The Student Room Group

What are your Investment Banking ambitions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jacobus
Seriously though, do you truly believe you'll go beyond VP?

Seems most people will be capped at around £200k in about 10-15 years, if they don't suffer a mental breakdown/quit or are fired

nah doubt i'd make it to assoc before i do something else
Original post by OneDayIwill
What are my chances of landing in IB. I'm a first year studying accounting and finance at the uni of Leeds?

<1% like everybody else
Reply 22
Nope
Original post by Jacobus
What's the end goal for you?

Analyst 1 -> 2 -> Associate -> VP

Would you be happy being stuck at a VP position?

Would you want to become a director or an MD?

Or perhaps some of you just want to exploit a relatively high analyst salary then leave?

I wish to become a portfolio manager - AM rather than IBD; starting in research most likely.

So stay in the industry for 10+ yrs then by 45+ go into teaching at my secondary school.
Original post by Jacobus
What's the end goal for you?

Analyst 1 -> 2 -> Associate -> VP

Would you be happy being stuck at a VP position?

Would you want to become a director or an MD?

Or perhaps some of you just want to exploit a relatively high analyst salary then leave?

Depends tbh.

If I do get into to IBD, I would either decide to stay until at least ED/junior MD or move on to the private equity or venture capital to b-school path.

Eventually, however, I would really like to start my own tech company.

I don't think anyone would be 'happy' being 'stuck' but given the small number of promotion spots, some might just settle. And tbf, being a VP and pulling in £250-450k a year is quite solid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Papa John's Franchise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper
Papa John's Franchise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

SICK! Me too man
Mine:
- Get an internship in TMT coverage (can I do this without a CS/engineering/tech degree?)
- Convert this to an analyst position
- Hopefully work on some interesting deals
- Netowrk with PE and VC guys while being an analyst
- Get into a position in a VC fund that focuses on tech companies
- Start charity after retiring from finance
Original post by grabembythepussy
Mine:
- Get an internship in TMT coverage (can I do this without a CS/engineering/tech degree?)
- Convert this to an analyst position
- Hopefully work on some interesting deals
- Netowrk with PE and VC guys while being an analyst
- Get into a position in a VC fund that focuses on tech companies
- Start charity after retiring from finance

1. Yeah, there's no restriction on which coverage area you can go into based on degree.

Sounds like a good plan though (basically mine in a nutshell with one or two bits missing), keep it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
1. Yeah, there's no restriction on which coverage area you can go into based on degree.

Sounds like a good plan though (basically mine in a nutshell with one or two bits missing), keep it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man
You really believe that too, don't you. Wow.
Become a VP by 26 then take a gap year and go travelling to find myself
Original post by Breakingbank
Become a VP by 26 then take a gap year and go travelling to find myself

It takes 6 years at least to become a VP. If you graduate at 21, then you'll become a VP at 27 at the earliest
Original post by Ladbants
It takes 6 years at least to become a VP. If you graduate at 21, then you'll become a VP at 27 at the earliest

2 years analyst -> 3 years associate -> VP
Original post by Ladbants

Some banks have truncated 2.5 year analyst programmes (for all analysts) or straight up just fast track 2 year analyst programmes for strong performers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply