The Student Room Group

A-level advice

Hi I am currently in year 11 and I am making choices of what to do next. In the future I want to become a pharmacist. I am going to be doing a-levels in chemistry, physics, biology and physcology. If you have done any of these subject could you tell me what it is like, workload, exams, are there field trips, how to revise for it and general tips. Also by me doing these a-level will it lead me to become a pharmacists. Also I saw on prospecteurs as and a level. Could you tell me the difference. I have a keen on a-level and was wondering what does as do. I saw on the internet but it's quite complicated so if anyone knows could you tell me the difference.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Bump
Original post by Anisa22345
Hi I am currently in year 11 and I am making choices of what to do next. In the future I want to become a pharmacist. I am going to be doing a-levels in chemistry, physics, biology and physcology. If you have done any of these subject could you tell me what it is like, workload, exams, are there field trips, how to revise for it and general tips. Also by me doing these a-level will it lead me to become a pharmacists. Also I saw on prospecteurs as and a level. Could you tell me the difference. I have a keen on a-level and was wondering what does as do. I saw on the internet but it's quite complicated so if anyone knows could you tell me the difference.

Chemistry is really enjoyable at Alevel, as long as you understand it. It makes sense and actually gets you to think a bit for yourself. A lot of people didn't like it for that reason I think, sometimes I guess not understanding a concept can be frustrating so people turn against the subject 😁😂. But it's a respected alevel and is usually the only specific subject required to study pharmacy at uni. I didn't find the workload to be a lot for chem, though some people did becuase they'd have to go over things, trying to get their heads round certain topics at home, which can be time consuming I guess. Past papers round exam season are key. Make sure you do any homeworks given by teachers during the year(and I mean make sure you understand what you write in them)-esp if they're exam q based. We had no field trips for Chem.
Biology was very content heavy, especially in y13. Again, during the year I didn't feel like the work load was heavy (but I do cram during revision period). Lots of people made their own notes using bio textbooks outside of lesson and that can contribute to your workload. Also, I know some people think biology Is just pure memorisation. Trust me, that is a misconception. At gcse it is but at Alevel (mostly y13), you really need to be able to understand complex ideas, engage with the topics and apply your knowledge to different scenarios in exams-which some people find really challenging. Again, no field trips.
Psychology? You need to be good at essay writing-esp in y13. Once you have a model structure for one essay apply it to every other essay question and you'll hopefully be fine. You do need to remember lotss of studies, names etc (and I mean LOTS, like hundreds of studies- it can be quite overwhelming at times). Workload for these sort of essay based subjects can be a lot because teachers like to set essays for hw (which usually took me forever to get started on and complete). There were optional trips for psy at my sixth form-like to go and meet some celebrity psychologists etc- but I never really attended because psychology bored me to death. Lol
Hope this helps in some way.
If you have any other questions, do ask!
Good luck with GCSEs and the future 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending