Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tawheed
x

Salaam.
Good to see you're still around.
How's uni?
Original post by SuperHuman98
Salam

For the past few months, I have been quite critical of religion in general I still felt god exists but I have been questioning everything. Then yesterday I decided to actually research some things rather than having thoughts.

One thing I have been researching today, was the age of Aisha at marriage. Why do some muslims/non muslims say she was 9, while I have read about her being 17/18/19 at the age of marriage when looking at the historical dates?

Wa alaykum salam

Regarding the age, from my experience, mainly sunni brothers (and sisters) claim the age of 9 (or at least some of their literature does). Others (including myself) go with the elder age.
Reply 3262

You write beautifully masha'Allah.

Salam

For the past few months, I have been quite critical of religion in general I still felt god exists but I have been questioning everything. Then yesterday I decided to actually research some things rather than having thoughts.

One thing I have been researching today, was the age of Aisha at marriage. Why do some muslims/non muslims say she was 9, while I have read about her being 17/18/19 at the age of marriage when looking at the historical dates?

Wa'alaykum Assalaaam,

May Allah guide you and keep you on the right path. Ameen.

I would recommend you watch this video first insha'Allah:
https://youtu.be/Gt7vS7kxc50
Salam

Majority opinion is that she was around 9, although there is minor ikhtilaaf with some saying other older ages, from what I have read.

People (non-Muslims) often criticise this and find reason to fault Islam as they feel it does not agree with their morals, and this often causes lay Muslims or those who are low in Imaan to have doubts over whether they want to follow Islam. The reality of the matter is that the basis of truth and Muhammad (SAW) being a prophet of God is not dependent upon the subjective morality of a society who are slowly gravitating towards considering sex with animals permissible (as is now legal in some European countries), glorify promiscuity and alcohol, encourages those with gender dysphoria further into their conditon, and other immoral things, and instead we can see throughout his life he was exemplar in character, manners and righteousness, so we need not feel uneased by this fact.
Reply 3265
Original post by h333
You write beautifully masha'Allah

Thank you!

Original post by tasha_tah
Do u blog stuff ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes
Original post by Zamestaneh
Majority opinion is that she was around 9, although there is minor ikhtilaaf with some saying other older ages, from what I have read.

People (non-Muslims) often criticise this and find reason to fault Islam as they feel it does not agree with their morals, and this often causes lay Muslims or those who are low in Imaan to have doubts over whether they want to follow Islam. The reality of the matter is that the basis of truth and Muhammad (SAW) being a prophet of God is not dependent upon the subjective morality of a society who are slowly gravitating towards considering sex with animals permissible (as is now legal in some European countries), glorify promiscuity and alcohol, encourages those with gender dysphoria further into their conditon, and other immoral things, and instead we can see throughout his life he was exemplar in character, manners and righteousness, so we need not feel uneased by this fact.

What are your thoughts on child marriages in today's societies?
Reply 3267
Original post by Tpos
Thank you!

Yes

You're welcome x
Original post by Tawheed
Unity does not mean compromising ones beliefs. Rather it is the recognition that there are overwhelming commonalities , as well as peace, friendship, strength in understanding and tolerating one another. As for the differences, it is important to recognise that too, and ensure steps are taken to discuss differences in a cordial and sensible manner, and like civilised human beings, agreeing to agree to disagree, without resorting to name calling or spewing hatred.
I basically agree

in any case, "compromise" is an ambiguous word. It has, in many ways, a negative ring to it (you can compromise your belief, your financial situation, your future etc)

on the other hand, a compromise can be an excellent result : it means that an agreement is reached, where both parties recognise each other some advantages, and have managed to find some middle ground

while of course we all hold to our opinions, and defend them in discussions, it is essential in my view to realise that we are always talking of opinions, not of absolute truths : and all opinions are subjective views. Someone else, holding a different view, may be right, and I may actually be desperately wrong

if we realise this, it helps enormously in understanding other people and in avoiding hate, discrimination and useless disputes

of course religions, because of their claim to represent absolute truths, are among the most delicate subjects for discussion...

best
Salam

Wasalam

If you have a look at authentic hadith the most correct view is that she (RA) was 9 years old.

One of the reasons I've seen others claim she (RA) was older (when married) is due to fear of mockery from non Muslims.
However if you look at historical context there's absolutely nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about her marriage at a young age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
a society who are slowly gravitating towards considering sex with animals permissible (as is now legal in some European countries), glorify promiscuity and alcohol, encourages those with gender dysphoria further into their conditon, and other immoral things

What trite you write.
Reply 3272
حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو مَعْمَرٍ، حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ الْوَارِثِ، حَدَّثَنَا أَيُّوبُ، حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ اللَّهِ بْنُ سَعِيدِ بْنِ جُبَيْرٍ، عَنْ أَبِيهِ، عَنِ ابْنِ عَبَّاسٍ ـ رضى الله عنهما ـ قَالَ قَدِمَ النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وسلم الْمَدِينَةَ، فَرَأَى الْيَهُودَ تَصُومُ يَوْمَ عَاشُورَاءَ، فَقَالَ ‏"‏ مَا هَذَا ‏"‏‏.‏ قَالُوا هَذَا يَوْمٌ صَالِحٌ، هَذَا يَوْمٌ نَجَّى اللَّهُ بَنِي إِسْرَائِيلَ مِنْ عَدُوِّهِمْ، فَصَامَهُ مُوسَى‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ فَأَنَا أَحَقُّ بِمُوسَى مِنْكُمْ ‏"‏‏.‏ فَصَامَهُ وَأَمَرَ بِصِيَامِهِ‏.‏

Narrated Ibn `Abbas: The Prophet (ﷺ) came to Medina and saw the Jews fasting on the day of Ashura. He asked them about that. They replied, "This is a good day, the day on which Allah rescued Bani Israel from their enemy. So, Moses fasted this day." The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "We have more claim over Moses than you." So, the Prophet fasted on that day and ordered (the Muslims) to fast (on that day).

Sahih Bukhari
(Fasting)
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 2004
In-book reference : Book 30, Hadith 109

حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ اللَّهِ بْنُ مَسْلَمَةَ، عَنْ مَالِكٍ، عَنْ هِشَامِ بْنِ عُرْوَةَ، عَنْ أَبِيهِ، عَنْ عَائِشَةَ ـ رضى الله عنها ـ قَالَتْ كَانَ يَوْمُ عَاشُورَاءَ تَصُومُهُ قُرَيْشٌ فِي الْجَاهِلِيَّةِ، وَكَانَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم يَصُومُهُ، فَلَمَّا قَدِمَ الْمَدِينَةَ صَامَهُ، وَأَمَرَ بِصِيَامِهِ، فَلَمَّا فُرِضَ رَمَضَانُ تَرَكَ يَوْمَ عَاشُورَاءَ، فَمَنْ شَاءَ صَامَهُ، وَمَنْ شَاءَ تَرَكَهُ‏.‏

Narrated Aisha: Quraish used to fast on the day of 'Ashura' in the Pre-Islamic period, and Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) too, used to fast on that day. When he came to Medina, he fasted on that day and ordered others to fast, too. Later when the fasting of the month of Ramadan was prescribed, he gave up fasting on the day of 'Ashura' and it became optional for one to fast on it or not.

Sahih Bukhari (Fasting)Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 2002In-book reference : Book 30, Hadith 107
Original post by teenhorrorstory
What are your thoughts on child marriages in today's societies?

Depends which society we are talking about in today's age - around the world, the societal conditions all differ, and therefore more or less is expected from younger people, people have different responsibilities, and life will differ generally. It is such that say in the UK, one who is under 18 is not really mature enough to marry in most cases, whereas in certain communities in a certain African country or community, marriage as a teenager or as a child may be something feasable or necessary. This is why we often find the age of consent and the age of marriage differs globally. In my opinion, it is okay to have have context specific marriages like this; there should always be safeguards to prevent abuse of the system, however, e.g anulling forced marriages etc.
Original post by The Epicurean
What trite you write.

100 years ago, no one would have forseen LGBT issues being force fed to society through schooling, the internet, television, advertisements, and other forms of media, laws etc, yet here we are. Similarly, it is not a bad prediction that the direction that society will head in the future is towards what I have mentioned - beastiality today is like homosexuality 100 years ago, and eventually more and more people will take it up.
100 years ago, no one would have forseen LGBT issues being force fed to society through schooling, the internet, television, advertisements, and other forms of media, laws etc, yet here we are. Similarly, it is not a bad prediction that the direction that society will head in the future is towards what I have mentioned - beastiality today is like homosexuality 100 years ago, and eventually more and more people will take it up.

If isn't a bad prediction, it is a ludicrously absurd prediction. We live in a society where more and more people are emphasising the importance of consent. An important part of being able to consent, is being able to not consent and being able to defend yourself in a court of law if someone engages in sexual acts against your consent. It is absolutely ludicrous that you believe a goat can defend itself in a court of law. There is a reason people who have severe learning difficulties, young children and animals cannot consent, and that is because they are not fully able to comprehend the concept of consent and are unable to defend their position in a court of law. Anyway, I won't further draw this thread off-topic with this ridiculous conversation I am having.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3276
Original post by bashar a1 assad
who am I then? lol

No sorry for mistaking you that I thought someone I know did this. He is more anti-Semitic and he told me he made several accounts for this to talk about religions but that was couple of months ago. He wont tell me the names but Im glad Im not talking to him anymore!
Reply 3277
Assalaamu Alaykum :smile:
Reply 3278
Would any of you who liked my blog and have fb, like to share it on there :tongue: twitter is getting all the love atm
Original post by h333
Assalaamu Alaykum :smile:

Wasalam x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending