely to work at RG level.
Just going to throw into the mix a few articles about the Russell Group, sometimes it's worth thinking about the course, location and where you'll be happiest, rather than the perceived 'elite' status of a university!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=21279-Are-you-blinded-by-the-Russell-Group%E2%80%99s-halo
http://unibox.uea.ac.uk/post?p=is-the-russell-group-really-an-elite&post_id=733

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending