The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

The Official Exeter Applicants Thread 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys! Applying to Exeter to study French (might pick up some more languages throughout the course, haha!)! I got AAA at AS and am predicted A*A*A* at A2! Exeter will probably be my first choice I reckon, if I get an offer

I'm a bit worried because all 4 of my other choices were a slightly different course (French and Linguistics) so the academic part of my personal statement was approx 60% French and 40% linguistics (but my teacher reference barely mentioned linguistics at all)Do you think my application will still be fairly considered even though I mentioned something that wasn't wholly relevant to Exeter? There are modules for linguistics that you can take but the course itself isn't heavy on linguistics and I mentioned a lot "I would like to go to university to study French and linguistics..."?? Do you think they'll understand and still consider my application?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
I'm looking at applying for criminology. I got ABBC at AS level and have predicted grades of AAB.
Reply 62
I really, really want to study Law at Exeter. My AS grades were A,C and D* in BTEC Law, which I've now dropped as BTECs are not looked at as well as A-Levels. Also taking pre-u history and so there was no AS exam for that. Predicted grades are AB and M1 (pre-u equivalent to middle of A and B) so I am technically slightly under the requirements, but am going to try to work my ass off to get a D3 (equivalent to A)
Original post by bishle
Howdy everyone! I've already done my A-levels and will be doing French & Spanish for 2017 entry as I deferred, any other linguists here? :biggrin:

:wavey:Applying for French! I'm also doing an A Level in Spanish but decided not to apply to study it at uni because it's definitely not my favourite language and I worry I wouldn't have the motivation to continue it though! Might ask if I can take it up again though if I end up missing it haha!
Is anyone else applying for biological sciences? I sent my application off at the beginning of this month with predicted grades of AAA, and i got a receipt of application email a few days later. Kinda worried as it's my top choice uni and i doubt i'll get an offer as apparently it's the 12th most competitive uni in the country? but not too concerned as i already have a low offer from Bristol (BBB) and an offer from Surrey (ABB) :smile:

I've heard the Exeter can take quite a while to respond to applications though? Just wondering if anyone else heard the same, apparently they sometimes don't reply until may! i'm patient but not quite that patient lol
Well, I got an email from them on Thursday asking for more information. I was expecting this because I do have a very unique situation.., but I never expected them to be this quick based on what I've been hearing from others! It's not an offer/rejection yet, but still...
Original post by butterfly_belle
Is anyone else applying for biological sciences? I sent my application off at the beginning of this month with predicted grades of AAA, and i got a receipt of application email a few days later. Kinda worried as it's my top choice uni and i doubt i'll get an offer as apparently it's the 12th most competitive uni in the country? but not too concerned as i already have a low offer from Bristol (BBB) and an offer from Surrey (ABB) :smile:

I've heard the Exeter can take quite a while to respond to applications though? Just wondering if anyone else heard the same, apparently they sometimes don't reply until may! i'm patient but not quite that patient lol

Woah congratulations! :yay:
Original post by Namita Gurung
Woah congratulations! :yay:

Thank you!! :smile:
Reply 68

Are you saying Bristol offered you BBB even though the entry requirements are higher?
Original post by abb3yyy
Are you saying Bristol offered you BBB even though the entry requirements are higher?

yup, on their website the entry requirements are AAB-ABB, i'm still in shock tbh because in my school i've never seen anyone get an offer without any A grades in it from bristol
Just sent in my application for the Msci Applied (Clinical) Psychology course and the Bsc Psychology.. Would love to study here!
Reply 71
yup, on their website the entry requirements are AAB-ABB, i'm still in shock tbh because in my school i've never seen anyone get an offer without any A grades in it from bristol

Omg wow, what course was it for? Because I really want to do law there but they want AAA-A*AB and I'm predicted A, B, M1
Reply 72
I'm applying for Modern Languages (more specifically, German) and History. I have achieved BBBB at AS and am predicted AAA. The thing is that the typical offer ranges from AAA-ABB, so I don't know what my offer would be. 😁 Is anyone else applying for the same course or similar?
Hi everyone! :smile:
Applying for Maths and Physics at Exeter (as well as in Bristol and UCL) then i'm applying for Applied maths and theoretical physics in Birmingham and Natural Sciences at Cambridge :smile:
Exeter is likely to be my second or third choice depending on how my application to cambridge and UCL goes, depending also if I get an offer from there ofc haha
I'm a french applicant so i've got pretty weird predicted grades but they are, at least I think equivalent to something like A*A*AA not sure cause we have to take all the possible subjects (i'm taking a heavily scientific 'course' but still have to study quite a bit of english lit, history, geography, philosophy and spanish on top of all the sciences) :smile:
I've never visied exeter tho but as my course requires an interview I hope i'll get the opportunity to go there!
Original post by cmh1405
I'm applying for Modern Languages (more specifically, German) and History. I have achieved BBBB at AS and am predicted AAA. The thing is that the typical offer ranges from AAA-ABB, so I don't know what my offer would be. 😁 Is anyone else applying for the same course or similar?

Applying for Modern Languages! (French)Basically, most people can expect to receive the higher offer of AAA. You'll receive ABB if your application is contextualised- that's to say, if you come from an area of really low participation, your school barely send anyone to uni and the grades are really low on average, you're a care leader, and other things like that :smile:
Reply 75
Original post by BEARichards
Applying for Modern Languages! (French)Basically, most people can expect to receive the higher offer of AAA. You'll receive ABB if your application is contextualised- that's to say, if you come from an area of really low participation, your school barely send anyone to uni and the grades are really low on average, you're a care leader, and other things like that :smile:

Thank you! 😊
Reply 76

Hi I'm applying for biological sciences too but haven't sent away my UCAS! I got AAAA at AS but predicted AAA at A2. I'm applying for the professional placement option too as that's quite an important factor to me but could they offer A*AA? I really want To go to Exeter but I am from N. Ireland so I haven't seen any places yet. Where else have you applied? I am considering Surrey, how quickly did they give you an offer? Sorry for all the questions haha 😃
Original post by abb3yyy
Omg wow, what course was it for? Because I really want to do law there but they want AAA-A*AB and I'm predicted A, B, M1

It's for biology :smile: I'd say if you have a strong personal statement and a really good LNAT score then you should consider it, as your predicted grades are roughly around the grades they want for a contextual offer, but it just might be a tad risky that's all.

Good luck with your application!
Hi everybody! I am applying to Exeter for the Human Sciences :smile: I am an international student and I have a predicted 666 at HL. I am sending in my application sometime next week as soon as my core points are finalized and letter of reference is uploaded by the school O.o

Good Luck with all your Applications! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lkerr79
Hi I'm applying for biological sciences too but haven't sent away my UCAS! I got AAAA at AS but predicted AAA at A2. I'm applying for the professional placement option too as that's quite an important factor to me but could they offer A*AA? I really want To go to Exeter but I am from N. Ireland so I haven't seen any places yet. Where else have you applied? I am considering Surrey, how quickly did they give you an offer? Sorry for all the questions haha 😃

yey another biological sciences applicant! i love Exeter ngl, the website says that the entry requirement for biology with a placement is A*AA-AAB so i'm presuming they could potentially offer that? i've also applied to Bristol, Surrey, Royal Holloway and Gloucestershire (which was supposed to be an insurance choice lol). I got an offer from Surrey 5 days after my application was sent off which was quite quick! where else are you applying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending