The Student Room Group

Have the recent European terror attacks changed your day to day life?

Do you feel less safe now compared to before the Paris attacks and Nice attack and Orlando shooting?

Do you feel that this sort of attack is likely to happen in the UK soon?

Have you taken extra precaution when walking through crowded areas or travelling on public transportation?

Scroll to see replies

Honestly, I have the slightly morbid attitude that I m going to die one day anyway so don't feel any less safe as I feel if it happens it happens,worrying about something won't stop it happening.
A while back there were no less than 4 terror attacks in Europe in a single week. If nothing is changed, its not a matter of if it'll happen here, it's when.
Hasn't changed my way of life otherwise that would mean those deluded Muslim terrorists have won and they certainly haven't. Our way of life is here to stay and there's nothing they can do about it.
these terror nutters are planning things which will make recent attacks look like handbags at dawn...
Reply 5
No
Yes
No
Reply 6
I don't even think about it, I actually think I have a more chance of dying because of a car accident
(edited 7 years ago)
No real concern. I welcome my destruction.
If death comes I will welcome him with open arms.
But no that's what they want. They want you to feel the terror. Don't and they lose. But I as always keep an eye open at all times.
Pffft. Has not changed my life one iota and never will.

Terrorists have tried time and time again to cower the general public - each has failed and each simply strengthens our resolve to keep calm and carry on.

To get this into some kind of perspective, here's a list of terrorist attacks in the UK over the last 4 decades. Compare the numbers to the recent spate of ISIS attacks over the last few years. Look at 1992 and 1993 alone to see why ISIS are a bunch of amateurs:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik

Spoiler

Maybe use a spoiler.
Original post by Ladbants
Do you feel less safe now compared to before the Paris attacks and Nice attack and Orlando shooting?

Do you feel that this sort of attack is likely to happen in the UK soon?

Have you taken extra precaution when walking through crowded areas or travelling on public transportation?

No

Eventually, but the risk is very small and you are much more likely to die crossing the road. I still cross the road.

No extra precuation, but im always vigilant.
Original post by 999tigger
No

Eventually, but the risk is very small and you are much more likely to die crossing the road. I still cross the road.

No extra precuation, but im always vigilant.

You're more likely to get run over on a really busy road than a calm one. Likewise, the more muslims in a country, the more likely it is you'll fie from terrorism.
I do feel a bit less safe when I go to Central London or a big train station but it's not a big difference. I've always been aware of the slight risk of an attack here but I do feel that it's less likely to happen in the UK because the security and intelligence services here do a great job of catching terrorists before they strike.

Plus, it's a lot harder for ISIS terrorists to come here from Syria and smuggle weapons here because the UK is an island whereas it would be easier to smuggle weapons into somewhere like France or Germany.
Original post by MildredMalone
You're more likely to get run over on a really busy road than a calm one. Likewise, the more muslims in a country, the more likely it is you'll fie from terrorism.

No need to try an teach me about risk.

How many people have died in road accidents in the last 10 years in the UK? 24,000+
How many in terrorist incidents in the UK? 2
No they haven't.

The media over exaggerates the threat of terrorism.
Original post by the bear
these terror nutters are planning things which will make recent attacks look like handbags at dawn...

How would you know that? Are you a terrorist?
Original post by soecialtony
How would you know that? Are you a terrorist?

Probably just not a retard*
Has terrorism affected my life, not even a little bit, not directly anyway.
To be fair I think I am a bit more observant now of emergency exits and things when I go to concerts/gigs with crowds of people. And I know that if I do start to hear bangs and screaming etc that I'm not going to stick around to figure out what is going on but instead start running away as quickly as possible in self preservation mode.

Still I'm realistic and know I'm far more likely to get injured or killed cycling to work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending